Wilderness Ebb-and-Flow Rest Camp
Looking for an action packed holiday adventure? Then, Wilderness Section is your playground. Experience whales & dolphins from Dolphin Point. Hire a canoe or bicycle, go abseiling, paragliding or hang-gliding. Go boating, fishing at Island Lake or hike in and around the Ebb-and-Flow Rest Camp. You do not have to be super fit to enjoy the natural beauty of the area. There are activities for young, old, energetic or idle: take a stroll along a forest path or visit the bird hide and discover the wealth of bird life. Lie back in a canoe on a quiet backwater and watch the world float by. Camp under the stars alongside the river or stay in log cabins on stilts.
The Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park stretches from the Touw River mouth to the Swartvlei estuary and beyond, where it links with the Goukamma Nature Reserve, giving welcome protection to five lakes and the Serpentine, which is the winding strip of water joining Island Lake to the Touw River at the Ebb-and-Flow Rest Camp.
- Bathing, rowing, fishing, at Wilderness beach, the Touw River and some of the lakes.
- Water-skiing is restricted to Island Lake and Swartvlei.
- Volleyball and basket ball.
- Bird hides at Langvlei and Rondevlei.
See the Park’s Activities for a comprehensive list.
- Many facilities are available in the towns of Wilderness and George.
- There is no shop in the Rest Camp.
- No ATM facility available.
- The closest restaurants are in the town of Wilderness – a list is available at Reception.
- Coin-operated washing machines and tumble dryers are available.
- Medical doctors, dentist, pharmacy and the postal agency are available in the town of Wilderness.
See the Park’s Facilities for a comprehensive list.
The Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park is situated close to the N2 highway, 15km from George, 2km from Wilderness village, 410km from Port Elizabeth and 450km from Cape Town.
The closest airport is at George, where car hire facilities are available.
Please note the road sign on the N2 to the Park reads Wilderness National Park and not Ebb-and-Flow.
5 Things To Seek
- Knysna Seahorse
- Pansy Shell
- Pied Kingfisher
- Grey Heron
- Little Egret
See the Contact page of the Park.