Was this the Mac Timbavati (R.I.P)

Moderator: RosemaryH

Elephantears

Was this the Mac Timbavati (R.I.P)

Unread post by Elephantears »

Hi Hosemary H,
I have just come across this tread! Whilst I was in Kruger October 2013 I saw this tusker with a tracking collor on the H1-6 main road south of Shingwedzi camp.The GPS coordination are 23"5' 50.46"S 31" 24' 6.83"E and saw him around 13.20 on the 14th Oct 2013. He was with 5 or 6 other fairly big elephants some of them also had big tusks. Most interestingly there was another elephant, much smaller, in the same group with a stunted trunk and the "two fingers" at the end of it missing. I was unable to get a picture of him. On my return I tried to post some photos and details to [email protected] but the email kept bouncing back and I eventually gave up on the issue!
Now that I have discovered your thread I am interested to find out that this indeed was the Mac timbavati tusker?
I have noticed that there is a Mac APNR listed in the past tuskers is this the same one?
Thanhttp://s1313.photobucket.com/user/j ... 7.jpg.html]Image[/url]Image
Thank you very much
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Was this the Mac Timbavati (R.I.P)

Unread post by RosemaryH »

Elephantears, thanks for posting :D - super picture and great information :thumbs_up:

I have passed your post on for comment.

What a wonderful sighting :D if it is confirmed as Mac APNR :popcorn:
Rose
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

A reply in from the team Elephantears

Thanks for the this, I would actually say this is Nkombo from the shape of the ivory – he is also one of the APNR bulls from where Mac originated and he is known to move between Letaba and Shingwedzi when in the KNP.

The image and info you have submitted has be forwarded to the Save the Elephants Research project on the APNR for confirmation and comment. I will post the response here once received.

Thanks for posting - such a stunning elephant :thumbs_up:
Rose
Elephantears

Hi Rosemary, Thank you for your reply. Regarding, what I read about Mac Timabavati's death, infected abscess in his molars may have caused him to starve to death in late October This tusker we saw looked to be in pretty good condition so you might be right that we didn't see Mac Timbavati. Still very nice to have come across another big tusker!
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Hi Elephantears a reply back from Michelle of the Save the Elephants Research project tends to agree with previous id.

Difficult to ID with the ears flattened but from the tusk shape I would say you are spot on – Nkombo

:thumbs_up: on your observations :)
Rose
Elephantears

Hi Rosemary,
Thank you for the reply. Just incase if Michelle didn't notice that the second flattened out photo is a video. If you click on it it will open in photobucket as a video. Then she might be able to spot a hole in one of the ears which may aid her a bit to identify it.
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

:thumbs_up: Elephantears I never realised that. I certainly will pass this on. Nice footage :D
Rose
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Fantastic footage :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.