By using this website, you acknowledge that you have reviewed the terms of this Privacy Notice and consent to use of your Personal Information (the “Privacy Notice and Consent”) and agree that we may Process your Personal Information in accordance therewith. If you do not agree to these Privacy Notice and Consent, then you are not allowed to use this Website and should immediately terminate such usage.
1.1. The following terminology applies to this Privacy Notice and Consent: “we”, “us” or “our” refers to SANParks and “you” or “your” refers to our customer, suppliers, subscribers, visitors and/or users of our website. Any use of the aforesaid terminology or other words in the singular, plural, capitalization, are taken as interchangeable and therefore as referring to same.
1.2. Any reference to “website” shall be deemed to include all platforms and/or portal of SANParks made available to you either as a customer, subscriber, supplier and/or user.
1.3. Any capital term used in this Privacy Notice and Consent shall unless specifically defined, be deemed be defined in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPI Act), which can be found at the following link: https://www.gov.za/documents/protection-personal-information-act.
2.1. We respect the privacy of everyone who visits our website. As a result we would like to inform you regarding the way we would use your Personal Information. We encourage you to read this Privacy Notice and Consent so that you understand how we Process your Personal Information. By submitting your Personal Information to us, you will be treated as having given your permission (where necessary and appropriate) for disclosures referred to in this Privacy Notice.
2.2. If you do not agree with this Privacy Notice and Consent, you may choose not to register on our website nor contact us however this may impact on our ability to interact with you, and where applicable, support you as a customer or supplier. This Privacy Notice and Consent forms part of our Terms and Conditions of Use and such shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
2.3. This Privacy Notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your Personal Information, as is required by the POPI Act. At SANParks we are committed to protecting your privacy impact and to ensure that your Personal Information is processed properly, lawfully and openly.
3. Who We Are
3.1. As a leading conservation authority, SANParks is a public entity under the jurisdiction of the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, where inclusive conservation as opposed to previous policies of exclusion, are central to advancing the policies in line with the National Development Framework for Sustainable Development and the national Development Plan. The National Environmental Management Protected Areas Act mandates SANParks to create destinations for nature-based tourism in a manner that is not harmful to the environment. As SANParks is primarily a self-funding entity generating approximately 80% of its operating budget from its ecotourism business; fulfilment of its conservation mandate is heavily reliant on a thriving and sustainable tourism operations.
4. Collection of Personal Information
4.1. We collect and Process your Personal Information mainly to provide you with access to our services and products, to help us improve our offerings to you, to support our contractual relationship with you and for certain other purposes explained below. The type of information we collect will depend on the purpose for which it is collected and used. We will only collect information that we need for that purpose.
4.2. We collect Personal Information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details, for example when you purchase or supply a product or services to or from us or when you submit enquiries to us or contact us. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
4.3. Examples of information we collect from you are:
- ID/Passport Number
- email address
- telephone/cell number
- user-generated content, posts and other content you submit to our website
4.4. We also collect information about you from other sources as explained below.
4.5. With your Consent, we may also supplement the information that you provide to us with information we receive from other companies, platforms in our industry in order to offer you a more consistent and personalized experience in your interactions with SANParks.
5. Collection of Non-Personal Information
5.1. We may automatically collect non-Personal Information about you such as the type of internet browsers you use or the website from which you linked to our website. We may also aggregate details which you have submitted to the site (for example, the products or services you are interested in). You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on this web site. We may from time to time supply third parties with this non-personal or aggregated data for uses in connection with this website.
6. Cookies Policy
We use the term “cookies” to refer to cookies and other similar technologies covered by the POPI Act on privacy in electronic communications.
7. What is a Cookie?
Cookies are small data files that your browser places on your computer or device. Cookies help your browser navigate a website and the cookies themselves cannot collect any information stored on your computer or your files. When a server uses a web browser to read cookies they can help a website deliver a more user-friendly service. To protect your privacy, your browser only gives a website access to the cookies it has already sent to you.
9. How are third party cookies used?
10. How do I reject and delete cookies?
11. How we use your information
11.1. We will use your Personal and Non-Personal Information only for the purposes for which it was collected or agreed with you, for example:
- Analyse the effectiveness of our advertisements, competitions and promotions;
- Collect information about the device you are using to view the site, such as your IP address or the type of Internet browser or operating system you are using, and link this to your Personal Information so as to ensure that the site presents the best web experience for you;
- Evaluate the use of the site, products and services;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- For market research purposes;
- For monitoring and auditing site usage;
- Help speed up your future activities and experience on the site. For example, a site can recognise that you have provided your Personal Information and will not request the same information a second time;
- In connection with legal proceedings;
- Make the site easier to use and to better tailor the site and our products to your interests and needs;
- Offer you the opportunity to take part in competitions or promotions;
- Personalise your website experience, as well as to evaluate (anonymously and in the aggregate) statistics on website activity, such as what time you visited it, whether you’ve visited it before and what site referred you to it;
- Suggest products or services (including those of relevant third parties) which we think may be of interest to you;
- To assist with business development;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised customer for security purposes;
- To contact you regarding products and services which may be of interest to you, provided you have given us consent to do so or you have previously requested a product or service from us and the communication is relevant or related to that prior request and made within any timeframes established by applicable laws;
- To notify you about changes to our service;
- To respond to your queries or comments;
11.2. We will also use your Personal Information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or industry codes to which we subscribe or which apply to us, or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
11.3. Where we collect Personal Information for a specific purpose, we will not keep it for longer than is necessary to fulfil that purpose, unless we have to keep it for legitimate business or legal reasons. In order to protect information from accidental or malicious destruction, when we delete information from our services we may not immediately delete residual copies from our servers or remove information from our backup systems.
11.4. You can opt out of receiving communications from us at any time. Any direct marketing communications that we send to you will provide you with the information and means necessary to opt out.
12. Disclosure of Personal Information
12.1. We may disclose your Personal Information to our business partners, suppliers who are involved in the delivery of products or services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with these privacy terms.
12.2. We may share your Personal Information with, and obtain information about you from:
- Third parties for the purposes listed above;
- Other companies in our industry when we believe it will enhance the services and products we can offer to you, but only where you have not objected to such sharing; and/or
- Other third parties from whom you have chosen to receive marketing information.
12.3. We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
13. Personal Information Security
13.1. We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the Personal Information we hold and to stop unauthorised access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your Personal Information is secure.
13.2. Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Access to personal information;
- Computer and network security;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
- Monitoring access and usage of personal information;
- Physical security;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Secure communications; and
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
13.3. When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that Personal Information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
13.4. We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your Personal Information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
14. Access to your Personal Information
14.1. You have the right to request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our home page and specify what information you would like. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
14.2. Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee, as laid down in our POPI Act Policy.
15. Correction of your Personal Information
15.1. You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before making changes to Personal Information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would take the necessary steps to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date by notifying us of any changes we need to be aware of.
16. Retention of personal data
SANParks will retain your data in compliance with the POPI Act and in compliance with other applicable legislation.
17. Automated Decision Making
SANParks does not use Automated Decision Making in connection with your personal data.
18. Right to object
In terms of the POPI Act (POPIA) section 18. (h) (iv) you have the right to object to the processing of personal information as referred to in section 11(3) of the POPIA.
19. Right to lodge a complaint
19.1. In terms of the POPI Act (POPIA) section 18. (h) (v) you have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator (South Africa) (IRSA). The IRSA contact details are:
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O Box 31533
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: [email protected]
20. Changes to this notice
Please note that we may amend this notice from time to time. Please check our website periodically to inform yourself of any changes.
21. How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice or believe we have not adhered to it, or need further information about our privacy practices or wish to give or withdraw consent, exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website [www.sanparks.org] in the SANParks PAIA Manual.