This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
"Lose yourself in the bush"-->
Tsendze, the Tsonga word for 'tsendzeleka' or 'to ramble around like someone lost in the bush' is the newest accommodation addition to the Kruger National Park.
As its name implies, it provides a rustic experience within the natural environment. Located approximately 7 km south of Mopani Rest Camp, the campsites are laid out in a rough figure of eight under and around stands of ancient and beautiful Leadwood, Mopane and Apple Leaf trees. Two prominent seasonal water courses, the Tsendze River and Nshawu Creek, run through this area that is known for the large buffalo herds and many elephant bulls that occur here.
Guests can look out for 'Alexander', a current big tusker with rather impressive ivory, who is often encountered in the area and along the main tarred route between Tsendze and Mopani Rest Camp. With its abundance of large trees in the camp, Tsendze offers great birding opportunities right around your very campsite.
5 Things To Seek
- Ground hornbill
- Brown snake eagle
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6535/6
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6547
- Mobile: 082 802 1113
- 30 x tent or caravan sites surrounded by a variety of trees that provide shade, without power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. Maximum of 6 persons per site. Each site equipped with its own braai stand and a rubbish bin. One fresh water tap shared per three sites. Upon booking, guests may reserve specific sites (subject to availability).
Tsendze rustic campsite is managed form Mopani camp and has no Reception area.
Guests are required to report to Mopani camp at least 1 hour before gate closes for check-in before entering Tsendze Rustic Campsite. Accommodation at Tsendze camp is ideal for backpackers and the camping and caravanning fraternity looking for a self-catering rustic bushveld experience.
Activities & Facilities
All activities from Mopani Rest Camp. Guests are picked up from Tsendze main gate.
- Guided Game Walks or Game Drives can be pre-arranged with Mopani camp subject to availability.
- Tariffs for Activities
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception at Mopani.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Tsendze only offers camping facilities.
- Two communal kitchens.
- Two ablution blocks (wheelchair friendly and with an option of open-air showers).
- Warm water from gas geysers, with lights from a solar battery system.
- There is no electricity supply at any of the camp sites.
- No portable power generators are allowed.
- Two communal refrigeration facilities available.
- No shop, restaurant or fuel in camp (all available at Mopani 7km away).
- No ATM facility available
- No Reception office at camp.
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
Take the N1 toll-road to Polokwane (Pietersburg). 40km before Polokwane turn right onto the R71 and head for Tzaneen. After Tzaneen head towards Phalaborwa and the gate. Allow between 6 to 7 hours for the trip to the gate. Tsendze rustic camp site is approximately 70km away from the gate.
Allow about 2 ½ hours for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!
Note: Check-in at Mopani at least 1 hour before gate closes.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
Accommodation & Camping Tariffsinclude($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
General Tariff Information
Fauna and Flora
The Mooiplaas Ranger Section area that Tsendze falls in is known for its very large buffalo herds and many elephant bulls.
The area has been and still is, home to large tuskers and some of the more well known ones, now unfortunately dead and gone, were 'Nshawu', 'Shilowa', Mabarule' and 'Alexander'.
With its abundance of huge trees in the campsite TRC offers great birding opportunities right in camp and the surrounding area offers an interesting list of birds previously recorded.
People with disabilities
The ablution blocks in this campsite offer facilities for the wheelchair access.
Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?