Photobucket problems

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
DinkyBird

Re: Photobucket problems

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Jan, yes, we are all hoping there will be some solution. I would really think a warning would have been given, at the very least.
- Dalene
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

I am sure that this is illegal. :evil: When we signed up, this was not part of the deal. It is fine if they change an agreement and make it compulsory to pay from a certain date, but to hold us to ransom like this for old images is unacceptable. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jan, I am so sorry that you are affected :( . Your contribution on the forum has been top class in every way.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
squirrel_asc
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by squirrel_asc »

Just a thought -

I know this may not be feasible for everyone, but I've decided to take control and host my own photos some years ago, after being messed around too much by companies like this who either want to charge you extortionate amounts, or limit you to ridiculously small numbers, or overlay adds, or grab copyright of your photos, or....

So... R100/year for a domain name, + R60/month for hosting from Afrihost (there are cheaper options too - At one stage I was paying R20/month! - but wanted some of the better features). I did my own website (I'm a software developer by trade) but anyone can install WordPress on their site and create something nice using that, or alternatively the web is full of templates these days...

It costs me a few bucks, but I'm in control. And if the hosting service ticks me off, I can move everything, and since I own the domain name too, my links won't break.
"Your life becomes a masterpiece when you learn to master peace" 8)

Kgalagadi: 31 Aug - 14 Sep 2019 - Travel Tale
Pretorius Kop: 7 - 14 Mar 2020 :dance: :dance:
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

Jan van Wyk wrote:For sure a disaster for me......... :big_eyes:

Share over 9500 images on the forum and all gone...........don't think it is possible to replace them all..... :hmz:

Lets hope there is a solution........ :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

You were the first person I thought of when I read about this - your contribution tot he forum is to great to be impacted like this!!
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

squirrel_asc wrote:Just a thought -

I know this may not be feasible for everyone, but I've decided to take control and host my own photos some years ago, after being messed around too much by companies like this who either want to charge you extortionate amounts, or limit you to ridiculously small numbers, or overlay adds, or grab copyright of your photos, or....

So... R100/year for a domain name, + R60/month for hosting from Afrihost (there are cheaper options too - At one stage I was paying R20/month! - but wanted some of the better features). I did my own website (I'm a software developer by trade) but anyone can install WordPress on their site and create something nice using that, or alternatively the web is full of templates these days...

It costs me a few bucks, but I'm in control. And if the hosting service ticks me off, I can move everything, and since I own the domain name too, my links won't break.

I use flickr, and it works well for me so far - I only use it to upload photos, nothing else. But who knows when they will do something silly like photobucket did - maybe what you did is a good idea - I will get my son to look at this - would be a good skill for him to learn as well!
squirrel_asc
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Karin Mitton wrote:I use flickr, and it works well for me so far - I only use it to upload photos, nothing else. But who knows when they will do something silly like photobucket did - maybe what you did is a good idea - I will get my son to look at this - would be a good skill for him to learn as well!

I was on flickr some years ago, but then there were some rumours that started doing the rounds that they wanted to start selling your photos and pocketing the money without compensating you. That was the last straw that convinced me not to trust someone else with my photos... (I don't think they ever did it. Maybe the backlash was too big - I know a lot of photographers closed their accounts at that time...)

inyanga 1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 »

Hi

FYI this PB no-warning T's & C's action :twisted: :twisted: is causing chaos around the forums and blogs worldwide.

Some commented that PhotoBucket click ad revenues aren't matching their expenditure on (nowadays cheap) cloud based storage and their employee/shareholder outgoings and that's why they have gone to a $400/yr fee.

One person made a great suggestion to overcome the historic links issue. That PB, instead of not providing the image at all for 'free/lo fee' accounts,
serve a smaller image in a picture frame which has the sub-text 'click here for original picture'. Clicking on that takes you off the forum site to PB main site where ads predominate.

:cry: Not everyone will have backed up their historic images to re-host them.

You could go the DIY route for less....
----------------------------------------------
$400/yr could buy you a nice virtual host with 2Gb RAM and 2Tb storage

Or go to someone like UK2 which offers unlimited webspace normally a 6GBP/month currently offerred at just 1GBP/month [90 rand/month down to 15 rand/month] including free domain name (might not be what you would choose but it's free)

You don't NEED a website (maybe a 'holding page'). Let's assume the domain is called knpforumite.org

Just create a directory called, say, 'linked-pics'; upload your picture (mypicture-001.jpg) there via FireFtp or whatever uploader the hoster provides. And your forum link would become www.knpforumite.org/linked-pics/mypicture-001.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the mean time :pray: let's hope the sanparks continues to fund the hosting of attachments free for forumites as they have done for a couple of years now.
A few TR's - 2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. Cape to Namibia .. Mokala & KNP .More KNP.. .etc
last http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

squirrel_asc wrote:Just a thought -

Thanks for that info :thumbs_up: . :hmz:

I use Afrihost for my website hosting and it is really good value and I have been most impressed. I pay an annual fee that is really not much at all. I used Wix to create my site. (or my daughter did :wink: ) I pay a fee to Wix every month.

I will most definitely look into this.

I am not very cyber literate, but I have got to this point and I am sure that with a bit of tutoring, I can find a way.

I am going to say that the Afrihost team are really :thumbs_up:
squirrel_asc
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

inyanga 1 wrote:You don't NEED a website (maybe a 'holding page'). Let's assume the domain is called knpforumite.org

Just create a directory called, say, 'linked-pics'; upload your picture (mypicture-001.jpg) there via FireFtp or whatever uploader the hoster provides. And your forum link would become www.knpforumite.org/linked-pics/mypicture-001.jpg

That is very true. If all you want is a space to host photos for hot-linking, you don't need a website. Just a domain and a host...

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by roaneric »

I just had a huge shock when I saw all my photo's I posted in the accommodation thread are missing. I didn't see this one coming. I can't believe photobucket force us to pay. :rtm: I will NOT do that so I will also delete my account. :naughty:

I will rather take a few days and replace all the pics directly on the forum so it will be save in the future
Limited Overs and Camp Visits ...... a Forum Tale

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

roaneric wrote:I just had a huge shock when I saw all my photo's I posted in the accommodation thread are missing. I didn't see this one coming. I can't believe photobucket force us to pay. :rtm: I will NOT do that so I will also delete my account. :naughty:

I will rather take a few days and replace all the pics directly on the forum so it will be save in the future

I think that the outrage is making most of us leave. There are so many other options. Good luck with moving your pictures. :thumbs_up:
salamanda

Unread post by salamanda »

OK I have a query. I am now replacing my photos in my TR. as Photobucket decided I was not worthy of their amazing and wonderful site. :twisted: It seems that the photo attachment gizmo (Attachments, below the message)will only allow 10 pics per post. I happen to have had 11 in this particular post and I'm sure as I move on, there will be more such posts. How do I deal with this?
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

Hi Salamanda
Have you actually tried doing 11, and not been able to? :hmz: :hmz:

I ask because we used to only be allowed 10, but I am pretty sure SP relaxed the rules to allow more?

If you have tried 11 and can't, then I have no suggestions sadly, but if you have not tried, then maybe give it a go and see what happens?

I do hope you come right, and hopefully someone else will advise you here? :dance:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
salamanda

Unread post by salamanda »

Many thanks for your reply Val. :gflower: Yes I have tried to put in 11 several times, but it refuses to put in more than ten. I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else has ideas . . . .
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

It has let me do 13, and I could have done more I presume. I wonder if you are doing something differently to me?

I get 2 windows side by side (one is the page I want to post on, the other is the page with the photo.)

Then I drag the photo and drop onto the page I want to post on. Then I scroll down past attachments to
"Place in line" and there you have it, repeat for each photo you want and there you go!!!!

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG

016 (7).JPG