This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
“Service with a smile”-->
Lower Sabie graces the banks of the Sabie River, one of the few perennial rivers to flow through the Kruger National Park. Visitors cannot but feel soothed by the view towards the river and the Lebombo Mountains beyond.
In this rest camp, the bounty and plenitude of nature are very evident, eloquently symbolised by the most conspicuous of its numerous trees, the mighty sycamore fig, which provides generously for the livelihood of many birds and insects. Not only do these giants produce fruit at least twice a year, but different trees produce fruit at different times, extending the gifts of life over many months. Watching the endless procession of animals coming to drink at the Sabie River establishes a sense of one's own place in the eternal cycle.
5 Things To Seek
- Goliath Heron
- Giant Kingfisher
Contact Lower Sabie
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6056/7
- Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6062
- Mobile: 082 888 6562
- 33 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 1, 2, 3 or 5-bed units (4 x 1-bed huts and 26 x multi-bed huts) with communal ablutions and communal kitchen. The units have fridges and air-conditioning but there are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery. A communal kitchen with scullery and electric stoves is available.
- 24 x 2-bed permanent furnished canvas tents on stilts, (some accessible to wheelchairs), fully equipped, with 2 single beds, a fridge, overhead fan and small veranda. You have a choice of with or without river view. Please confirm when booking.
- 58 x 2 bed units, (one accessible to wheelchairs), equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but one with a bath), fridge and with air-conditioning. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric stoves is available. You have a choice of with or without perimeter view. Please confirm when booking.
- 2 x 3-bed units, fully equipped with en-suite bathroom (1 with shower and one with a bath), kitchenette, fridge and with air-conditioning.
- 2 x 5-bed units (2 separate bedrooms, one with 2 single beds and one with 3 single beds), fully equipped with a kitchenette and en-suite bathrooms. Located in budget accommodation area of camp, but with private braai area.
- This is a large luxury unit in prime position, with river view. It is well-equipped with kitchen, multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV television is provided. (No microwave oven)
- Keartland: Sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms, (2 beds in each room)
Accommodation at Lower Sabie Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements. Choose anything from luxury, self catering, caravanning or camping accommodation for your stay in the wilderness. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue). Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Sunset Dam (1km from camp)
- Nthandanyati Bird Hide (approximately 11km from camp)
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- No ATM facility available
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Separate Day Visitors Picnic Area on periphery of camp
- Eco Information Centre
- DSTV (limited coverage) only in Guest House
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
The closest airport to Lower Sabie is Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) that is situated between Nelspruit and White River. KMIA is situated approximately 25km from Nelspruit and about 120km from Crocodile Bridge Gate. There are daily scheduled flights between KMIA and OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with less frequent flights from Cape Town and Durban International Airports respectively.
By Road: Crocodile Bridge Gate
Take the N4 to Nelspruit and head through Nelspruit to Malelane and on to Komatipoort (about 110km). Then turn left onto the R571 just after Komatipoort and head on to the gate. Allow between 5 to 6 hours for the trip to the gate. Lower Sabie camp is 34km away from the gate. Allow about 2 hours for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
Accommodation & Camping Tariffsinclude($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>