Telephone line out of order
Please note that the Park's regular telephone number is out of order. Please make use 023 414 7080 as an alternative until further notice.
- Stop/Go measures in place on the road from the Main Gate to the rest camp, starting on 8 April 2015.
- Tourist roads may be closed at times during heavy or prolonged rainy conditions or as a result of road maintenance.
- As from November 2014, road maintenance will start on all the tarred roads in the Park and also on certain sections of the Klipspringer Pass and Potlekkertjie loop. This maintenance will take approximately 12 months, excluding the festive season period and major long weekends. Park Management apologises for any inconvenience that might be caused.
- As from 1 March 2015, the Park will implement a minimum of two nights' stay bookings at the 4x4 Embizweni Cottage. All existing bookings will be honoured, but all future bookings will only be made for at least two consecutive nights.
- Motorcyclists will no longer be allowed to drive through the Park's entrance gate due to the risks involved with the lions present in the Park.
Towards late afternoon, the great, unyielding canopy slowly softens its fierceness, and from pastel shades of pink and blue, the colours deepen, setting the endless Karoo canvas ablaze with glorious hues of orange and red.
The Great Karoo is a vast and unforgiving landscape of which the Karoo National Park is but a small portion. Being the largest ecosystem in South Africa, the Karoo is home to a fascinating diversity of life, all having adapted to survive in these harsh conditions. Karoo National Park is dominated by the lofty Nuweveld Mountains and rolling plains, where many species that originally occurred here now once again occupy their former ranges.
The Karoo National Park has a wide variety of endemic wildlife. Many species have been relocated to their former ranges - such as brown hyena, lion and Cape mountain zebra. Over 20 breeding pairs of Verreaux's eagle find sanctuary within the park. There is also a wide diversity of succulent plants and small reptiles.
Five main attractions:
- Rooivalle lookout point
- Bulkraal picnic site
- Fossil trail
- Ou Schuur Interpretive Centre
There are currently no promotions available. Please come back soon.
- 2 single beds
- Breakfast included
- Additional vehicles will be charged fee per night
- Reception open 07:00 to 19:00 (Gate till 22:00)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 single bed and 1 queen size bed
- 2 en-suite bathrooms with Wc, bath and shower
- Breakfast included
- Media Release: Two lions translocated from Marakele National Park to Karoo National Park - 5th October 2015
- Media Release: Karoo National Park has the best Reception and best Camp in region - 13th July 2015
- Media Release: Karoo Lion successfully recaptured - 30th June 2015
- Media Release: Lion Breaks out of Karoo National Park - 9th June 2015
- Media Release: Four new bird species discovered in Karoo National Park - 11th November 2014
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
View and download maps.
Min: 16°C / Max: 31°C