“Iconic Ideas Competition” to celebrate L'Agulhas
South African National Parks (SANParks) and the Western Cape Department of Economic Development and Tourism (DEDAT) have launched the “Iconic Ideas Competition” to celebrate Africa’s southernmost tip, at L’Agulhas, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans converge.
This competition which runs from 26th of January until the 10th of March 2010 calls on all people across Africa to create and design an iconic concept to celebrate the continent’s most southerly point. The concept should be a structure or symbol that can blend well with the surroundings at the Agulhas National Park, without causing damage to the environment; have continental significance, and be something that people can identify with. Mostly, it should encourage an environment where people can reconnect, spiritually or otherwise.
The judges are searching for something unique and interesting that highlights the intense natural beauty, cultural and historical heritage, the ocean, maritime history and natural elements of the area. The DEDAT would like to showcase Africa’s real southernmost tip, to ensure that it fulfils its potential as a prime tourism destination.
The area where the southernmost tip falls is a nature reserve owned by SANParks. Nearby is the historic L’Agulhas lighthouse precinct, which will also be upgraded to include a new visitors’ centre. Over the past year, the DEDAT has been involved in projects to beautify the area, most notably through the erection of a boardwalk and benches.
A panel of judges consists of local chieftains, urban designers, archaeologists, representatives from SANParks, marketing specialists, tourism experts and government representatives. The winner will be announced in March 2010.
- It is an ICONIC IDEAS competition – it does not have to be a concept for an actual structure.
- If it is a structure the dimensions - width and height - can’t be too large
- No glass or aluminium
- Nothing with mechanics which would require maintenance and repairs
- Historically sensitive
- Can’t be too reflective as it is a significant maritime area, no reflection at night.
- Colour sensitive
- Local materials would be a plus
- Needs to be tamper and vandal proof
- It is in a National Park
- It is the Southernmost Tip of Africa, Mother Africa needs to be reflected
- Inclusive, therefore not exclusive of any culture, country or religion
- Doesn’t have to be an object or structure
- Must mark the significance of the place
- Sensitive to immediate locality
- Idea must be implementable and practical
- Financially Prudent
- Enhance the icon that is the Southernmost Tip
- It must reflect that it is of National and international importance
- Fit in with the vision of SANParks, which broadly speaking is: for the benefit and joy for all.
- Not a monument to a person
- Weather cognisant
- It must reflect the spiritual nature of this special place
- Must be fitting, nature friendly, green
Those that are interested in entering the competition should send their concept idea, written out in no longer than one A4 page and a drawing (if necessary). If you are posting your entry please keep the drawing to an A4 page, preferably on the back of your written page.
Entries can be emailed, posted or faxed, all clearly marked as SOUTHERNMOST TIP OF AFRICA COMPETITION:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Ministry of Finance, Private Bag X9165, Cape Town, 8000
- Fax: (+27) 21 483 3892
- Tel: (+27) 21 483 4327