This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
“Your home away from home”-->
When the world was still young, some 3 500 million years ago, molten rock forced its way through the earth's crust and solidified to form the spectacular granite outcrops where Pretoriuskop Rest Camp is now nestled.
The impressive granite dome known as “Shabeni Hill” is not far from the camp, which is found in the south-western corner of the Kruger National Park. It is immediately apparent to any visitor that Pretoriuskop is unique as brilliant red trees adorn the camp, pre-dating the decision to make exclusive use of indigenous plants in laying out rest camp gardens. Nostalgia prompted an exception to the rule for Pretoriuskop, the Kruger National Park's oldest rest camp, and exotic flowering plants were allowed to stay, enhancing the strong sense of the past that is so pervasive.
5 Things To Seek
- Sable Antelope
- Lichtenstein’s Hartebeest
- Wild Dog
- Brown-headed Parrot
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 5128/32
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 5339
- Mobile: 082 802 1203
- 45 x tent or caravan sites, with or without power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 30 x rustic 2, 3, 5 or 6-bed units with ceiling fan and communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplates is available.
- 46 x rustic 2, 3, 5 or 6-bed units with communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplates is available. Equipped with fridge and air-conditioning.
- 52 x 2, 4 or 6-bed units. Units are equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but some with baths) and air-conditioning. Some have both hotplates and sinks. You have a choice of kitchenette or communal kitchen, as well as with or without perimeter view. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery, crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. (Confirm when booking if you would like a choice of double or single bed).
- 4 x 6-bed units (3 bedrooms with 1 double bed and 4 single beds) with well equipped kitchens, air-conditioning and living rooms. One bedroom has a bathroom en-suite (bath, toilet and washbasin) and there is a separate toilet, shower and washbasin for communal use. The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- 1 x 4-bed units (2 bedrooms with 1 double bed and 4 single beds) well equipped with air-conditioning, kitchen and living room. One bedroom has a bathroom en-suite (bath, toilet and washbasin) and there is a separate toilet, shower and washbasin for communal use. The kitchen has an electric hotplate, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- These are large luxury units in prime positions inside the camp. There are well-equipped kitchens (with microwave ovens) and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms (some with showers and baths, others with baths only). Bedrooms are housed in separate units from the main living area. TVs with limited DSTV channels are provided.
- Pierre Joubert: Sleeps 16, with 4 bedrooms (2 single beds plus 2 bench beds in each room)
- Doherty Bryant: Sleeps 9, with 3 bedrooms (1 double bed and 1 single bed in each room).
Accommodation at Pretoriuskop Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements. Choose anything from luxury, self catering, caravanning or camping accommodation for your stay in the wilderness. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue). Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Napi Wilderness Trail (pre-booked overnight activity)
- Madlabantu 4x4 Adventure Trail (weather sensitive activity)
- Sable Trail camp walk
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- No ATM facility available
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Day Visitors Picnic Area in camp
- DSTV (limited channels) only available in Guest Houses
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
The closest airport to Pretoriuskop is Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) that is situated between Nelspruit and White River. KMIA is situated approximately 15 km from White River and about 50 km from Numbi Gate. There are daily scheduled flights between KMIA and OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with less frequent flights from Cape Town and Durban International Airports respectively.
By Road: Numbi Gate
Take the N4 to Nelspruit and then take the R40 to White River. Just outside White River take the R538 and head to the gate. Allow between 4 to 5 hours for the trip to the gate. Pretoriuskop camp is 9 km away from the gate. Allow about 20 minutes for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!
- General tariffs information
- 2015/2016 Tariffs
- Pensioners' discount
- Daily conservation fee
- Pre-booked/Advanced Reservations for Day Visits
- Tariffs for Kruger outdoor activities and guided game walks / drives
- View pictures and availability for Pretoriouskop accommodation
Please ensure that your stay is happy and safe by taking note of a few simple warnings. You will be sharing your stay with many exciting and unusual creatures but without knowledge some of them could be dangerous:
- Bats, Spiders, Snakes, Scorpions, Malaria Zone
If you must walk around at night please DO NOT DO SO WITHOUT A TORCH.
Remember: by feeding any wildlife, you are signing their death warrant as they become aggressive!
Kruger is in a summer rainfall area. Such precipitation is usually convectional and can result in heavy downpours. The summer months (October to April) are hot and often balmy. Winters are warm and mild, although visitors going on night-drives will require warm clothing.
Pretoriuskop has a designated day visitor area where day visitors and visitors from other camps can braai (Barbecue) and picnic. This area is immediately on the left of the camp’s entrance gate. Afsaal picnic site is 33 km away along the Voortrekker road to Malelane.
Flora and Fauna
The chance of seeing small herds of sable, eland and Lichtenstein’s hartebeest make Pretoriuskop a special destination.
Black and white rhino, buffalo and elephant can be seen on the loop roads around the camp. The numerous rocky outcrops should be searched for rock hyrax, klipspringer, oribi and red duiker (these two latter species though difficult to find are more or less restricted to this part of the Kruger National Park).
A visit to the Mestel Dam can produce hippopotamus, while a stop at the Shitlhave Dam can produce reedbuck. On the carnivore front, wild dog are frequently recorded in the area and, despite the dense grass, so are cheetah. Spotted hyena and leopard should also be searched for.
Pretoriuskop is in an area of thick vegetation, tall grass and unpalatable sour veld. Only below the drainage line is there quality sweeter grass. for grazers. The most dominant tree is the silver cluster-leaf. In the camp itself there are some fine examples of Natal mahogany, marula and sycamore fig.
(For more birding information and park bird checklist, go to Information for Birders)
Birding in Pretoriuskop
In the camp itself look for Green-capped Eremomela, Brown-headed Parrot, Cutthroat Finch, Redheaded Weaver and several sunbird species. Black Cuckoo (summer) and Gorgeous Bush Shrike can be heard calling from the dense bush surrounding the camp. The Pretoriuskop region is one of the best areas in the Park to see Pennant-winged Nightjar, Black-bellied Bustard (Korhaan) and Red-collared Widow.
People with disabilities
Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?