Skip to Content

Questions & Comments about the cams

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
ZLATCO

Unread postby ZLATCO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks danie . I understand.. But i'm time it will be possible...? ..

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Danie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I am sure it will be possible - there are a few ways to address the problem provided there is sufficient bandwidth available! At the moment it is not possible mainly to the very slow response from the webcams at the various sites - as said the webcams are sharing the same datalinks as our 'normal' applications that we need for admin/e-mail/reservations/etc at the respective sites. and we can't use more bandwidth that will have a detrimental effect on our normal business needs via the network.

Now and then during the day, but especially after hours, I do change the webcams' angles, zoom in, etc. when it will have less impact on our applications that do need the bandwidth to run our camps, etc.

Thanks for your interest and enjoy the webcams!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

BunnyHugger

SATARA WEBCAM

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi 'mites.

I have noticed what appears to be a large pool of water in the background of the Satara webcam. (Saw it some time ago and figured it was just my eyes, but it looks like it is there again).

With all the rain that is falling I would not be surprised if it is water, but I would like some confirmation.

Can anyone help? (Danie, I think you are the cam controler. Is it a large pool of surface water?)
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Danie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi BunnyHugger

On the Satara webcam there is no large pool of water in the background. I think what you mistake for a pool of water is actually a dirty spot on the transparent perspex 'globe' that protects the cam against rain,etc. With the recent rains, a raindrop dried up with some dirt it on the perspex cover and that is out of focus about 5/6cm from the cam lens on the outside looking like a hazy pool of water in the distance. If you look carefully you'll notice that the grass is quite tall behind the waterhole and water (if any) will not be visible. i know the area behind the waterhole well and it is a flat area where it will be difficult for water to form a longlasting pool.

To the left of the waterhole (out of normal view) there is an area where water might form a natural pool but that is out of normal view and I have never seen an actual pool there.

Thanks for the question though!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

BunnyHugger

Location of Orpen Cam

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello fellow 'mites.

When I was at Satara in July, we asked the camp staff where the webcam was. The answers we got were not word related, they were withering looksas though we had just arrived from a far off planet in aother galaxy. Words like Eish and Angazi, were finally expressed in reply. We managed to find it easily enough just using deductive reasoning.

I wouldlike to know if anyone can tell me the whereabouts of the Orpen cam as we will be in the area in April andwould like to spend some time at the water hole (If possible. In Satara, you just sit on the bench at the fence).
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Easy. Enter Orpen gate and go onto the H7. It'll be just after camp, on your left.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:59 pm

You can also enjoy the Orpen cam from the Orpen camp. It looks out over the waterhole.

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Better yet, in midsummer you can lounge in the Orpen pool and watch the waterhole. 8)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

namkram

Satara webcam / s

Unread postby namkram » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 am

hi, can someone please explain the cam situation at satara - is there just one cam being swung into different positions or are the several cams?
thanx,
alan.
mypics can be on webshots.com under namkram1

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 am

Hi Allan!

There is just the one cam, but it can rotate, swivel, zoom, pan and prepare a braai. Oh, one of those is not correct. :wink:
Have a look in this topic for photos of the cam and light.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

_Nats_

Unread postby _Nats_ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Guess where this is :wink:

The view..........

The actual Camera...........

The hide where the cam is............

Nossob Camp..........
Treat the earth well... It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

themba

Re: Latest on webcams?

Unread postby themba » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi All,

We have added a new feature in response to the request, now clicking on the highlight opens up a bigger image. This feature is only available on the forums pages and not on the main webcam page. Thank you.

Fatcat

Location of Orpen Webcam?

Unread postby Fatcat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Please could someone tell me where the Orpen webcam is? :doh: I was told that the Orpen dam is not actually situated at Orpen, but further towards Satara ? :redface:
13 to 16 Dec 2014 - Lower Sabie
17 to 21 Dec 2014 - Maroela

kaaskop

Re: Location of Orpen Webcam?

Unread postby kaaskop » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

It is the dam on the left next to the road when you go out of Orphen on the H7. 100 meters from the camp. Camera is between the road and the dam.

kaaskop

Re: Location of Orpen Webcam?

Unread postby kaaskop » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Forgot to say that the Orpen dam is 3 km from Tshokwane on the S32

Return to “Webcams”