The Great Karoo is a vast and unforgiving landscape. Being the largest ecosystem in South Africa, the Karoo is home to a fascinating diversity of life, all having adapted to survive in these harsh conditions.
Afsaal Cottage is an old Shepherds hut which has been upgraded. The facility is situated on the southern section of the Nuweveld 4x4 route, approximately 35 kilometers from the main rest camp. The unit can accommodate two adults and two children. In front of the unit is a lit waterhole, providing 24-hour game viewing from the comfort of the porch. Read more...
This 400m long trail depicts the geology and palaeontology of the Great Karoo.Genuine fossils and petrified wood are on display on this paved trail. The trail is accessible to wheelchair-users.
- Don’t forget to pack comfortable shoes for walking inside the rest camp. Check the sightings board outside Reception before heading out on a game drive to see where the best sightings can be had.
- Day visitors are welcome. No bookings are required.
- As outdoor lighting in the camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Cool clothing for summer and warm for winter – the region is subject to sudden changes in weather, particularly in the mountains.
- Remember to bring a hat, walking shoes, sun block, camera, binoculars and bird and mammal reference books.
Where To Stay
Golden Kudu - Luxury LodgesView All Luxury Lodges
Organising a conference or event?
SANParks can cater for all conferencing needs, from arranging the venue, to the logistical arrangements, to organizing tailored pre and post conference activities.Booking Request Form
Game Capture at Karoo National Park
Please note that there will be Game Capture at Karoo National Park between 15 and 22 May 2017. Bulkraal Picnic area will be used as a base for the Rangers from other Parks and we will try and do the operations with minimum disruption to visitors. A helicopter, trucks and bakkies will form part of the operation.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Maintenance of all Thatch roofs in Karoo National Park
All the thatch roofs of Karoo National Park will be renovated/revamped from February 2017 - 01 October 2017. This renovations will include all accomodation units, reception, camping ablution & kitchen, swimming pool, main building with conference room, shop and restaurant and Bulkraal picnic area.
The Park will workout a program with the contractor and all areas will not be affected at one time.
Closure of Klipplaatsfontein 4x4 route
Please note that the Park’s Klipplaatsfontein 4x4 route has been temporarily closed. We apologise for any inconvenience and will advise once it has been re-opened.
Things To See
- Swimming pool oasis and picnic site at Bulkraal and the Bulkraal picnic site in the game viewing area
- Ou Schuur Interpretive Centre in a lush garden setting
- Picturesque Klipspringer Pass with its environmentally friendly style of construction and the scenic viewpoint at Rooivalle
- Verreaux's eagle
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?