updated website

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
DinkyBird

Re: updated website

Unread post by DinkyBird »

No idea, Karin - maybe turn it off and on again?
- Dalene
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Karin - will this be helpful:

- open a private browsing window, and load it in there

or

- in the settings you can delete the cached data
- Dalene
lala
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lala »

The new look is really good, still busy finding my way around! Great job team :)
But I do agree that the photo background is quite a strain on my eyes. Perhaps giving the option to have a different background if the person chooses would be helpful to some of us?
PAPA SMURF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PAPA SMURF »

Just a further suggestion --- the 'Return to ........." button is totally lost and this if this could be highlighted in some way it would be a great help
Many thanks
If you wish to live and thrive
Let the SPIDER run alive -- Old Wives Tale
Terry
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

That has been noted. Thanks Papa. There are a few other texts similar, which will also been looked at :dance:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
Jesscan1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jesscan1 »

Hi Karen Mitton

To refresh the site on an Ipad or mobile device, click on the round curved Arrow icon (in the URL address bar - where you type in a web address) and it will refresh the webpage.

Regards
Jesscan1
Jesscan1

Unread post by Jesscan1 »

The background is far too "clashy" and makes ones eyes detract from the important info. Please change this asap.

Sorry guys, I am not too impressed with the website at this stage. Hopefully I get used to it. At the moment I find it "irritating".
I think aesthetically, it can be improved a lot. Obviously I understand a lot of work goes into the website and the functionality of everything and that the links all work, etc, but it needs to be aesthetically appealing too. Touch screen wise, it needs to be tested and fine-tuned too as it seems to "bounce around" the screen. It also needs to be tested with different browsers too.

All constructive comments. Good luck trying to sort it all out.
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

Jesscan1 wrote:Where has the "edit" button gone from the posts? You used to be able to edit the content of your comments.

You still can in most topics/forums ,but certain ones like the chill room cannot be edited.

As it is a sensitive area, in the past some members were writing nasty things and then deleting them before they could be moderated, but after they had caused great hurt to some members. Therefore now there is no edit button for these. :thumbs_up:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
arks

Unread post by arks »

DinkyBird wrote:Oh dear, arks - not a single compliment, or good word for the team? :? They have worked extremely hard to bring a lovely, fresh and modern look to the website.

arks wrote:I have (and have had since 2005!) the SANParks homepage as my default browser page as that's always been, for me, the easiest way to then go to the cams and the forum.

Why not set multiple pages as your default browser pages (I do) that will open directly to the cams and forums?

I have no idea how to do that. I use Firefox and so far as I know, there is only one "default" setting :hmz:

DinkyBird wrote:
arks wrote:Also, on the all webcams page, they are again being displayed 3 + 1 and NOT in the "usual" order (which I assume is preferred by most?) which is: Orpen and Satara as the first row and Addo and Nossob as the second row. I hope that this can be fixed?

Which browser are you using? As they display perfectly fine for me:

webcams.JPG

I use Firefox and I still get 3 + 1, altho the order is now Orpen, Satara, Addo and Nossob :thumbs_up:
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

DinkyBird wrote:Karin - will this be helpful:

- open a private browsing window, and load it in there

or

- in the settings you can delete the cached data

Not to worry, I deleted my favourite bookmark, started from scratch, and it is now perfect.
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

arks wrote:I use Firefox and I still get 3 + 1, altho the order is now Orpen, Satara, Addo and Nossob :thumbs_up:

I also get 3 in a row and then 1. But for me that view is fine, as long as I can see all 4 at once
I did not notice the order is different - it does not actually matter?

I can just once again say that I do love the new website - layout, look and feel and the background s great. :clap: :clap:
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

Congratulations to those who worked hard on this new look website :clap: I have only one "mutter" - the background is beautiful but busy and tends to draw ones attention away from the posts that you are looking at.
Otherwise - no problems!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
inyanga 1

Unread post by inyanga 1 »

arks wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:Oh dear, arks - not a single compliment, or good word for the team? :? They have worked extremely hard to bring a lovely, fresh and modern look to the website.
Why not set multiple pages as your default browser pages (I do) that will open directly to the cams and forums?

I have no idea how to do that. I use Firefox and so far as I know, there is only one "default" setting :hmz:

Arks,
using firefox 49 on windows 10...

Set up the web pages that you like to see in separate tabs (right click and open in new tab),
move the tabs so the order is what you prefer (drag and drop),
save that set of tabs as a bookmark (Right click on a tab and select 'bookmark all tabs')

Now click on menu bar icon , choose 'options',
under startup click on 'use current pages'. you should see the list of page urls separated by the | character) in the home page setting,
choose either to display a blank page or the (new) home page in the 'when Firefox starts' option.

Now on android firefox and probably chrome it's not so easy as you may have to copy and paste the page urls separated by the | character manually into the home page setting.
Safari would probably be the same but until umtali1 puts the iPad down, i cannot confirm that or provide a guide.

hope that this helps you, and may give others ideas on easy access to favourite sets of pages..
A few TR's - 2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. Cape to Namibia .. Mokala & KNP .More KNP.. .etc
last http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping
arks

Unread post by arks »

Karin Mitton wrote:
arks wrote:I use Firefox and I still get 3 + 1, altho the order is now Orpen, Satara, Addo and Nossob :thumbs_up:

I also get 3 in a row and then 1. But for me that view is fine, as long as I can see all 4 at once
I did not notice the order is different - it does not actually matter?:

Perhaps it matters to me because much of the year I am 6--7 hours behind RSA time and thus for much of my viewing "day" Nossob is off line and Addo is also often not viewable at night, so then I simply focus on the Kruger cams.

Also, in the 2x2 arrangement, the cam images are considerably larger, which is a help for my old(er) eyes.

@mods and web designers: It would also help old(er) eyes to have the font a bit larger as I have a (very) hard time reading this tiny font.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ »

For the print size problem try clicking on 'view' at the top of your Firefox page and then 'zoom in'. It will give you larger print.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!