This natural world heritage site, and Natural New 7 Wonder of the World, is a haven of magnificent mountains plunging into crystal seas fringed with bleached white sands of the Cape Peninsula.
Fall asleep under a myriad stars and awake to the healing sounds of nature. Our picturesque and comfortable tented camps, situated in unrivalled natural surroundings offer the ideal getaway. View the Orange Kloof Tented Camp information...
Boulders Penguin Colony in Simons Town is home to a unique and endangered land-based colony of African Penguins. This colony is one of only a few in the world, and the site has become famous and a popular international tourist destination.
Where To Stay
Golden Kudu - Luxury LodgesView All Luxury Lodges
Organising a conference or event?
SANParks can cater for all conferencing needs, from arranging the venue, to the logistical arrangements, to organizing tailored pre and post conference activities.Booking Request Form
Seasonal Information Table Mountain National Park
Cape Town is experiencing the worst drought in recent history and we ask that you use water as sparingly as possible. Please report any leaking tap, toilet or pipe to the staff on duty. The showers in picnic sites and coastal ablutions have been switched off in line with current restrictions as have open taps outside of ablution blocks. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own drinking water or make use of retail outlets in and around the park.
Additional water restrictions may be implemented in our tourism facilities in line with water supply at the time.
The Rooikrans satellite parking area will be available as overflow parking for Cape Point between the 15th of December 2017 and the 05th of January 2018. There will be buses available to transport visitors to and from Rooikrans and they will run for free between the dates mentioned.
Additional staff are in place to assist visitors with parking at Cape Point over the festive period. Visitors are encouraged to follow the directional signage that will be in place over this time frame indicating parking availability and waiting times at Cape Point.
Visitors are encouraged to visit the park early in the day to avoid midday congestion at Cape Point and the picnic sites. A capacity allocation will be implemented at Cape Point and the gates will be closed daily when this threshold is reached. The beaches at Cape Point do not have life guards and you swim in the tidal pool or ocean at your own risk. Baboons are present in the park. Please do not feed the baboons and make sure that all food is packed away if baboons are present. For more information : 021 780 9204
Penguins are best viewed from the three boardwalks starting at the Boulders Visitor Centre. Visitors should pay careful attention to tides as this limits the available space on the beach. When the beach has reached capacity the gates are closed. The high and low tides are advertised at the entrance points daily although we would encourage visitors to consider this in advance when planning to visit Boulders to avoid disappointment.
We do not have life guards on duty at Boulders Beach and you swim at your own risk. Boulders Hours of Operation during December and January are: 07h00 – 19h30. No gazebos or tents are allowed on the beach, only standard umbrella’s. No alcohol or smoking is permitted in the park. Note selfie sticks are banned and we ask you respect the penguins space.
For more information : 021 786 2329. Parking is limited at Boulders and the parking areas become quickly congested. Should you encounter any traffic issues over season please contact 021 799 5100 and 021 812 4580
- No braaing is allowed in the summer months in Silvermine at the sites around the reservoir.
- We however do allow picnicking all year round. The picnic sites around the reservoir operate on a first come first serve basis and cannot be reserved.
- Cycling is only allowed during gate operating hours, and not at night.
- Day permits for cycling are available at the Gate 1 access point and may only be presented of ruse at this access point.
- Swimming is allowed in the reservoir but is at own risk and we do not have life guards on duty.
- Baboons do move through Silvermine. Please do not feed the baboons and make sure that all food is packed away if baboons are present.
- Silvermine Gate 1 opens at 7h00 closes at 19h00
- No entry permitted after 18:00 and no pass-outs allowed.
- A capacity allocation will be implemented at Silvermine and the gates will be closed when this allocation is reached.
- Silvermine has a policy of “what you bring in ,you take out.” Visitors to please take their litter with them.
- The Tokai Picnic site is open 365 days a year to members of the public and visitors are permitted to braai year round.
- No alcohol, music or gazebos allowed in the picnic site.
- Tokai Picnic Site at 7h00 closes at 18h00
- No entry permitted after 16:00 and no pass-outs allowed. No gazebos or tents are allowed, only standard umbrella’s. Please bring your own grid.
- Fires to be made in demarcated braaing sites/areas only.
- Baboons do enter the picnic site on occasion. Please do not feed the baboons and make sure that all food is packed away if baboons are present.
- Note there is an additional charge per vehicle entering the picnic site over and above the per adult child or child entry fee.
- For more information: contact the Tokai Picnic Kiosk: 021 715 5849.
- The Oudekraal Picnic site is open year round and operates on a first come first serve basis. In the summer Oudekraal is open daily.
- Oudekraal picnic site has no credit card machine and all entries have to be paid for in cash on arrival or upon production of a wild or green card.
- No alcohol or music is allowed in the picnic site. No gazebos or tents are allowed, only standard umbrella’s. Please bring your own grid.
- We do not have a life guard on duty at Oudekraal and you swim in the ocean at your own risk.
- Parking is limited.
- Open at 08h00 and closes at 18h00
- For more information: 021 422 1601
Newlands Picnic Site
- Newlands Picnic site has no credit card machine and all entries have to be paid for in cash on arrival or upon production of a wild or green card.
- No alcohol allowed. No bookings are taken for this site and it works on first come first serve basis.
- Please bring your own grid.
- Opens at 07h00 and closes at 18h00
- For more information : 021 422 1601
- Serious parking problems occurs with the Newlands Forest Parking area over weekends with the official parking area overflowing at approximately 09:00 on the weekends. Visitors to Newlands.
- Forest are requested to please comply with the applicable signage and not to park illegally. Cars that are parked illegally will be fined and cars that are blocking the entrance/exit for TMNP fire fighting vehicles will be towed away.
- An activity permit is required to walk you dog or cycle in Newlands Forest.
- For more information : 021 422 1601
Wild Cards and Green Cards
- Wild card and My Green card holders are reminded they need to produce proof of identification upon entering at all park gates. Every adult entering with a My Green Card holder also has to produce a valid form of SA ID.
- To facilitate entry at TMNP gates with your wild card please also have your confirmation letter available on request. A copy of the confirmation letter can be emailed to you if you call 0861 46 9453 or 021 712 7471
- A Wild Card and a My Green Card cannot be used to enter to go fishing, cycling or to walk your dog for example.
- More information and sales locations are available on : https://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php
- For more information: 021 712 7471 or 021 487 6800
Parking at Signal Hill is always challenging and we advise to avoid the congestion that you visit the site first thing in the morning before the bulk of the tourists arrive.
Film and Events
- We do not issue any film and event permits between 15th December and 15th January.
- Film office will reopen 8th January 2018 : to contact this office please email Saskia Marlowe on email@example.com
- For more information call 021 712 0527 or 021 712 7471
Visitor Safety and Indemnity
- The Park recommends that you never carry out your activity alone and strongly recommends you always have four or more buddies with you when out hiking, trail running. cycling or horse riding etc.
- Please load our emergency number into your phone before setting off 0861 106 417 or 107 and let someone know which route you will follow and when to expect you to return home. Please do not carry your valuable with you when carrying our your activity.
- Entry to the park remains at all times at your own risk and subject to the conditions of the Protected Areas Act for all sites in the park.
We are in fire season and ask that you be vigilant at all times. Should you notice a fire anywhere on the mountain please call the TMNP emergency number at 086 110 6417 or 107 from a landline and 021 480 7700 from a mobile phone. ……. Do not attempt to fight the fire on your own.
Sales Sites for the Purchase of Green Cards and Activity permits over Season
BURGSTREET AND CONTACT CENTRE
Mon – Friday - 8am – 6pm
Saturdays - 8h30am – 2pm
Sundays - 9am – 1pm
P/Holidays - 9am – 1pm
Mon – Friday - 8am – 5pm
Saturdays - 8am – 5pm
Sundays - 8am – 5pm
P/Holidays - 8am – 5pm
Mon – Friday - 8am – 6pm
Saturdays - 8am – 6pm
Sundays - 8am – 6pm
P/Holidays - 8am – 6pm
Monday – Friday (including public holidays)
06:00 – 21:00
Weekends (including public holidays)
08:00 – 20:00
Monday – Friday 08:00 – 17:00
Weekends 08:00 – 13:00
Public Holidays 08:00 – 13:00
25 Dec. & 01 Jan Closed
Monday – Friday 08:00 – 17:00
Weekends 08:00 – 13:00
Public Holidays 08:00 – 13:00
25 Dec. & 01 Jan Closed
NO CASH ONLY CREDIT CARDS
Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 16:00
Weekends from 09:00 to 13:00
From 13th December 2017 till the 8th January 2018
Closed 25th , 26th Dec and 1st Jan
Buffels Bay and Bordjiesrif Tidal Pools
Buffels Bay and Bordjiesrif Tidal Pools will have annual monthly maintenance done in the first week on December.
Perdekloof and Wildeschutsbrandt picnic sites
Both Perdekloof and Wildeschutsbrandt picnic sites have been damaged as a result of a fire that swept through the area. Both sites are closed until the damage can be repaired We ask that in the interim you make use of the Schusterskraal picnic site at Scarborough which is free entry to all visitors.
Fire Season and Braaiing in Table Mountain National Park
Fire Season will officially commence in the park as of the 11th of November 2017.
No braais will be allowed at Silvermine for the duration of the fire season. Picnic Site users can still braai in the official picnic sites in the designated braai stands. Please note that water taps outside ablutions have been turned off during the drought and we ask that you prepare to take your dishes and grid home with you to wash.
Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre Cape Point
The shop at Buffelsfontein visitor centre will close as of 1 November 2017. We regret we are no longer able to offer this service and request all guests utilise the Two Oceans Restaurant and / or take away at Cape Point for refreshments.
The visitor information centre and toilets at Buffelsfontein will remain fully operational.
Telephone line down - Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre
The telephone line at the Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre is not operational . Please call 021 712 7471 for information about Cape Point.
Cape Point Road
On the 27th September 2017 from 6am onwards there will be a stop go in place on the Cape Point Road. This is to allow a maintenance contractor to work on the road to create a smoother road surface. The work should take approximately 6 weeks to complete.
We thank you in advance for your patience in this regard.
We do not allow recreational drones to overfly Table Mountain National Park at any location.
Boulders Penguin Colony upgrade
Construction will commence shortly at the Boulders Penguin Colony in Simonstown, Cape Town as the location undergoes an upgrade. Construction is scheduled to span over the next 8 months and work will be completed in three phases to accommodate visitors wishing to enter the park. Access to visitors will be uninterrupted and the operational hours of the park will remain unchanged. It is however important to note the Boulders Info Centre will be closed during the construction period. Boulders telephone numbers will remain the same and should remain operational over the period.
TMNP Management thanks the public in advance for their patience and cooperation.
- Upper Tokai has reopened for cycling and horse riding on certain tracks on the weekends only : Saturday and Sunday 8am to 6pm
- Parking in the Tokai Picnic site
- Activity permit accepted or day fee applies: R75.00
- Please have cash on hand for a day permit.
Cape Town experiencing water restrictions
Cape Town is experiencing water restrictions and we ask that all visitors to the park use water sparingly. Please ensure that after you have used any tap that is properly closed. We appreciate your assistance with our drive to save water.
Revised EMP for Mountain Biking and Road Cycling in TMNP
To whom it may concern,
Following an extensive review process, SANParks and the Table Mountain Mountain Biking Forum, together with SANBI, are hereby pleased to release the revised, approved Environmental Management Programme(EMP) for Recreational Road Cycling and Mountain Biking: Table Mountain National Park (TMNP), which becomes effective on 1 December 2016.
Please find attached the EMP report and the Comments and Responses Report for the Review of Environmental Management Programme (EMP) for Mountain Biking: Table Mountain National Park.Mountain Biking Environmental Management Plan
The Park thanks you for your participation and input into this process.
Gate upgrade at Cape Point
The road at the gate is being redesigned to accommodate the upgrade of the gate. This is causing slightly longer delays on arrival at peak times. Please be patient as we process people through the gate as quickly as possible.
If you are entering on a wild card please have it ready to present on arrival or your confirmation letter. If you don’t have a current confirmation letter please call 021 7127471 and ask them to email you a copy.
If you are a tour guide please ensure your tour guide card is available to check and is valid.
Buses at Cape Point
Large buses need to exercise caution when using the bus lane at Cape Point Main Gate as we are in the process of adding an additional lane to the gate. Although there are barrier fences up and warning and directional signage in place, the lane is narrower than usual due to the upgrade. In addition there are workers and delivery vehicles on site so we ask that drivers be extra cautious when approaching the facility.
Trail closures in TMNP
Swartkopberg ( Smitswinkel) Trail is under repair and currently closed.
The Chapmans Peak footpath (on the Noordhoek side) is closed indefinitely.
Hikers and Recreational Users Advisory: Fire-affected Areas in Simon's Town
The fire-affected areas are as follow:
- From Klawer Valley over the Swartkopberg Mountain into Simon's Town.
- North Peak, Swartkop and Simonsberg have burnt from Signal School through Blockhouse Gap to Rocklands.
- It is not recommended that Blockhouse Gap be used for hiking at this time.
- Signal School steps and Admirals Waterfall path is still open, as well as is the area from Signal School to Red Hill Road.
Filming, Events and Functions
Table Mountain National Park will close for all filming, events and functions (bar Signal Hill) on 15 December 2017 and reopen on 15 January 2018. Oudekraal remains open for function bookings.
- TMNP recommends that all activities including but not limited to walking, jogging, trail running, cycling and horse riding are to be carried out in groups of four or more.
- Stay on demarcated pathways and trails.
- Wear the correct hiking gear and shoes.
- Do not carry valuables, cash, cameras, etc.
- Cycle, hike or run during daylight hours only.
- Keep an eye on the weather and other mountain conditions.
- Inform at least one other person not participating in an activity with you of your destination and estimated arrival time.
- 30th October 2017 - Media Release: Differential Fees For TMNP Take Effect From 1 November 2018
Posted by: SHR PR & Media (31st August 2017)
Posted by: Kaapsedraai (19th May 2017)
Posted by: o-dog (15th May 2017)
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Hoerikwaggo Tented Camps
Sunny< br>Min: 13°C / Max: 27°C