Tessa G's Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park, August 2016

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Tessa G
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Tessa G's Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park, August 2016

Unread post by Tessa G »

Tuesday 30th August 2016

This won't be a Trip Report in the true sense of the word, more like a photographic tour. :lol: I promised Matthys that I would post photos of the park at the moment, so here goes.

Dave and I had been wanting to take a drive up the West Coast to see the flowers and because of work commitments, were only able to allow ourselves the 30th or 31st which was after our Month End.

We had been having days of thick mist for a while, due to the warm land temperatures we had been experiencing, together with the cold sea temperatures and once our picnic lunch had been prepared for the next day, a glance at the weather report looked like the mist was going to play a part again. Nevertheless Tuesday morning saw us leave Somerset West heading through Stellenbosch via Darling to WCNP.

The day was lovely and warm, even though a bit misty and on arrival, headed out to the bird hide at Abrahamskraal, being greeted by a family of young ostriches on the way, and then we spent time with a few very busy and chatty birds.

We left the bird hide, making our way along the main tar road to enter the area that is only open during the flower season, August and September.
We had been to see the flowers the previous year, but had missed the best of them.....this time our timing was spot on and we were met with views of carpets and carpets of flowers, like I have never seen in my life before.

To Be Continued/....
Last edited by Tessa G on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Trip Report - Spots, Stripes & More: Tessa and Dave 2022

22nd Dec Lower Sabie
23rd - 25th Dec 2022 Orpen
26th - 27th Dec 2022 Olifants
28th - 31st Dec 2022 Sirheni
1st - 3rd Jan 2023 Mopani
Tessa G
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park

Unread post by Tessa G »

Hugh - It really makes for a lovely outing, even if not in flower season. Pack a picnic lunch and find a spot near the sea makes for some special and relaxing times :D

Grantmissy - Thanks so much GM. We thoroughly enjoyed our day and were amazed at the flower show. :D

Trrp - A real pleasure :D and I hope you will enjoy the rest.

Roaneric - Its a lovely spot, with lagoon vistas, beautiful white beaches and bird hides too. Then in Spring there is the flower show, which is just the icing on the cake.

Part 2

We entered the Postberg part of the park which is usually closed to the public, apart from the 2 months of the year when it is the flower season.
Looking back......WOW!

Beautiful white daisies close to the road.

Our slow drive continued and every now and again I got out of the car, remaining on the road and not entering the carpet of flowers, taking photos of such beauty.

A Yellow-billed Kite flew across and I attempted to catch it in flight. (I was unsure as to the Yellow-billed ID because the tail did not seem to have the usual fork, but looking in my books it would appear that this colouring and bill made it the correct ID)

A Sacred Ibis making for a lovely photo in amongst the flowers

To Be Continued/....

22nd Dec Lower Sabie
Tessa G
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G »

Part 3

Our drive through the carpets of flowers continued and when we stopped and turned the engine of the car off, we could hear the distant sound of the waves crashing on the rocks at the beach. Pure bliss!!!

It almost looked like patches of snow.

We had seen Eland and zebra, but too far in the distance to get a good photo, but this Bontebok, one of four, gave me the opportunity of a nice shot.

After leaving the flowers in the Postberg section of the park, we took a drive down to the beach at Tsaarsbank and spent time sitting on the rocks watching the waves crashing on the rocks nearby while we had our picnic lunch of rolls, fruit and fruit juice.

To Be Continued/....

22nd Dec Lower Sabie
Tessa G
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G »

Thank you all so very much for your comments and compliments. We so enjoyed our little visit and its lovely that these photos are bring you enjoyment, Matthys, Isinkwe, Umtali1, Hilda, Ray K, Cape of Storms, Sparrow, Jan van Wyk, Hugh, Pumbaa, manicwalker, MM, Karin Mitton. :k

As Matthys says, I hope that by seeing photos of this wonderful little park, that people will give it a visit when next in the area.
Even when the flowers are not in flower, there is so much to see and such beautiful views of the Langebaan Lagoon as well as the Atlantic Ocean.

Now for the last of my photographs of this thoroughly enjoyable day.

A Beach of shells

A few birds that came to visit me on the rocks.....Cape Wagtail

Oystercatchers

When we left the Atlantic Ocean side, we drove passed the Honorary Rangers hut and a Cape Spurfowl couple were at their ablutions....

A Cape Robin Chat also came to see what all the dust was about....

The drive back the way we had come allowed us the last views of this amazing show that Mother Nature puts on for us every Spring.

Thanks to you all for sharing this with us.

The End

22nd Dec Lower Sabie