Department: People and Conservation - Projects
People and Conservation Department has managed to established various projects jointly with the adjacent communities such as:
1. Sales outlet structures:
- Kruger Gate sales outlet
- Numbi Gate sales outlet
- Hlanganani Phalaborwa sales outlet
These projects are facilitated through Economic Empowerment and are owned and managed by the community art and crafters.
2. Contractors Development Programme:
In the following fields:
- Construction and Fence Maintenance: Theses projects are done in a joint effort with Technical Services of the Kruger National Park sponsored by DEAT through Poverty Alleviation.
- Invasive Species Control: Also a joint effort project between Invasive Species Control Unit funded by DWAF and DOL.
3. Community Outreach Programme:
Information about the Kruger National Park, Conservation messages, Tourism activities, Access opportunities and Importance of Conservation is shared with communities.
Tree planting in schools and community centres: Trees are donated on request by the community centres and schools. Some planted during Arbor Day celebration events.
4. Reconstruction of Thulamela Heritage Site:
This project aims at the promotion of the Cultural Heritage Management by the Kruger National Park as a means of addressing cultural tolerance by the conservation areas and its neighbouring communities.
5. Skills and Learnership Development Programme:
This programme is facilitated in order to up-skill the community members to be employable in the work environment.
This is funded by the Department of Labour through INTAC- THETA Projects.
Community Capacity Building through Conservation related projects.
Sustain all existing programmes and projects with the aim of maximisng the Kruger National Park's contribution towards community development through opportunities presented by the Kruger National Park and thus building constituencies for conservation.
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
Did You Know?
Did You Know?
- Evidence of Bushman Folk (San) and Iron Age people from about 1500 years ago is also in great evidence.
KNP Emergency Hotline
- Report rule breakers and other incidents to KNP's Emergency Call Centre on 013 735 4325
Tell Us What You Think
Min: 12°C / Max: 27°C
Min: 14°C / Max: 30°C
Min: 13°C / Max: 32°C