The climate is temperate to hot and temperatures in summer (November to February) may reach over 40 degrees Celsius. Winter days are mild but cold at night with frost occurring at times. The average annual rainfall is 450 mm and is spread throughout the year, although peaks do often occur in February/March and October/November. Read more
- No booking is required for a day visit, unless the visitor wants to partake in organised activities.
- Day visitors can make use of a wide variety of activities, including wildlife viewing from their own vehicle, guided game drives, horse rides, hiking trails, the bird hide, the PPC Discovery Trail, picnic and braai sites, the shop and restaurant.
- Day trips can be made to the outlying sections of the park - the Zuurberg Mountains, Kabouga, Darlington Dam and Woody Cape.
Office and Gate hours
- Main camp reception is open from 07:00 to 19:00 daily
- Matyholweni reception is open from 07:00 to 17:00 daily, while the gate is open until 18:30.
The gates are staffed by security guards after closing time. Visitors with accommodation bookings can still enter and exit the gate after closing times provided they inform reception of this.
Check-in and check-out times
- Check in time is 14:00 for all accommodation.
- Check out time is 10:00 for all accommodation units. Check out time for caravan and tent sites is 12:00.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Tips & Hints
- The swimming pool is for overnight guests only.
- Hot days at waterholes are best for elephant viewing.
- Lions and spotted hyenas are most often seen in the early morning or evening to night time.
- Pets are not allowed in national parks.
- Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery). Firearms are to be declared at reception where they will be sealed. The seal will be broken upon departure.
- What visitors need to take along (preparation for the trip):
- Bring along binoculars, cameras, walking shoes and wildlife reference books.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, therefore a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- A road map of tourist routes within the park will be given to each vehicle upon entering the Park. Additional maps are for sale at the shop. Various information sheets are available at reception.
- For summer (September - March), cool comfortable clothing is recommended along with sunhats and sunscreen.
- For winter and autumn (April - August), warm clothing is recommended, especially for the night times.
- Insect repellent is recommended, especially in summer.
- No immunisations are needed for travel to the park as it is situated in a malaria-free area.
For emergencies within the park, contact reception during office hours (07:00 - 19:00) on +27 (0)42 233 8600 or the Manager on Duty after hours on 082 471 0267.
- The nearest hospital and doctors are in Kirkwood, 35km from the park.
Hospital Tel (after hours): +27 (0) 42 230 0406
Doctor Tel (office hours): + 27 (0) 42 230 1082
- The nearest private hospital is in Port Elizabeth, 75km from the park.
Greenacres Hospital Tel: +27 (0) 41 390 7000
- The nearest police station is in Addo, 15km from the park.
Tel: +27 (0) 42 233 0314
Internal Road Network
Some loops of the tourist roads in the park are tarred while the others are graveled. The gravel roads are in good condition and can be accessed with a normal vehicle, but these may be closed in very wet weather. The main entrance road into the park is tarred.
The southern access road links Camp Matyholweni to Addo main camp. The distance from Camp Matyholweni to Addo main amp through the Park is 36km. The southern access road is not accessible to buses and cars pulling caravans and trailers.
Roads in the park are suitable for all vehicles. Open-top game viewer vehicles are only allowed by special permission of the Park Manager.
While travelling in the wildlife area, visitors must remain inside the vehicle at all times, except at the designated lookout points, where visitors may exit their vehicle at their own risk.
Lost and found
For lost items, please contact Reception on: +27 (0) 42 233 8600 or email us.
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Did You Know?
Did You Know?
- It is home to the unique flightless dung beetle
Min: 15°C / Max: 29°C
Hot & Useful Links
Official Guide on Sale
This 52-page full-colour brochure gives the visitor a complete overview of the Park, its fauna and flora, history, new developments, accommodation and activities. Highly recommended! Available from the park directly.