Nossob 4 x 4 Eco Trail
- The trail runs through the dunes between Twee Rivieren and Nossob camps.
- Starting point at Twee Rivieren or Nossob changes on a monthly basis; Twee Rivieren on even months, and Nossob on uneven months.
- The trail departs on Mondays, and terminates on Thursdays.
- The trail departs every Monday, except for the 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year, when it will be closed.
- Departure time is 09:00 but may change according to the season- ascertain with reception upon arrival.
- Duration of the trail is three nights and four days.
- Minimum two vehicles. Maximum of five guest vehicles and one guide vehicle. No trailers.
- Participation is totally self-catered including food, waterfor drinking, showers and vehicle, firewood, tents and vehicles. Don't forget to bring a braai grid.
- Campsites consist of a “long drop”, shower bag and fireplace without grids. Only 4 x 4 vehicles allowed. Low range a prerequisite.
- All refuse must be removed.
- From the starting point to the next refueling point is approximately 300km.
- Tourists will be expected to help repair ruts they’ve made in the road- spades will be provided.
- Hand-held radios will be provided for all vehicles for the duration of the trail.
- No children under the age of 12 years are allowed on the trail.
- The cost is per vehicle per 5 occupants (current tariff: R 2950 per vehicle) plus the daily conservation levy.
It is possible to continue with the Gemsbok Wilderness Trail in Botswana starting at Polentswa. (Bookings to be made at Botswana Parks and Reserve Reservations P.O.Box 131, Gabarone, Botswana. Tel: +267 318 0774; Fax: +267 318 077522).
- SANParks reserve the right to cluster several small or single bookings to make up a full trail.
Sincere thanks go out to Unitrans VW for the sponsorship of the 4x4 trail vehicle.
- As part of this trail you are advised to book the night before and after the trail at either Twee Rivieren or Nossob depending on the direction of the trail at the time in order to accommodate traveling times and distances between rest camps. In the winter months when traveling the trail from South to North (Twee Rivieren to Nossob), it is compulsory that guests spend the night after completing the trail at Nossob. This is due to the fact that guests will not be able to make it to another camp in time as the days are very short.
- Equipment includes amongst other things: proper spade, tyre pressure gauge, torch and protection against grass seeds after a good rainy season.
- Do not overload your roofrack if equipped. They tend to get damaged.
- Summer temperatures could reach 45°C and during winter it could go down to -10.
- One bundle of firewood per night per vehicle should be enough in summertime.
- A guide accompanies trailists with his own vehicle and makes regular interpretative stops to highlight places of interest.
- Distances travelled per day on the trail are between 50km and 65km. That leaves you with ample time to enjoy nature and pitch camp.
- Overhanging branches might scratch vehicles; if needed, gear loppers will be available to cut branches that overhang into the trail.
At Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Tel: +27 (0)54 561 2000
- Fax: +27 (0)54 561 2005