Rain occurs mainly from May to August. Summers are dry with early morning mists with southeasterly or southwesterly winds. A temperate coastal climate prevails.
Day visitors are welcome, and form the bulk of all visitors to the park. They can obtain food and refreshments at Geelbek and when Postberg is open during Flower Season (August - September) there is a kiosk.
Note to Day Visitors
Download our Gate Registration & Indemnity document and complete before your visit in order to save time when entering the park.
Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel
Vehicle fuel is not available in the park . The nearest fuel station is in the Langebaan Village (approx. 5km from the park).
South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimatepetrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
Gate Times / Office Hours
September to March:
07:00 - 19:00
Last vehicle entry at 18:30
April to August:
07:00 - 18:00
Last vehicle entry at 17:30
Postberg opens during August & September:
(Flower season) 09:00 - 17:00
Last entry to Postberg at 16:30
|Accommodation check-in & check-out times|
Check-in at 14:00
Check-out at 10:00
|*** No late arrivals will be allowed. ***|
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
For emergencies within the park, contact Reception during office hours (08:00-16:00 Monday to Friday) on +27 (0) 22 707 9902/ 022 772 2145 or the Manager on duty at any time (including after hours) on 072 873 6453.
Useful Emergency Contacts:
- The nearest hospital is at Vredenberg, 30km from the park.
- Provincial Hospital Tel (after hours): +27 (0) 22 709 7200
- Life west Coast Private Hospital: +27 (0) 719 1030
- Doctor Marie Human (office hours): + 27 (0) 22 772 2758
- Doctor Joos Bester(office office) : +27 (0) 22 772 1606
- The nearest police station is at Langebaan: +27 22 707 5140
- Ambulance contact details: 10177
- Provincial Ambulance call centre: 086122 5599
Tips & Hints
- Remember to bring along bathing suit, angling equipment, hat, sun block, walking shoes, camera, binoculars, bird and mammal reference books.
- Beware of strong and changeable currents on both sides of Schaapen Island.
- Water sport enthusiasts should acquaint themselves with local conditions and boating and angling regulations.
- Saldanha Bay (including the Langebaan Lagoon) is a crayfish (rock lobster) and abalone (perlemoen) reserve. Removal of these organisms from this area is a punishable offence.
- Due to the recreational zoning of the park some water sports are restricted to certain areas. Please adhere to regulations.
- Pets are not allowed in a national park.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Motorcycles are allowed in the park, except in the Postberg section during the flower season.
- Medical, pharmaceutical, vehicle repair post office and police services in Langebaan Village.
- Nearest hospital: Vredenburg 30km)
- Fuel available in Langebaan Village (outside of park) or Ysterfontein.
- No wood is available inside the park
- No alcohol is permitted in any of the public areas such as picnic and braai sites as well as on beaches and around the lagoon.
Lost and Found
For lost items, please contact Reception on +27 (0)22 707 9902/3 or email us.
For enquiries email West Coast National Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Tel: +27 22 772-2144/5
- Fax: +27 22 772-2607
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Sunny< br>Min: 13°C / Max: 24°C