Past Tusker - Hlanganini

Moderator: RosemaryH

Imberbe
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Hlanganini breaks piece off tusk

Unread post by Imberbe »

I did some investigation and received the following information.

Thank you to Mr. Ben van Eeden (Regional Manager, Nxanatseni Region) and Mr. Louis Olivier (Regional Ranger: Nxanatseni South).

Photos included at the bottom, but are not for sensitive people. Please skip if it is going to cause you distress.

Mr. Olivier writes the following:
(translation mine):

I was part of the flight crew in the helicopter on Thursday 27 August 09, when we found the carcass of Hlanganini approx. 10 km south east of Letaba camp in the bush. I notified a few colleagues per SMS from the helicopter.

Joe Nkuna, the section ranger of Letaba was with me and agreed to retrieve the tusks and skull. This was done on Tuesday the 1st of September by a group of people. It was clear that Hlanganini was tusked by another bull on both sides of his skull, which caused his death.

Dr. Ian Whyte, retired colleague and well know elephant expert, examined his teeth and estimates his age at approx. 53 years. Which means that he actually had a few years left (according to our human convictions) and would have become a really enormous tusker in this time. Dr. Whyte estimated that Hlanganini was the biggest tusker in KNP, since Duke broke both his tusks earlier.

Photo 1 = Hlanganini carcass from the air

Photo 2 – Hole in his skull caused by another bulls tusk.

Photo 3 – Lower jaw, showing the teeth by which one can age an elephant.

Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

"Wilderness cannot be conquered, it becomes part of you and enriches your soul." - Louis

The ultimate wilderness experience! Visit www.thekrugertrail.com
CuriousCanadian
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Hlanganini

Unread post by CuriousCanadian »

Thanks for the info Imberbe..... :(
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.
iNkwazi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by iNkwazi »

Thank you, Imberbe for the info and confirmation. I think all who read this thread kind of lived with some hope that perhaps it wasnt true. Real pity that he still had a few years left - but that's nature, and survival of the fittest, I suppose. :hmz:
It takes one tree to make 10,000 matches, but one match to burn 10,000 trees.
Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pjw »

I agree with Jane.... At least it was a natural death :(
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)
MikeGoss

Unread post by MikeGoss »

One of our last pitures of the great tusker April 2009. this photo has not been adjusted in any way.

We have seen him on several visits and will miss looking out for him in the future. :(

Last edited by MikeGoss on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pumbaa »

Thanks for the information Imberbe :cry:

Hopefully they will now finally add the skull and tusk to the Letaba elephant museum as well as Duke's and Alexander's tusks as there are more than Magnificent seven tuskers to be noticed and watched and paying tribute :thumbs_up:
Ferdelance
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ferdelance »

Thanks for confirming Imberbebe!
So sad to see such a magnificent animal so mutilated.... :shock: . it's really wierd that he died of a mortal stab wound? Why would they fight at that age.... surely he is already past the mating stage of his life? When we saw him in June last year he was with 6 askaris.....

I guess this is nature hey! Very sad though....
Stiffneck on the loose.....
Latest Lifer:= Lesser Crested Tern; Rufous Winged Cisticola.
DANKBAAR
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DANKBAAR »

Another circle of life completed.

RIP Hlanganini. :cry: :cry:
SPRINGBOK AND PROTEA SUPPORTER FOR EVER
oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy »

very sad news :( especially seeings as he had a few good years left.Its a pity that i did not have the privilege to see this magnificent elephant :(
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
SamoesaWoestyn

Unread post by SamoesaWoestyn »

Myself and Petro saw him on the same day (27 June 2009) and if we have the last photos of him, I consider ourselves VERY lucky!
We had brunch at Letaba and then just a few kilometers from Letaba we saw the one and only Hlanganini down by the river… What an awesome elephant!!!

Hlanganini, thank you for giving us a chance to see you just before you left us!

RIP my friend.
SamoesaWoestyn

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!
Eagle Owl

Unread post by Eagle Owl »

Tribute to Hlanganini

Hlanganini, the first time we saw you, in May 2008 (and the only time as well), near Letaba, we knew that you were one very special ellie. Yeah, maybe it was that great tusks of yours, but we could not get ourselves to part from you, and sat there, maybe an hour, just watching you grazing. So peacefull, no bother in the world. We did not even know your name then (we were new to the Park). Nothing else was going on, only you and your buddy, doing your thing. Cars went by, just giving one glance and pushing on. I often wondered if they really saw you, or were you just another elephant like all the others in the Park, for them. For us, you gave another wonderful memorable moment in the Park we will always treasure. We were looking forward to seeing you again in December, but that was not meant to be. You left us a few months earlier, going peacefully where no one could disturbe you. Although we feel sad when thinking of you, we are just glad that you went naturally and not by the hands of people slaughtering elephants and rhinos for their tusks and horns. That you were one of those lucky one's who went all the way. It was a pleasure knowing you, and we will always be thinking of you when we will be in the Park. Beautifull, beautifull Hlanganini.....

And to your buddy, whom I hope has a new pal by now and that he will also become a great tusker.

One of Kruger's great one's, this is a tribute to you.

With love
oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy »

Eagle owl, you are very privileged to have seen him :mrgreen: , those are special memories. We had a similar experience with cars simply passing while we sat parked watching duke.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
iNkwazi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by iNkwazi »

Lovely tribute, Eagle Owl :clap: :clap: :clap: .
It takes one tree to make 10,000 matches, but one match to burn 10,000 trees.
Mike1916
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mike1916 »

What a lovely Tribute Eagle Owl :clap: :clap:
Sustainability is not something we do in addition to..........., it is about the manner in which we do everything
carolynn

Unread post by carolynn »

We are all so grateful for our 'Hlanganini moments' :(
Live each day as if it's your last... and one day you'll be right!