Skip to Content
Veterinary services department is responsible for:
- Coordination of research on wildlife disease and their impact on human livelihoods, wildlife itself, and livestock
- Implementation of wildlife capture and translocation programs with the aim of:
- Reintroducing populations into national parks
- Enhancing the conservation status of rare and threatened species
- Controlling over-abundant wildlife populations to avert the threats of habitat degradation and loss of biodiversity
- Generating revenue for SANParks through wildlife sales
- Enhancing breeding projects involving valuable and rare species.
- Building capacity in the veterinary and wildlife capture fields, particularly in persons from historically disadvantaged population groups.