Skip to Content

TMNP Access Cards, Activity Permits & Wild Cards

Visitors to Table Mountain National Park (Cape Point, Boulders, Silvermine, Tokai and Oudekraal) must either pay a daily Conservation Fee or they may enter with their valid Wild Card or TMNP My Green Card*. Valid Activity Permits for special entry apply e.g. dog walking.

My Green Card*

Green Card

The TMNP My Green Card is available exclusively to South African residents of Cape Town, costs R145 and provides the holder with 12 free entries into any of the Table Mountain National Park’s pay points: Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point); Boulders Penguin Colony, Oudekraal and Silvermine, as well as to the braai and picnic areas at Tokai, Newlands and Perdekloof. It offers fantastic value.

FAQs: My Green Card

What do I need to bring with me when buying My Green Card?

  • You’ll need the R145 for the card; a South African ID document; 2 ID photographs and proof of residence (not older than three months).

May I bring friends and family along when using My Green Card?

  • Yes! The card holder is welcome to bring along friends/family (a maximum of six (6) SA citizens may be clipped off the card on any given day - five (5) South African Citizens and the cardholder). Proof of ID will be required to be produced by all adults. *** Please note: each guest brought in on the My Green Card (in addition to the main card holder) will be clipped as an entry on the card. ***

Must I present my actual ID book when using My Green Card?

  • When presenting a My Green Card at a TMNP pay point you will asked to present your ID book or drivers licence. It must be the original document and cannot be a copy that is on your smart phone. Remember every adult entering with you on the My Green Card will also need to present South African ID or a South African drivers licence.

May I renew the card once the 12 entries have been used?

  • You are only allowed one card per 12 months (one year). Once your 12 entries have been used, you may reapply after the relapse of the 12 month period or purchase a SANParks Wild Card.

Where can I buy My Green Card?

What do I need to renew My Green Card?

  • Two ID photos, your ID book and proof of residence in Cape Town (no older than three months).

Must the photos be printed on Photo paper?

  • The photos must be printed on photo quality paper. We do not accept photocopies of photographs.

How long before I get My Green Card after application?

  • It will be issued to you immediately.

Can the My Green Card be used in lieu of conservation fees for Table Mountain National Park accommodation?

  • No.

Is the My Green Card clipped per entry or per person entering?

  • A My Green Card is clipped per person entering on the card, hence a clip for the card holder and an additional clip for each person entering with him. Note the maximum entry is set up as the card holder and five South African citizens. A maximum of six clips may be used per entry.

Is My Green Card replaceable if lost or stolen?

  • No, it is not replaceable and you cannot purchase another one until the 12 months validity period has expired.

Can I use a PO Box as proof of address?

  • No, we need proof of physical street address.

Can I use my husbands or wife’s proof of address?

  • No, the address you use as proof must specifically list your name. The proof may however be for something that is addressed to Mrs and Mrs ABC. Such as a rates account.

What do I do if I don’t own the property I live at but lease it?

  • You can use a lease as proof of address provided the lease is in your name.

Can I use a bank statement as proof residence?

  • Yes provided it reflects your address.

What if my adult child lives at home and does not have proof of address?

  • A parent can make an affidavit witnessed by a commissioner of oaths ( easiest place to do this is at a Police Station) that the adult child lives at home and attach a copy of their rates account as proof of residence.

Click here to download the Green Card Application form

Please note:

  • When buying a card - you will need R135 for the card; a South African ID document; 2 ID photographs and proof of residence.
  • Permits for specific recreational activities (dog walking, mountain biking, fishing, crayfishing, etc.) and/or permits for commercial purposes (special events, filming, photography, tour guiding, etc.) are not included when purchasing a SANParks Wild Card or TMNP My Green Card and must be obtained separately.

My Activity Permit

Green Card

The TMNP My Activity Permit is required by individuals who make use of the Park to undertake a specific/variety of activities. Activities requiring a permit are as follow:

A valid DAFF recreational fishing permit is required when purchasing Level 3 line fishing or Marine Species Access permit respectively for use in Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point).

  • Level 1 – Dog-walking (R270)
  • Level 1 - Multi User Level 1 card additional member (R100.00)
  • Level 2 – Hang-gliding and paragliding, sport climbing (R400)
  • Level 3 – Horse-riding, mountain biking, line fishing and transport (R550)
  • Level 3 - Additional member (R230.00)

FAQs: My Activity Permit

For how long is the TMNP My Activity Permit valid for?

  • For 12 months from date of purchase.

Does the cost of My Activity Permit include the cost of access?

  • Holders of a My Activity Permit will not be required to pay the entrance fees when accessing TMNP pay points to carry out their specified activity.

Where can I buy the TMNP My Activity Permit?

Must the photos be printed on Photo paper?

  • The photos must be printed on photo quality paper. We do not accept photocopies of photographs.

How long before I get My Activity Permit after application?

  • It will be issued to you immediately.

Can I replace My Activity Permit if it is lost or stolen?

  • Yes, your card can be replaced but will be dated to the expiry date of the initial permit. To process the replacement you will need the receipt from your initial purchase, two (2) ID photos and you will be charged an admin fee to process the replacement.

What do I need to renew My Activity Permit?

  • Two (2) ID photos, proof of identity and a signed copy of the application form .

Is the My Activity Permit included in the cost of my Wild Card?

  • No it is not . The Wild Card is a national access card for leisure and the My Activity Permit only covers activities within Table Mountain National Park

Does the My Activity Permit cover access for hiking/walking?

  • No the activity permit covers only specifically mentioned high impact activities and does not cover hiking/ walking

Why do we need an activity permit?

  • The management of TMNP have been designated to SANParks in terms of the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act SANParks has both national and international mandates to manage the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) as a National Park and World Heritage Site with respect to conserving this precious and threatened eco-system and globally recognised biodiversity hotspot. The task falls to management to accommodate users while protecting the natural environment so that it can be managed in a sustainable manner taking into to account the enjoyment of future generations and not only current users. Park management strives to ensure that areas that lend themselves to recreational usage are used in a way that impacts on the environment and other users as little as possible.
    When Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) was established there was a need to formally recognize appropriate recreational activities within the managed area of TMNP as these activities have impacts on both the environment and other users of the park and some activities are not normally allowed in a National Park (including dog-walking, horse riding, rock climbing and using the Park for commercial gain).
    In response to this challenge, TMNP therefore developed through a series of various public processes, Environmental Management Programs (EMPs) for dog walking; hang and paragliding; sport/rock climbing; horse riding; mountain biking as the management framework to manage these diverse recreational activities in the Park.
    These EMPs include:
    • an overview of the current status of an activity and a brief summary of impacts and issues
    • an environmental policy
    • a strategic approach to respond to impacts and issues
    • guidelines for implementation of the EMP
    • maps of the approved routes, areas and entry/exit points
    • a permitting system
    • a Code of Conduct
    These EMP's require users to obtain permits, respect the rules and regulations of the Park, undertake their activity with care and consideration for other users and to protect and conserve the natural and heritage resources of the Park.
    It needs to be noted that the Activity Permits are not access cards but permits to undertake certain high impact recreational activities in a National Park. The Protected Areas Act and Regulations also make provision for the management authority to introduce such permits. In preparing the recreational Environmental Management Programs (EMPs), TMNP has over the years consulted with the various recreational stakeholders. All recreational activities (EMPs) are also prepared in terms of the Park's Conservation Development Framework (CDF) which were developed in consultation with all stakeholders including the City of Cape Town. These EMPs introduce a code of conduct for each recreational activity to promote best practice and appropriate behaviour by Park users so as to limit impacts and conflicts between users.
    Rather than abuse their privilege of undertaking activities in the Park we would encourage users to conduct themselves responsibly in the Park by following the requirements of the relevant EMP. In this way we will all make the activities undertaken a safe and appropriate low impact means of enjoying and appreciating the Park.

How are the costs of the activity permit calculated?

  • The baseline cost is pegged against the individual Wild Card rate which covers use of the Park for that activity as well the impacts associated with the activity.

Where is the money spent?

  • TMNP is part of SANParks, a national organisation which manages 21 National Parks around the country and whose primary mandate is conservation. Income that the Park generates is used to fund the conservation of the mountain chain from Table Mountain to Cape Point, including invasive alien plant clearing, fire management, veld rehabilitation and soil erosion programmes. The contributions made by the Activity Cards toward sustaining our National Park forms part of this system. TMNP is 24 000 hectares and the funds currently utilised for veld infrastructure, conservation and management, which includes cycle tracks, is far in excess of the money raised by the activity permit system.

Who owns the plantations in Tokai and Cecilia? Who gets the money from the trees and what is the plan for felling for the next few years?

  • Tokai and Cecilia are not natural forests but commercial plantations established in the early 1900s by government to provide timber for industry.
    The decision to phase out commercial plantations on the Peninsula was not made by SANParks but by the central government in 1999. The trees are not being removed as part of an alien clearing program; they are being harvested on a commercial basis. Furthermore, the trees are not being harvested by SANParks but by a private company, Cape Pine, formerly known as MTO Forestry, which was awarded the public tender by the then Dept. of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF) in 2004. As part of the tender process, MTO Forestry purchased the trees from Government and has a 20-year lease with DAFF, managed by SANParks, in terms of which they harvest the plantation trees in compartments of same age trees. This is a contractually binding, irreversible legal commitment. Once the trees in a compartment are harvested by Cape Pine, that land is then transferred to SANParks management as part of Table Mountain National Park.
    The Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF) is the land owner of the Tokai and Cecilia Plantations and therefore Cape Pine's original lessor. Tokai and Cecilia are located within a designated nature area - the Cape Peninsula Protected Natural Environment (CPPNE) and when the TMNP was established the government agreed that that the conservation worthy land within the CPPNE be incorporated into the TMNP over time. To this end, DWAF has formally assigned to SANParks, by declaration in the Government Gazette, the management of the plantations and rehabilitation of the land.
    Following the public participation process initiated by SANParks in 2006 regarding the rehabilitation of the areas and future plans for Tokai and Cecilia, the Tokai and Cecilia Management Framework successfully achieves the compromise many have called for, as it seeks to accommodate biodiversity, heritage, recreational and eco-tourism concerns and opportunities.
    Critically, the Management Framework addresses the thorny issue of shade provision:
    1. The plantations are being harvested over a 20-year period. Some of the plantation compartments, which provide for shaded recreation, will remain until the end of the lease period in 2024.
    2. Various existing shaded areas will be retained such as the Arboretum, braai site (albeit in a re-aligned form), certain areas of gum trees and historic plantings (e.g. cork oaks, red woods etc.).
    3. The Management Framework proposes the establishment of shaded routes at both Tokai and Cecilia. An example is the multi-use, perimeter shade route at lower Tokai, below Orpen Road. The perimeter shade route has proved popular for recreational use by walkers, dog walkers, cyclists and horse riders. At Cecilia a shaded route from Constantia Nek to Kirstenbosch is planned which will provide 'broken' shade along existing heritage plantings (the cork oaks), through the riverine kloofs and 'transition' planting areas.
    4. A radical concept was developed in the consultation process for the establishment of 'transition planting areas' where non-invasive exotic shade trees could be planted in designated areas in cyclical transition with Fynbos. These areas are along the periphery of lower Tokai, adjacent to the Tokai Arboretum and on the lower slopes of Cecilia. The type of tree appropriate to the area will be determined through further study and consultation with stakeholders.
    5. Finally, recognising that TMNP is a World Heritage Site and nationally protected conservation area, there are within the city areas, 18km of established public open space that form part of the Constantia and Tokai greenbelt system which can be planted with shade trees for recreation.
    Since taking on the management of Tokai and Cecilia, SANParks is investing an additional R8 million over and above normal operational expenditure into alien clearing, footpath upgrades, tree planting, erosion control, braai site upgrades, shade route establishment, signage, minor access point upgrades etc.
    TMNP is acutely aware of the devastated appearance after plantation stands of mature pine trees have been harvested, but can point to the highly successful rehabilitation of such plantation areas back to natural Fynbos and indigenous forest, as can be witnessed at Newlands, Orangekloof, Silvermine, Vlakkenberg and rehabilitated areas of Tokai and Cecilia.

Why are invasive alien plants growing in Tokai and TMNP does nothing to remove them?

  • TMNP plans for invasive alien plant clearing annually. This planning includes the prioritisation of clearing according to the conservation status of the area, age of infestation, location of infestation and species type. For Tokai, the critically endangered Cape Flats Sand Plein Fynbos areas have received the highest priority and in this regard the whole of the Lower Tokai area has been cleared over a number of years. In Upper Tokai the focus with regards to invasive alien plant clearing has been in the areas where the plantations have been removed . Clearing of these compartments has been planned for Tokai in the coming 24 months.
  • Invasive alien plants such as Port Jackson, Rooikrans and black wattle are cleared to allow for the rehabilitation of indigenous vegetation, improved water yield and to reduce the risk of fires.
    Alien invasive plant clearing is an on-going process and will continue for many years as seeds of these plants remain viable in the soil for decades. This process is labour intensive and as the Park cannot manage alone within its existing staff compliment it also relies on volunteer groups for assistance.

Are the bike tracks in Tokai being maintained?

  • Basic maintenance is undertaken in Tokai, but the focus is currently on areas where the tracks will not be impacted on by other land use activities e.g. clear-felling operations, rehab areas and environmentally sensitive areas. Resources that could be invested in track maintenance are unfortunately also needed to close illegal tracks. Maintenance is an on-going process and the Park is appreciative of the efforts of Volunteer groups who assist in this regard.
    As SANParks core business is biodiversity conservation, its resources are directed at conservation programmes such as alien invasive plant clearing (R15M), fire management (R8M), and rehabilitation (R3M) on an annual basis. In this way the environmental integrity of an area and its landscape is ensured. Only once this is achieved may the sustainable use of an area be considered.

Why is TMNP not burning blocks where felling has recently occurred?

  • One of the aims of the Tokai Management Framework is to restore the Cape Flats Sand Fynbos (critically endangered) and Peninsula Granite Fynbos (endangered) vegetation types. Both of these vegetation types require fire as part of their natural regeneration system, fire is also needed to germinate the seeds in the soil. Burning should be done as soon as possible after felling but can be delayed for a number of years post-felling. Firstly, Prescribed burning is a managed process and park management are often at the mercy of the permitting authorities who are very concerned with human health and safety more so than the restoration of vegetation. Secondly, to conduct a successful prescribed burn a large consolidated area is needed for a safe and ecologically successful burn. The challenge that TMNP face is that as Cape Pine fell compartment / blocks of pines they often do not take into consideration the need for prescribed burns. This results in felled blocks that are too small and fragmented to allow for a safe burn (risk of fire spreading into an adjacent pine block). Hence TMNP is often constrained in its ability to burn pine blocks in Tokai that have been felled and rather have to wait for larger units to be cleared before burning. Park management are working with Cape Pine to plan the felling of larger units that can be burnt soon after felling, but this is not always possible.

Why do rates increase annually in November ?

  • In order for TMNP to remain sustainable, annual rate increases are necessary to accommodate escalating operational activities and conservation programmes. The annual rate increase takes place on 1 November each year. TMNP is acutely aware of the competing needs of all users and are constantly engaging in a variety of projects to ensure that the park remains an attractive destination to all.

Dog Walking

If I have a Wild Card do I have everything I need to walk my dog in Table Mountain National park?

  • No you need a My Activity Permit, level one, to do so.

What is a level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit?

  • This permit allows the main member and up to three (3) other additional members the opportunity to purchase a level 1 permit at a discounted rate. The discounted rate only applies to the additional members as the main member will still pay the standard tariff.

What does the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit cost?

  • The main member will pay R270.00 and each additional member will pay R100.00 (up to three additional members may be appended to the main members' application). Rates quoted are subject to the annual tariff increases on 1 November annually.

How does the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit work?

  • On application the main member may apply along with (up to) three additional members for a level 1 My Activity Permit to walk up to 2 dogs. The main member may only add additional members on application or renewal and may not do so during the course of the year, nor may a member's name be exchanged during the course of the membership.
    Each applicant has to complete and sign the application form and provide 2 x ID photos of themselves when the main member applies.
    Each applicant will receive their own My Activity Permit which they are obligated to carry with them when out walking the dog(s).
    Each applicant is bound by the same set of rules, terms, conditions, code of conduct and EMP for dog walking as the main member.

Do the additional members need to be family members of the main member?

  • No.

Can the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit be used for commercial purposes in TMNP?

  • No.

How many dogs can be walked on a level 1 permit?

  • Two (2) dogs.

Can my spouse use my level 1 My Activity Permit to walk the dogs?

  • No, only the person in whose name the permit is issued, may use the permit.

Do I always need to carry My Activity Permit with me when I carry out an activity?

  • Yes.

Can I buy a day walking permit?

  • Yes, at Silvermine Gate one can buy a day dog walking permit to enter Silvermine with up to two dogs.

Can a child under 12 walk a dog alone with an activity permit?

  • All children under 12 need to be accompanied and supervised by an adult when carrying out an activity.


Can you enter the Cape of Good Hope (COGH) section of Table Mountain National Park to cycle on a Wild Card or My Green Card?

  • No you need to present a level 3 activity permit or you need to purchase the daily cycling permit.

If I have a level 3 activity permit do I have unlimited entries to COGH to cycle?

  • Yes.

Can I take a friend in with me on my level 3 activity permit?

  • No.

Where else could I cycle with the level 3 activity permit?

  • You can cycle on a level 3 activity permit anywhere within Table Mountain National Park where cycling is allowed in terms of the EMP such as Silvermine and Tokai.

Can I enter the COGH section of Table Mountain National Park on my activity permit if I am not cycling?

  • No, you would then either need to pay the daily conservation fees at the gate or present a My Green card or Wild Card.

Who may purchase the daily cycling permit?

  • Both locals and foreign nationals may purchase the daily cycling permit.

Day cycling fees vary across the park

  • Please call 021 712 7471 to confirm the prices.

Cycling routes in the northern section of TMNP

Can I cycle and exercise my dog at the same time?

  • No, you may only carry out one activity at a time

Horse Riding

Do I need a permit to ride my horse in Table Mountain National Park?

  • Yes, you need a level 3 permit

Can I ride my horse and exercise my dog at the same time?

  • No you may only carry out one activity at a time.

Is the level 3 permit issued to the horse or to the rider?

  • The permit is issued in the name of the rider and can thus be used irrespective of which horse is ridden to enter the park.

Can I give my groom my activity permit to use?

  • No , your groom will need his or her own permit.

Are Day Horse riding permits available?

  • Yes at the Tokai Picnic Site for Lower Tokai and at Silvermine gate for Noordhoek Beach and Wetlands.

How do I get a remote for the Zwaanswyk gate?

Is the permit for one or more horses?

  • The permit is for one horse


Click here to download the My Activity Permit form

Sales Outlets for the My Green Card and My Activity Permit

The Table Mountain National Park My Green Card and My Activity Permit is now available at the following Cape Town Tourism offices. Remember to take with you your 2 ID photos, ID and, in the case of the My Green Card, your printed proof of residence:

Tourism Offices

Cape Town International Airport

  • Visitor Information Kiosk
    t: +27 (0)21 934 1949 (select '2')
    Mondays to Fridays: 06:00 - 21:00
    Saturdays and Sundays: 08:00 - 20:00

City Centre

  • Pinnacle Building, Cnr Burg & Castle Streets
    t: +27 (0)21 487 6800 • f: +27 (0)21 487 6859
    Mondays to Fridays: 08:30 - 16:30
    Saturdays: 08:30 - 13:00


  • Gate 1, Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
    t: +27 (0)21 762 0687 • f: +27(0)21 761 4223
    Mondays to Sundays: 08:30 - 16:30

Simon's Town

  • 111 St George’s Street
    t: +27 (0)21 786 8440 • f: +27 (0)21 786 8459
    Mondays to Fridays: 08:30 - 17:00
    Saturdays and Sundays: 09:00 - 13:00

Somerset West

  • Southey's Vines, 186 Main Road
    t: +27 (0)21 840 1400 • f: +27 (0)21 840 1410
    Mondays to Fridays: 09:00 - 18:00
    Saturdays and Sundays: 09:00 - 13:00

Long Street

  • City Sightseeing Travel Depot, 79 Long Street
    t: +27 (0)21 424 0984
    The hours of operation are 7 days a week, 08:00 - 18:00

Table Mountain National Park offices:

Wild Card Sales & Renewals: Tokai Tourist Office

  • Tokai Tourist Office, Tokai Road, Tokai, 7945
    Mondays to Fridays: 08:00-15:45
    Closed daily from 12:30 p.m. - 13:00 p.m.
  • Purchase a Wild Card online.

Marine Species Access Permit

A valid DAFF recreational fishing permit is required when purchasing Level 3 line fishing or Marine Species Access permit respectively for use in Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point).

FAQs: Marine Species Access Permit

Where can I buy a Marine Species Access Permit?

  • You can only purchase this permit from the Sanparks Tokai Tourism Sales office in Tokai Road, Tokai - Tel: (021) 712 7471

What do I need to take in with me when I go to purchase the Marine Species Access Permit?

  • You will need x 2 ID Photographs of yourself, your ID book and your valid annual DAFF recreational fishing permit from the post office.

How much does the permit cost?

  • It costs R820 and allows 12 entries into the Cape of Good Hope Section of the park for the movement and introduction of specified marine resources through a national park for recreational purposes.

Can I get another Marine Species Access permit in one season?

  • Yes you may get 3 renewals per fishing season after the purchase of the initial permit: same terms, costs and conditions of application apply.

Does the Marine Species Access Permit include level 1 . 2 and 3?

  • No it does not.

What are the current season dates for crayfishing?

  • Please refer to the DAFF website for season dates.

FAQs: Wild Card Purchases

Can I purchase a Wild Card at the Cape of Good Hope (COGH) entrance point?

  • Due to technical (data line inadequacies) and logistical/design (availability of parking and office/admin space) constraints coupled with the large numbers of visitors at the COGH entrance to the Table Mountain National Park we have never been able to sell Wild Cards at this entrance point.
    The old practice of paying the normal conservation fee at the COGH entrance and then obtaining a credit/refund on purchasing a Wild Card at the Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre within the Park has been stopped as our auditors have indicated that this practice is not in compliance with the Public Finances management Act.

Contact us

For more information on the TMNP My Green Card and Activity Permits , please contact the Tokai Tourist office on:

Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?

Help us improve! Did you find what you were looking for?