Nature has blessed Wilderness with a pleasant, temperate climate; it is unique in Africa as the only area in which rainfall occurs throughout the year. And, to cap it all, most of our rain falls at night! It's the ideal climate for a visit - at any time of the year!
The park is ideal for day visitors with various picnic sites at the rest camp and at the lagoon.
Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel
Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery):
- South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
No firearms allowed.
- No official office hours
- Check-in - 12:00
- Check-out - 09:00
Internal Road Network
The access road from the N2 is paved, however, the access from the northern camp is gravelled.
Tips & Hints
- Pets are not allowed in a national park.
- Remember to bring along a bathing suit, angling equipment, hat, sun block, walking shoes, binoculars, bird and mammal reference books. Hikers must always carry sufficient water.
- Please note it is preferable to swim at Wilderness beach when a lifeguard is on duty.
- Swimming pool for overnight guests only.
- Hot days at waterholes are best for elephant viewing.
- Black rhino are most often sighted in the early evening.
- Lions and spotted hyenas are most often seen in the early morning or evening to night time.
- Firearms are to be declared at reception where they will be sealed. The seal will be broken upon departure.
- No citrus fruits may be taken into the wildlife viewing area.
- What visitors need to take (preparation for the trip):
- Bring along binoculars, camera, walking shoes and wildlife reference books.
- Road maps of tourist routes within the park are available at the reception area. Various information sheets are available at reception.
- For summer (September – March), cool comfortable clothing is recommended along with sunhats and sun protection cream.
- For winter and autumn (April – August), warm clothing is recommended for the night times.
- Insect repellant is recommended, especially in summer.
- No immunisations are needed for travel to this park. The park is situated in a malaria-free area.
For enquiries e-mail Garden Route National Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Tel +27 (0) 44 302 5600
- Fax +27 (0) 44 302 5627
- Physical Address: 24 Queen Street, Royal Hotel Building, Knysna