Operating hours and Gate Times
- Gate opening is 07:00 and closing times 18:00
- Security service, starting 18:00 – leaving 07:00 in the morning
- Late arrivals (after 18:00) may collect keys at the entrance gate with Security
- Day visitors allowed until 21:30
What To Bring/Pack
- Remember to bring along a bathing suit, angling equipment, hat, sun block, walking shoes, binoculars, bird and mammal reference books. Hikers must always carry sufficient water.
- For summer (September – March), cool comfortable clothing is recommended along with sunhats and sun protection cream.
For winter and autumn (April – August), warm clothing is recommended for the night times.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Bring along binoculars, camera, walking shoes and wildlife reference books.
Tips & Hints
- Pets are not allowed in a national park.
- Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery) - South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
- Medical/hospital and pharmaceutical facilities at Kareedouw – 55km from Storms River Mouth Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section).
- Post Office and police services at Storms River village – 13km from Storms River Mouth Rest Camp in the Tsitsikamma Section (a post box is available at the rest camp).
- Roller blades and skateboards are prohibited.
- No bait, shells, driftwood or any other organism, living or dead, may be removed from the Garden Route National Park.
- Powerboats are not permitted on the river at Nature’s Valley.
- No immunisations are needed for travel to this park. The park is situated in a malaria-free area.
- Please see detailed Tips & Hints at the various camp pages.
- Nature has blessed the Garden Route National Park (Tsitsikamma, Knysna and Wilderness Sections) with a pleasant, temperate climate; it is unique in Africa as the only area in which rainfall occurs throughout the year.
- And, to cap it all, most of our rain falls at night! It's the ideal climate for a visit - at any time of the year!
The park is ideal for day visitors with various picnic sites at the rest camp and at the lagoon.
Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel
Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery):
- South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Hot & Useful Links
Did You Know?
- The GRNP has the single largest block of Afromontane forest in South Africa including the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma sandstone fynbos areas, Mountains, forest and coast in close proximity and scenic beauty.