- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Golden Gate Highlands National Park
Please note that you are about to leave the SANParks website (www.sanparks.org) and will be directed to a partner website.
Would you like to continue?
Construction at Golden Gate Hotel:
- 15 September 2013 (duration - 2 months): Ground Works and installation of phase 2 carports. More noise than usual may be expected during the initial stages of the project.
- 15 September 2013 (duration - 1 month): Enlargement and fitting of the Brandwag Lounge Kitchen. Noise may be expected for the first two days. Day-time food service will be moved to the Masutsa Restaurant for the duration of the project.
- We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Nestled in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains of the north eastern Free State lies the Golden Gate Highlands National Park.
The park derives its name from the brilliant shades of gold cast by the sun on the park's sandstone cliffs, especially the imposing Brandwag rock, keeping vigil over the main rest camp.
This 11 600 hectares of unique environment is true highland habitat, providing home to a variety of mammals – black wildebeest, eland, blesbok, oribi, springbok and Burchell's zebra - and birds, including the rare bearded vulture (lammergeier) and the equally rare bald ibis, which breed on the ledges in the sandstone cliffs. Ribbokkop, the highest point in the park, reveals a breathtaking tapestry of red, yellow and purple hues as its warm shades merge with the cool mountain shadows towards evening.
Still available next weekend!
- 1 bedroom with double bed
- 2 bathrooms, each with w/c and shower
- 2 bunk beds
- Base rate: R700
- 1 bedroom with double bed
- 2 bathrooms (w/c and shower), one is en-suite
- 2 bedrooms, each with 2 single beds
- Base rate: R1310
Areas of Special Interest
- The Van Reenen family graveyard
- The Impressive Brandwag buttress rock formation
- Vulture Restaurant
- Cathedral Cave (Guided Walk)
- Interesting lookout points and viewpoints - Zuluhoek lookout point, Generaalskop viewpoint, the third highest point in the park; Oribi basin and Drakensberg view
5 things to seek
- Bearded Vulture
- Bald Ibis
- Black Wildebeest
Read about Our Camps
- Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp
- Golden Gate Hotel
- Glen Reenen Rest Camp
- Highlands Mountain Retreat
2nd December 2013
28th August 2012
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
11°C / 23°C