Update on the heavy rains experienced in Mapungubwe
- The rain has stopped.
- All the camps are closed.
- R572 from Musina to Mapungubwe is closed due to the bridge at Weipe that collapsed.
- The R572 to Pont drift / The town of Alldays is accessible by normal 2x4 vehicle.
- All the roads in the park are still closed except the main road from the main gate to treetop.
- All staff members are safe and no injuries have been reported in the park.
- Most tourist facilities are still underwater, eg. Interpretative Centre , Tshugulu Lodge, Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Mazhou, Treetop, Malountswa Pan Hide.
- The Electricity has been restored.
- Telephone lines are now working.
- Some animals have died.
- All 4x4 roads are closed.
- The park is open to day visitors with 4x4 vehicles to limited areas.
- The clean-up operations has started.
- The camps will be open to the public on Saturday (26 January 2013).
- The park is full of water everywhere.
- The Limpopo river is still full to capacity.
- Staff accommodation affected are Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Rhodes Drift, Schroda, Samaria Farm are still under water.
- Staff members at Samaria Farm have lost all their personal belongings and the road to the farm will not be accessible by road at least for days to come.
- All staff members will receive counselling as many are visibly traumatized.
- The following roads are closed: * Schroda, All river roads, all 4X4 roads, Denstaat road, Tshugulu road, The road to the tented camp and Samaria road.