This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
“Your home away from home”-->
When the world was still young, some 3 500 million years ago, molten rock forced its way through the earth's crust and solidified to form the spectacular granite outcrops where Pretoriuskop Rest Camp is now nestled.
The impressive granite dome known as “Shabeni Hill” is not far from the camp, which is found in the south-western corner of the Kruger National Park. It is immediately apparent to any visitor that Pretoriuskop is unique as brilliant red trees adorn the camp, pre-dating the decision to make exclusive use of indigenous plants in laying out rest camp gardens. Nostalgia prompted an exception to the rule for Pretoriuskop, the Kruger National Park's oldest rest camp, and exotic flowering plants were allowed to stay, enhancing the strong sense of the past that is so pervasive.
5 Things To Seek
- Sable Antelope
- Lichtenstein’s Hartebeest
- Wild Dog
- Brown-headed Parrot
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 5128/32
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 5339
- Mobile: 082 802 1203
- 45 x tent or caravan sites, with or without power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 30 x rustic 2, 3, 5 or 6-bed units with ceiling fan and communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplates is available.
- 46 x rustic 2, 3, 5 or 6-bed units with communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplates is available. Equipped with fridge and air-conditioning.
- 52 x 2, 4 or 6-bed units. Units are equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but some with baths) and air-conditioning. Some have both hotplates and sinks. You have a choice of kitchenette or communal kitchen, as well as with or without perimeter view. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery, crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. (Confirm when booking if you would like a choice of double or single bed).
- 4 x 6-bed units (3 bedrooms with 1 double bed and 4 single beds) with well equipped kitchens, air-conditioning and living rooms. One bedroom has a bathroom en-suite (bath, toilet and washbasin) and there is a separate toilet, shower and washbasin for communal use. The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- 1 x 4-bed units (2 bedrooms with 1 double bed and 4 single beds) well equipped with air-conditioning, kitchen and living room. One bedroom has a bathroom en-suite (bath, toilet and washbasin) and there is a separate toilet, shower and washbasin for communal use. The kitchen has an electric hotplate, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- These are large luxury units in prime positions inside the camp. There are well-equipped kitchens (with microwave ovens) and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms (some with showers and baths, others with baths only). Bedrooms are housed in separate units from the main living area. TVs with limited DSTV channels are provided.
- Pierre Joubert: Sleeps 16, with 4 bedrooms (2 single beds plus 2 bench beds in each room)
- Doherty Bryant: Sleeps 9, with 3 bedrooms (1 double bed and 1 single bed in each room).
Accommodation at Pretoriuskop Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements. Choose anything from luxury, self catering, caravanning or camping accommodation for your stay in the wilderness. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue). Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Napi Wilderness Trail (pre-booked overnight activity)
- Madlabantu 4x4 Adventure Trail (weather sensitive activity)
- Sable Trail camp walk
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- No ATM facility available
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Day Visitors Picnic Area in camp
- DSTV (limited channels) only available in Guest Houses
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
The closest airport to Pretoriuskop is Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) that is situated between Nelspruit and White River. KMIA is situated approximately 15 km from White River and about 50 km from Numbi Gate. There are daily scheduled flights between KMIA and OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with less frequent flights from Cape Town and Durban International Airports respectively.
By Road: Numbi Gate
Take the N4 to Nelspruit and then take the R40 to White River. Just outside White River take the R538 and head to the gate. Allow between 4 to 5 hours for the trip to the gate. Pretoriuskop camp is 9 km away from the gate. Allow about 20 minutes for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!
Accommodation & Camping Tariffsinclude($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>