This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
Shingwedzi lies in the northern part of the Kruger National Park in the heart of mopane country.
A scenic game drive along the Shingwedzi River in a south-easterly direction towards the Kanniedood Dam is one of the most rewarding drives in the Park. Waterbuck, nyala, kudu and elephant are often seen here and the bird life is prolific. Staying overnight at Shingwedzi is an experience that will last a lifetime. It is a rustic camp that still carries the essence of the bush and is untouched by modern technology. Experience magical evenings where the accommodation is arranged in two separate circles and the glow emanating from braai (barbecue) stands cast a tranquil spell.
No Leaded fuel at Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Please note that Total has assisted with a temporary solution and Shingwedzi filling station now has diesel as well as unleaded fuel. However we are still not able to sell lead replacement petrol (LRP). We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
5 Things To Seek
- Giant Eagle Owl
- African Rock Python
- Spotted Hyena
- Green Pigeon
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6806/7
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6832
- Mobile: 082 889 4376
- 50 x tent or caravan sites, with power point and rotating braai (barbeque) grids. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 12 x 3-bed rustic units with communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplate stoves is available. A small fridge can be found on the little veranda. There is no air-conditioning.
- 14 x 2-bed units with communal kitchen. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but some with baths), toilet and wash basin. All bungalows have air-conditioning. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery, crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. Contact reception upon check-in.
- 22 x 2-bed modern units (one room with 2 single beds). Bungalows each have an open air kitchen with cooker top, combined fridge/freezer and fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils. All units have air conditioning.
- 28 x 3-bed units (1 room with 3 single beds and 1 fold-down bed) with kitchens. Bungalows are equipped with toilet, a shower and wash basin. All bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 2 x double bed units . Equipped with en-suite bathroom containing shower, toilet and wash basin. Bungalows each have an open-air kitchen with cooker top, microwave, combined fridge/freezer and are fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils. Both bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 1 x 4-bed unit, (1 room with double bed and 1 with 2 single beds), fully equipped with 2 bathrooms, (1 en-suite) kitchen and air-conditioning. The open air kitchen has a cooker plate, dining room/lounge and outside braai facility, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery. The cottage is equipped with a microwave oven.
- This is a large luxury unit in prime position with a riverside view. It is well–equipped with kitchen (with microwave oven), 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV television is provided. There are also communal braai (barbecue) facilities.
- Rentmeester: Sleeps 8, with 3 bedrooms, (2 bedrooms with double bed, 1 bedroom with 2 single beds and a double sleeper couch in the lounge).
Accommodation at Shingwedzi Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements and is well suited for those Guests who are looking for a self-catering bushveld experience. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to Tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Kanniedood Bird Hide (located about 7 km east of the camp)
- Ntishivana Bird Hide (located about 30 km east of the camp)
- Northern Plains 4 x 4 Adventure Trail (weather sensitive activity)
- Wildlife films on the big screen (every evening except Sundays)
- Tariffs for Activities
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- Mini ATM facility available in the restaurant
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Day Visitors Picnic Area
- DSTV (limited channels) only available in Guest House
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
Punda Maria Gate
Take the N1 to Polokwane (Pietersburg). At Makhado (Louis Trichard) link up with the R524 and follow this route for ±140km. That will take you to the gate. Allow between 5 to 6 hours for the trip to the gate. Shingwedzi Rest Camp is 71km away from the gate. Allow about 3 hours for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself time!include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
Accommodation & Camping Tariffsinclude($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>