Activities and Facilities
SANParks offers a wide range of activities, including the activities described below.
For comprehensive information on activities on offer in each park, please visit the relevant park.
General Information on Activities
|Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld is only accessible in 4x4 vehicles. There are 4x4 trails available at a number of parks. Please see each parks information for more details.
External private groups often operate these, e.g. Blackwater Tubing at Tsitsikamma and the 3-in-one challenge at Augrabies. As these activities are external to SANParks, such activities may be advertised in the parks themselves.
Beaches are available at Addo Elephant, Agulhas, Knysna/Wilderness, Namaqua, Table Mountain, Tsitsikamma and West Coast.
See our Birding pages.
A 3-day canoe trails are available at Wilderness. Casual boating and canoeing can be done here too and at Golden Gate, Tsitsikamma (Nature's Valley) and Knysna.
Conference facilities of varying capacity are available in the KNP as well as at a number of parks. Please see each parks information for more details.
Fishing permits are available at Addo Elephant, Agulhas, Bontebok, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld and West Coast. Angling has been stopped at Tsitsikamma because of the drastic decline of rocky shoreline species.
Flower Season (usually at its height in the months of August and September) is a feature at Agulhas, Bontebok, Namaqua, West Coast and Wilderness. Flower displays are found in other parks as well. Watch these parks' sites for seasonal updates.
There are many wonderful and attracting features of South African National Parks, but as a generalization the biggest drawcard of our parks are the mammals.
Kruger (Skukuza) is the only SANParks venue that operates a golf course. However many of the other parks have golf courses in their near vicinity.
Park guided day and night drives are permanently available at a number of parks. Please see each parks information for more details.
There are a variety of hiked, trails and walks across all 19 Parks.
Historical exhibits are to be found in all of the parks.
- Wilderness Trails
- Back Pack Trails: There are back-pack and 'slaak-pack' trails available at a number of parks. Kruger's Mphongolo and Olifants Back Packing Trails are quite popular. Please see each parks information for more details.
- Eco-Trails: Lebombo Eco-Trail: is a 5-day (4 night) outdoor adventure spanning a great part of the Kruger. Malopeni Eco-Trail: The Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail is a guided one night motorised adventure trail which travels along management roads in the area to the north-east of Phalaborwa Gate up to the Letaba River.
- Mountain Bike Trails: There is place for a maximum of 6 participants per trail. Two qualified and armed field guides will lead the trails. Olifants Camp will supply the mountain bikes. Backpacks, water bottles, bicycle helmets and snacks will also be provided.
- Agulhas National Park – Motorcycle friendly
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park – Motorcycle friendly
- Karoo National Park – Motorcycles allowed after prior arrangement
- Knysna National Lake Area – Motorcycle friendly
- Namaqua National Park – Motorcycles allowed on all public roads
- Tankwa Karoo National Park – Motorcycles allowed
- Tsitsikamma National Park – Motorcycle friendly
- West Coast National Park – Motorcycle friendly
- Wilderness National Park – Motorcycles allowed on designated routes
Mountain Biking is permitted in a number of parks where animals do not pose a safety threat to riders, as well as at Olifants in the KNP. Please see each parks information for more details.
The Otter Trail is a 5-day and 4 nights trail that is takes place in the Tsitsikamma Area of the Garden Route National Park.
Available in all parks.
Such facilities affiliated to SANParks are available at most parks, and if not there is usually such a facility in nearby towns. |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld is perhaps the exception.
Permitted at Knysna and Wilderness Sections of the the Garden Route National Park as well as West Coast National Park.
Occuring in all the parks. Table Mountain (Table Mountain NP), Augrabies Falls (Augrabies NP) and the Agulhas Lighthouse (Agulhas NP) are some of the more renowned landmarks, Valley of Desolation (Camdeboo NP).
Shops of some size are found in virtually all the parks and if not are available in adjacent towns or urban settlements. Please see each parks information for more details.
Available at Golden Gate NP.
Available in some parks. Some other camps and parks will put up a big screen to cover major sporting events. Please see each parks information for more details.
Available at Golden Gate NP.
General Information on Facilities
- Cell Phone Reception
- Information Centres
- Internet Café - KNP (Skukuza and Berg-en-Dal)
- Medical Services
- Petrol/Diesel: Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery) - South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
- Public Telephones
- Swimming: There are swimming pools at a number of park and camps. Please see each parks information for more details.
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
One year's unlimited entry to 80+ National Parks, Reserves and Resorts around Southern Africa. Membership is valid from date of purchase for 365 days and is available for an individual, couple or family, as well as international guests. Read more...
Join our Forums
Connect with over 30,000 members in our popular forums.