SANParks Photo Competition 2016

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards
roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: SANParks Photo Competition 2016

Unread post by roaneric »

Hi all

I'm busy sorting out some pics for the competition. In which category should I post my reptile pics?
Limited Overs and Camp Visits ...... a Forum Tale

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"
Bongeka Makabeni

Unread post by Bongeka Makabeni »

roaneric wrote:Hi all

I'm busy sorting out some pics for the competition. In which category should I post my reptile pics?

Hi Roanic

if it is predominantly the face, portrait (category 1), if it is the whole body or reptile doing something, animals and insects (category 6). Apologies for the delayed response.

Good luck
Kenmo

Unread post by Kenmo »

I have received this yesterday:

"Dear Ken and Maureen
Thank you for your submissions. Your entries are confusing. Please do not enter as a pair, and Ken, you are only allowed 2 images per category, your compact entries are too many, there should be 12. Please go through the competition rules and resubmit your entries, as separate individuals please
."

I have tried to reply to it but the reply merely bounces back saying that the competition is closed. My reply is:

"Sorry for any confusion.
I submitted three, separate e-mails for the Compact category; one for me, one for my wife, Maureen and one for my sister-in-law, Christine Leng. All of the individual pictures within each e-mail were properly named for each person. All of the e-mails came from my e-mail account simply because I had all of the photos on my laptop. I can resend each e-mail if it helps
."

Any chance whoever sent this could get back to me as I'd hate to miss the competition? Not that I think we might win: we just enjoy taking part.

I have somewhat scatter-gunned this query to everyone I can think of, including Bongeke Makabeni, in the hope of sorting this out, so if anyone out there can help, please feel free to join in.

Many thanks

Ken Mackay
[email protected]
Bongeka Makabeni

[quote="Kenmo"]I have received this yesterday:

"Dear Ken and Maureen
Thank you for your submissions. Your entries are confusing. Please do not enter as a pair, and Ken, you are only allowed 2 images per category, your compact entries are too many, there should be 12. Please go through the competition rules and resubmit your entries, as separate individuals please
."

I have tried to reply to it but the reply merely bounces back saying that the competition is closed. My reply is:

"Sorry for any confusion.
I submitted three, separate e-mails for the Compact category; one for me, one for my wife, Maureen and one for my sister-in-law, Christine Leng. All of the individual pictures within each e-mail were properly named for each person. All of the e-mails came from my e-mail account simply because I had all of the photos on my laptop. I can resend each e-mail if it helps
."

Any chance whoever sent this could get back to me as I'd hate to miss the competition? Not that I think we might win: we just enjoy taking part.

I have somewhat scatter-gunned this query to everyone I can think of, including Bongeke Makabeni, in the hope of sorting this out, so if anyone out there can help, please feel free to join in.

Many thanks

Ken Mackay

Hi Ken, we are in the process of going through and rechecking all submissions, when we get to your's again, we will be in contact, if it is separate emails, the confusion should be solved.

Kind regards
Kenmo

Unread post by Kenmo »

Thanks Bongeka, you're a star!
Kenmo

Unread post by Kenmo »

Hi! Bongeka - Any news on our entries? Many thanks, Ken Mackay.
Bongeka Makabeni

Kenmo wrote:Hi! Bongeka - Any news on our entries? Many thanks, Ken Mackay.

Hi Ken

Got them, they have been entered into the competition.

Good luck
penolva

Unread post by penolva »

Can I ask if the rule that you must use your winning entry vouchers within 6 months has been removed this year? Not all of us from abroad are able to come to South Africa within a six month period after the winners are announced. thanks Pen
Bongeka Makabeni

penolva wrote:Can I ask if the rule that you must use your winning entry vouchers within 6 months has been removed this year? Not all of us from abroad are able to come to South Africa within a six month period after the winners are announced. thanks Pen

Hi Pen

Please see response from when the issue was raised

Dear forumites,

With regard to the prizes being valid for midweek and out of pick season - unfortunately that is to protect SANParks from financial loss.

Sorry to disappoint.

The only alternative to the prizes - if we were to allow them over weekends, etc - was to cut them to 1 night only (instead of 2).

And we really did not want to do that... it's not as beneficial for you as having 2 nights - considering that sometimes you need to drive far, and incur other expenses to get there.

Good luck to you and all participants. We can't wait to get your submissions. :gflower:
Nedret Saidova
Senior Manager: E-Business, SANParks
penolva

Unread post by penolva »

Thankyou Bongeka :gflower: I take it from that the six months rule has been removed. Great news. Pen
Bongeka Makabeni

penolva wrote:Thankyou Bongeka :gflower: I take it from that the six months rule has been removed. Great news. Pen

Hi Pen

I apologize for the misunderstanding, what I was trying to show you is that, unfortunately, the rule has to remain because of the fore mentioned reasons.
penolva

Unread post by penolva »

Oh that's a shame :cry:
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks »

Bongeka Makabeni wrote:
penolva wrote:Thankyou Bongeka :gflower: I take it from that the six months rule has been removed. Great news. Pen

Hi Pen
I apologize for the misunderstanding, what I was trying to show you is that, unfortunately, the rule has to remain because of the fore mentioned reasons.

That's highly discriminatory against SANParks's many many many overseas visitors and a huge disincentive. I certrainly couldn't be bothered to enter knowing that should I win, I'd likely be unable to use my prize. :wall: I can't imagine why such a 6-month limit is necessary.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Bongeka Makabeni

arks wrote:
Bongeka Makabeni wrote:

Hi Pen

That's highly discriminatory against SANParks's many many many overseas visitors and a huge disincentive. I certainly couldn't be bothered to enter knowing that should I win, I'd likely be unable to use my prize. :wall: I can't imagine why such a 6-month limit is necessary.

We have exhausted discussions around this matter with foramites and parties involved in putting together the competition, the prizes and what we are planning to add in time to come are sponsored, the division hosting the competition has no say over accommodation, if the sponsoring department gives us midweek off-peak season nights that need to be claimed in 6 months, we take it. We work hard in trying to get sponsors for better prizes for our park lovers but if it causes disgruntlement the alternative is to go back to branded items.
isinkwe
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe »

I have a way that may help resolve the problem for our international mites. :D

I am quite willing to take over your "donated to me " :D prize for any international , or national mite for that matter and in return I will do a travel tale for the "winner" as long as you don't try and use the photographs from " your donated trip travel tale" for the next photograph competition , that wont do any of you much good , but it will be a fun trip that you can enjoy from home , a braai and breakfast included ( photographically speaking)
PM your prize to me and it wont go to waste :D :D :thumbs_up:
I am even prepared to pretend that I am absolutely miserable and not enjoying myself at all on your "prize holiday"
Seems like a win /win ( or maybe just a win for me :D )

Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm: