This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
Satara is a busy camp, and not without reason. It is situated in an excellent game viewing area, with the bush relatively open and the animals plentiful and diverse.
The camp itself has a rustic charm, with the bulk of the accommodation set out in a series of circles. Satara is well wooded and the bird-life is prolific. At night the clink of fruit bats is fused with the chirping of cicadas and crickets. The calls of owls and nightjars add to the symphony that is punctuated intermittently by the whoop of hyena, the screech of jackal and the roars of lion.
5 Things To Seek
- Red-billed Buffalo Weaver
- Blue Wildebeest
- Honey Badger
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6306/7
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6304
- Mobile: 082 802 1209
- 100 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 75 x 2 or 3-bed units with communal kitchen. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions comprising of a shower, WC and wash basin. All bungalows have air-conditioning. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. Contact reception upon check-in.
57 x 2 or 3-bed units with kitchens. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions comprising of a shower, WC and wash basin. All bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 1 x luxury bungalow with 2 beds and one sleeper couch. Equipped with en-suite bathroom (shower, WC and wash basin), kitchen and air-conditioning. The open air kitchen has a cooker plate and microwave oven and outside braai (barbeque) facility, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- 19 x 2 bedded bungalows situated on the perimeter fence with a view of the veld which allows you to listen to the sounds of the wild in your bed. Equipped with en-suite bathroom containing shower, WC and wash basin. Bungalows each have an open air kitchen with cooker top, combined fridge/freezer and fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils.
- 1 x 5-bed and 9 x 6-bed units with well equipped kitchens and two bedrooms with 3 beds each (in the case of the 6 bed units). Both bedrooms have a bathroom en-suite (bath, WC and washbasin). The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- These are large luxury units in prime positions inside the camp. There are well-equipped kitchens (with microwave ovens) and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV televisions are provided.
- Wells: Sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms (2 single beds in each room)
- Stanley: Sleeps 9, with 3 bedrooms (3 single beds in each room)
- Frankel: Sleeps 10, with 5 bedrooms (2 single beds in each room)
Accommodation at Satara Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements. Choose anything from luxury, self catering, caravanning or camping accommodation for your stay in the wilderness. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue). Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Sweni Bird Hide (located on the Sweni River about 30km from camp)
- Ratel Pan Bird Hide (Piet Grobler Dam - located on the Timbavati/Roodewal road about 35km from camp)
- Kids Educational Programme (Seasonal)
- Sweni Wilderness Trail (pre-booked overnight activity)
- Mananga 4 x 4 Adventure Trail (weather sensitive activity)
- Through prior arrangement with the camp, catered traditional dances can be arranged.
- Wildlife films on the big screen (every evening except Sundays)
- Tariffs for Activities
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- Mini ATM facility available in the restaurant
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool with children’s playground.
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Day Visitors Picnic Area with Boma on perimeter of camp
- Eco Information Centre and Amphitheatre
- Limited Channel DSTV in Guest Houses only
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
The closest airport to Satara is Eastgate Airport that is situated in Hoedspruit. The airport is approximately 68 km from Orpen Gate.
By Road: Orpen Gate
Head toward Nelspruit on the N4 and take the R540 Belfast turn off. At Lydenburg turn left onto the R36 heading north. 30 km before Hoedspruit turn right onto the R531 and head to the gate. Allow between 4 to 5 hours for the trip to the gate. Satara camp is 48 km away from the gate. Allow about 2 hours for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
Accommodation & Camping Tariffsinclude($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>