The Marakele National Park in the heart of the Waterberg Mountains, as its Tswana name suggests, has become a 'place of sanctuary' for an impressive variety of wildlife due to its location in the transitional zone between the dry western and moister eastern regions of South Africa.
It's no coincidence that bontle means "beautiful" in Setswana. This pleasant rest camp consists of 10 tented units for those who would prefer a permanent structure more than putting up a tent and camp themselves. The tented units have a private veranda and are self-catering with its own fully equipped kitchen and outdoor braai stand.Read more...
Our professionally trained field guides cater for guest’s preferences and fitness levels to create an outstanding wilderness walking experience. Whether you wish to walk for a couple of hours a day or spend all day in the bush we can create the ideal experience for you.
- Remember to bring a camera, binoculars, bird and wildlife reference books, a hat and sunscreen lotion. Also remember to take along medicines such as anti-histamine and lotion for insect stings and bites.
- Cool clothing for summer and warm for winter - the region is subject to sudden changes in weather, particularly in the mountains.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Remember charcoal or wood, as this is not available in the park.
Where To Stay
Organising a conference or event?
SANParks can cater for all conferencing needs, from arranging the venue, to the logistical arrangements, to organizing tailored pre and post conference activities.Booking Request Form
Rehabilitation of roads in Marakele National Park
Please note that the road rehabilitation, upgrading of the entrance road and parking at reception has started.
We wish to apologise for any inconvenienve caused.
Things To See
- Cape Vulture
- African Elephant
- The not-so-often-seen-elsewhere antelope species such as reedbuck, mountain reedbuck, eland and tsessebe can be found here
- 21st November 2016 - Media Release: Sidney receives a special CEO Award at the Annual Kudu Awards
Posted by: SHR PR & Media (16th September 2016)
Posted by: SHR PR & Media (29th August 2016)
Posted by: henkie (25th July 2016)
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?