Skip to Content

My Activity Permit

The TMNP My Activity Permit is required by individuals who make use of the Park to undertake a specific/variety of activities. Activities requiring a permit are as follows:

  • Level 1 – Dog-walking (R360)
  • Level 1 – Multi User Level 1 card additional member (R140)
  • Level 2 – Hang-gliding and paragliding, sport climbing (R530)
  • Level 3 – Horse-riding, cycling, line fishing and transport (R735)
  • Level 3 – Additional member (R320)

A valid DAFF recreational fishing permit is required when purchasing Level 3 line fishing or Marine Species Access permit respectively for use in Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point).

View/Download the My Activity Permit form


For how long is the TMNP My Activity Permit valid?

For 12 months from the date of purchase.

Does the cost of My Activity Permit include the cost of access?

Holders of a My Activity Permit will not be required to pay the entrance fees when accessing TMNP pay points to carry out their specified activity.

Where can I buy the TMNP My Activity Permit?

Tokai Plantation Office, Tokai Road, Tokai (Mondays to Fridays 08:00 to 12:30 and 13:00 to 15:45).

If using Google Maps, enter Tokai Wild Card Sales Office as your destination and you will be directed to the front door.

Must the photos be printed on Photo paper?

The photos must be printed on photo-quality paper. We do not accept photocopies of photographs.

How long before I get My Activity Permit after application?

It will be issued to you immediately.

Can I replace My Activity Permit if it is lost or stolen?

Yes, your card can be replaced but will be dated to the expiry date of the initial permit. To process the replacement you will need the receipt from your initial purchase, two (2) ID photos and you will be charged an admin fee to process the replacement.

What do I need to renew My Activity Permit?

Two (2) ID photos, proof of identity and a signed copy of the application form.

Is My Activity Permit included in the cost of my Wild Card?

No, it is not. The Wild Card is a national access card for leisure and the My Activity Permit only covers activities within Table Mountain National Park

Does the My Activity Permit cover access for hiking/walking?

No, the activity permit covers only specifically mentioned high-impact activities and does not cover hiking/ walking

Why do we need an activity permit?

The management of TMNP has been designated to SANParks in terms of the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act SANParks has both national and international mandates to manage the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) as a National Park and World Heritage Site with respect to conserving this precious and threatened eco-system and globally recognised biodiversity hotspot. The task falls to management to accommodate users while protecting the natural environment so that it can be managed in a sustainable manner taking into account the enjoyment of future generations and not only current users. Park management strives to ensure that areas that lend themselves to recreational usage are used in a way that impacts the environment and other users as little as possible. When Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) was established there was a need to formally recognize appropriate recreational activities within the managed area of TMNP as these activities have impacts on both the environment and other users of the park and some activities are not normally allowed in a National Park (including dog-walking, horse riding, rock climbing and using the Park for commercial gain). In response to this challenge, TMNP therefore developed through a series of various public processes, Environmental Management Programs (EMPs) for dog walking; hang and paragliding; sport/rock climbing; horse riding; and mountain biking as the management framework to manage these diverse recreational activities in the Park. These EMPs include:

  • an overview of the current status of an activity and a brief summary of impacts and issues
  • an environmental policy
  • a strategic approach to respond to impacts and issues
  • guidelines for implementation of the EMP
  • maps of the approved routes, areas and entry/exit points
  • a permitting system
  • a Code of Conduct

These EMP’s require users to obtain permits, respect the rules and regulations of the Park, undertake their activity with care and consideration for other users and protect and conserve the natural and heritage resources of the Park. It needs to be noted that the Activity Permits are not access cards but permits to undertake certain high-impact recreational activities in a National Park. The Protected Areas Act and Regulations also make provision for the management authority to introduce such permits. In preparing the recreational Environmental Management Programs (EMPs), TMNP has over the years consulted with various recreational stakeholders. All recreational activities (EMPs) are also prepared in terms of the Park’s Conservation Development Framework (CDF) which was developed in consultation with all stakeholders including the City of Cape Town. These EMPs introduce a code of conduct for each recreational activity to promote best practices and appropriate behaviour by Park users so as to limit impacts and conflicts between users. Rather than abuse their privilege of undertaking activities in the Park we would encourage users to conduct themselves responsibly in the Park by following the requirements of the relevant EMP. In this way, we will all make the activities undertaken a safe and appropriate low-impact means of enjoying and appreciating the Park.

How are the costs of the activity permit calculated?

The baseline cost is pegged against the individual Wild Card rate which covers use of the Park for that activity as well as the impacts associated with the activity.

Where is the money spent?

TMNP is part of SANParks, a national organisation which manages 21 National Parks around the country and whose primary mandate is conservation. Income that the Park generates is used to fund the conservation of the mountain chain from Table Mountain to Cape Point, including invasive alien plant clearing, fire management, veld rehabilitation and soil erosion programmes. The contributions made by the Activity Cards toward sustaining our National Park form part of this system. TMNP is 24 000 hectares and the funds
currently utilised for veld infrastructure, conservation and management, which includes cycle tracks, is far in excess of the money raised by the activity permit system.

Why are invasive alien plants growing in Tokai and TMNP does nothing to remove them?

TMNP plans for invasive alien plant clearing annually. This planning includes the prioritisation of clearing according to the conservation status of the area, age of infestation, location of infestation and species type. For Tokai, the critically endangered Cape Flats Sand Plein Fynbos areas have received the highest priority and in this regard, the whole of the Lower Tokai area has been cleared over a number of years. In Upper Tokai, the focus with regard to invasive alien plant clearing has been in the areas where the plantations have been removed. Clearing of these compartments has been planned for Tokai in the coming 24 months.

Invasive alien plants such as Port Jackson, Rooikrans and black wattle are cleared to allow for the rehabilitation of indigenous vegetation, improved water yield and reduced risk of fires. Alien invasive plant clearing is an ongoing process and will continue for many years as the seeds of these plants remain viable in the soil for decades. This process is labour intensive and as the Park cannot manage alone within its existing staff complement it also relies on volunteer groups for assistance.

Are the bike tracks in Tokai being maintained?

Basic maintenance is undertaken in Tokai, but the focus is currently on areas where the tracks will not be impacted by other land use activities e.g. clear-felling operations, rehab areas and environmentally sensitive areas. Resources that could be invested in track maintenance are unfortunately also needed to close illegal tracks. Maintenance is an on-going process and the Park is appreciative of the efforts of Volunteer groups who assist in this regard. As SANParks’ core business is biodiversity conservation, its resources aredirected at conservation programmes such as alien invasive plant clearing (R15M), fire management (R8M), and rehabilitation (R3M) on an annual basis. In this way, the environmental integrity of an area and its landscape is ensured. Only once this is achieved may the sustainable use of an area be considered.

Why do rates increase annually in November?

In order for TMNP to remain sustainable, annual rate increases are necessary to accommodate escalating operational activities and conservation programmes. The annual rate increase takes place on 1 November each year. TMNP is acutely aware of the competing needs of all users and is constantly engaging in a variety of projects to ensure that the park remains an attractive destination to all.

Will I be safe when carrying out my recreational activity in Table Mountain National Park?

Given the extent and remoteness of the Park, it is a challenge to have a constant presence in all areas. Table Mountain National Park strives to provide a safe platform for you to carry out your recreational activity but it must be stressed that recreational users remain vigilant given that entry, use and access to the Park remains at their own risk. SANParks requests that hikers save the emergency number on their phones for TMNP to be contacted via radio: 086 110 6417 or 107/021 480 7700. The Park recommends that you carry out your activity in a group and that you do not carry out an activity alone in any location within the Park.

If I buy a Level 3 permit, is Level 1 and Level 2 included in the permit price?

Level 3 permits include Levels 1 and 2. Therefore, a Level 3 permit can be used to hang and paraglide, sport climb and walk two dogs.

Dog Walking

If I have a Wild Card do I have everything I need to walk my dog in Table Mountain National Park?

No, you need a My Activity Permit, level one, to do so.

What is a level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit?

This permit allows the main member and up to three (3) other additional members the opportunity to purchase a level 1 permit at a discounted rate. The discounted rate only applies to the additional members as the main member will still pay the standard tariff.

What does the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit cost?

The main member will pay R360 and each additional member will pay R140 (up to three additional members may be appended to the main members’ application). Rates quoted are subject to the annual tariff increases on 1 November annually.

How does the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit work?

On application, the main member may apply along with (up to) three additional members for a level 1 My Activity Permit to walk up to 2 dogs. The main member may only add additional members on application or renewal and may not do so during the course of the year, nor may a member’s name be exchanged during the course of the membership. Each applicant has to complete and sign the application form and provide 2 x ID photos of themselves and a copy of their ID, Driver’s licence or passport when the main member applies.

Each applicant will receive their own My Activity Permit which they are obligated to carry with them when out walking the dog(s). Each applicant is bound by the same set of rules, terms, conditions, code of conduct and EMP for dog walking as the main member.

Do the additional members need to be family members of the main member?


Can the level 1 multi-user dog walking My Activity Permit be used for commercial purposes in TMNP?


How many dogs can be walked on a level 1 permit?

Two (2) dogs.

Can my spouse use my level 1 My Activity Permit to walk the dogs?

No, only the person in whose name the permit is issued, may use the permit.

Do I always need to carry My Activity Permit with me when I carry out an activity?


Can I buy a day walking permit?

Yes, at Silvermine Gate one can buy a day dog walking permit to enter Silvermine with up to two dogs.

Can a child under 12 walk a dog alone with an activity permit?

All children under 12 need to be accompanied and supervised by an adult when carrying out an activity.


Do I need a recreational permit to partake in recreational paragliding in Table Mountain National Park?

Yes you need a Level 2 Permit.

Are there designated launch sites or may I launch anywhere in the park?

There are designated launch sites which must be used. You may not launch for just anywhere in the park.

Where are the designated launch sites for recreational paragliding in Table Mountain National Park?

    LOCATION: S 33º 55´. 074: E 18º 24´. 143
    LOCATION: S 33º 55´. 023; E 18º 24´. 226
    LOCATION: S 33º 55´. 287; E 18º 23´. 858
    LOCATION: S 33º 56´. 291: E 18º 23´. 297
    LOCATION: S 33º 56´. 059; E 18º 23´. 248
    LOCATION: S 33º 57.616; E 18º 24.363
    LOCATION: S 33º 57.723; E 18º 24.702
    LOCATION: S 33º 57.707; E 18º 24.683
    LOCATION: S 33º 58.034; E 18º 25.660
    LOCATION: S 33º 59.501; E 18º 24.955
    LOCATION: S 33º 56´. 777: E 18º 26´. 353
    LOCATION: S 34º 04´. 428: E 18º 22´. 862
    LOCATION: S 34º 04´. 385; E 18º 22´. 808
    LOCATION: S 34º 04´. 256; E 18º 22´. 879
    LOCATION: S 34º 04´. 063; E 18º 22´. 868
    LOCATION: S34° 06.807; E18°27.429
    LOCATION: S 34º03’.281; E 18º23’.279
    LOCATION: S34°02.870; E18°23.264
    LOCATION: S34°04.794; E18°24.670
    LOCATION: S 34º 00´. 791: E 18º 20´. 840
    LOCATION: S 34º 00´. 877: E 18º 20´. 666
    LOCATION: The slope of Karbonkelberg above the beach


Can you enter the Cape of Good Hope (COGH) section of Table Mountain National Park to cycle on a Wild Card or My Green Card?

No, you need to present a level 3 activity permit or you need to purchase the daily cycling permit.

If I have a level 3 activity permit do I have unlimited entries to COGH to cycle?


Can I take a friend in with me on my level 3 activity permit?


Where else could I cycle with the level 3 activity permit?

You can cycle on a level 3 activity permit anywhere within Table Mountain National Park where cycling is allowed in terms of the EMP such as Silvermine and Tokai.

Do I need an activity permit level 3 to cycle on tar roads in Table Mountain National Park?

Yes, you need a level 3 permit to cycle on all the tar roads in the park which include: Cape Point, Silvermine, Tokai and on the road up to Rhodes Memorial Tea Room.

Can I enter the COGH section of Table Mountain National Park on my activity permit if I am not cycling?

No, you would then either need to pay the daily conservation fees at the gate or present a My Green card or Wild Card.

Who may purchase the daily cycling permit?

Both locals and foreign nationals may purchase the daily cycling permit.

Day cycling fees vary across the park

Please call +27 (0)21 712 7471 to confirm the prices.

See the tariff sheet market and other tariffs

Where can a day cycling permit be purchased?

Tokai Day Cycling permits can be purchased at the Tokai Picnic Site gate on arrival.

Silvermine Day Cycling Permits can be bought on arrival at the Silvermine Entrance Gate.

Cape Point Day Cycling Permits can be bought at the gate on arrival. If you are South African please ensure you have your SA ID with you to claim the SA rate.

Day Cycling Permits for the area North of Constantia Nek can be bought either at the Kirstenbosch Cape Town Tourism office (021 762 0687) or the Main Cape Town Tourism office in the centre of Cape Town corner of Burg and Castle Streets (021 487 6800). Both sales sites are open 7 days a week.

Cycling routes in the northern section of TMNP

Can I cycle and exercise my dog at the same time?

No, you may only carry out one activity at a time.

What is a level 3 multi-user permit for cycling?

A multi-user permit allows the main member and up to 3 additional members to buy a level 3 permit concurrently at a discounted rate.

Will the additional members be loaded onto the main member’s permit?

No, each person will get their own separate permit.

Can the additional members cycle separately from the main member?

Yes, each person can cycle separately on a multi-user permit.

How do I buy a level 3 multi-user permit?

The main member and each person (up to 3 additional people) need to complete an application form per applicant. Please ensure each person signs the application form at the bottom of the page.

In addition to the signed application form: Each person must submit a copy of their ID, driver’s licence or passport and 2 ID photos per person. (Colour or black and white on photo paper).

Can I sign the application form on behalf of anyone else?

No, the application form reflects the terms and conditions the applicant agrees to comply with and the indemnity clause. Only the applicant can sign the application form.

Can I sign the application form on behalf of my wife or partner?

No, the application form reflects the terms and conditions the applicant agrees to comply with and the indemnity clause. Only the applicant can sign the application form.

Must all the additional members be present when the permits are purchased?

No, one person can bring in the paperwork on behalf of the other applicants provided all the documentation as listed above is present and correctly completed and submitted. Each applicant must have signed the application form at the bottom of the form. If the application is unsigned we cannot assist you.

If I am renewing a level 3 activity permit, what documents do I need?

You must have a signed application form, 2 ID photos of yourself (colour or black and white) and a copy of your ID, Driver’s licence or passport.

If I am renewing my spouse’s level 3 permit can I sign the application form on her behalf?

No, each applicant is required to sign their own application form, even if it is a renewal.

Horse Riding

Do I need a permit to ride my horse in Table Mountain National Park?

Yes, you need a level 3 permit.

Can I ride my horse and exercise my dog at the same time?

No, you may only carry out one activity at a time.

Is the level 3 permit issued to the horse or to the rider?

The permit is issued in the name of the rider and can thus be used irrespective of which horse is ridden to enter the park.

Can I give my groom my activity permit to use?

No, your groom will need his or her own permit.

Are Day Horse riding permits available?

Yes at the Tokai Picnic Site for Lower Tokai and at Silvermine Gate for Noordhoek Beach and Wetlands.

How do I get a remote for the Zwaanswyk gate?

Please email Jo Kruger on [email protected]

Is the permit for one or more horses?

The permit is for one horse.


Can you enter the Cape of Good Hope ( COGH) section of Table Mountain National Park on a wild card or My Green Card to line fish?


Can I present my Wild Card or My Green Card in lieu of the daily Conservation Fee required in addition to the daily marine species access permit?


How can I enter Table Mountain National Park to line fish?

You can either present a level 3 activity permit to enter or pay the daily Conservation Fee plus purchase a daily marine species access permit.

If I enter the COGH section of TMNP with a level 3 activity permit will I still need to pay extra to launch a boat?


How long is a level 3 activity permit valid?

365 days from purchase.

Can one still buy the level 4 consumptive permit?

No, you can no longer buy the level 4 consumptive permit – The current option is the Marine Species Access permit.

Can I launch my boat at Cape Point?

Yes, you can launch a small boat at the Buffels Bay slipway.

Is there an extra cost to launch a boat or is it included in the activity permit?

Boat launch fees are an additional fee paid on arrival at the gate.

Is the slipway cleared of kelp daily?

No, the kelp is not cleared from the slipway.