Activities & Facilities
Most of these activities are safe enough to undertake unguided.
For a small fee, groups of more than ten people can book a guide to accompany them and discover more about the history and ecology of the area.
- All activities are dependent on favourable weather conditions.
- For more information or directions, visit the Information desk, Enviro Centre or Reception at the Storms River Mouth Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section).
- The park has a joint initiative it runs with private parties from on the park’s periphery. The result is a semi-luxury hiking trail known as the Dolphin Trail.
- Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail: Two - six day hiking trail (with optional equipment porterage): journey through forest, fynbos and many rivers in the spectacular Tsitsikamma mountains.
- "Spirit of Tsitsikamma" boat rides
- The Otter Trail, 42km long, 5 days and 4 nights: (www.footprint.co.za); Check Availability.
- Several nature trails (1-3 hours)
- Dolphin Trail – a joint initiative with private parties adjacent the park
- Marine and River Activities
- Bathing at a small beach, and swimming pool (for resident guests only).
- All angling in the Tsitsikamma Section of the Garden Route National Park is prohibited.
- Guided outings (Eco-guides from local communities).
- Holiday programme during school holidays.
- Activities for School Groups.
There are many activities in the area of the park, for which staying in the park is an excellent base. The following are some that SANParks recommends.
- Abseiling & climbing
- Hiking (www.footprint.co.za)
- Mountain biking
- Tractor-trailer rides
- Tree top tours
- Bungee Jumping – worlds highest
A community fund of 1% will be added to the cost of all accommodation and activity reservations arriving on or after the 1st of June 2012.
- Shop where souvenirs and basic commodities may be purchased, a la carte restaurant, also serving light refreshments, laundromat and ironing room (flat-irons not supplied) and information desk at Storms River Mouth Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section).
- No ATM facility available
- Cattle Baron operates Tsitsikamma Restaurant.
- Fuel is available at Storms River Bridge (±25km from Storms River Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section)) and at Nature's Valley (adjacent Nature's Valley Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section)).
- Full conference equipment and catering service at Storms River Mouth Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section).
- Reservations: tel +27 12 426-5025 and fax +27 12 343-2005/6
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Hot & Useful Links
Did You Know?
- The Wilderness section of the GRNP has a Ramsar site (wetland of global significance). It has the potential to conserve whole ecosystems from catchments to sea.