SANParks calls for participation in Emerging Tuskers Project

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: SANParks calls for participation in Emerging Tuskers Pro

Unread post by Stark »

Very good post barryels. There is no reason we can't have civil discussions, and sometimes differences, on this forum, without our noses getting out of joint.

Wise words.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

KNP 2021 was a blast, so we're going back in 2022!
17 Oct. - Biyamiti
20 Oct. - Satara
23 Oct. - Olifants
26 Oct. - Lower Sabie
Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa »

barryels wrote: because moderators does not have the luxury to ignore posts that is against the rules, or participate in discussions of sensitive topics.

I also know that it is in our nature to use everything in our power to proof our point and even use the Constitution if confronted in any way.

Hi barryels, hope you are well. I have to disagree with you on two points. Mods do get involved in discussions on sensitive topics. Look here. Duke Ellieton, bert and JenB were all Mods at the time.

Agree that the rules must not be ignored, just applied fairly.

Secondly, the constitution is the supreme law of the land. Have a look at the bottom of the link to the rules you posted. it says:

South African legislation and its provisions, e.g. the constitution and the bill of rights prevails on this website.

This statement was not there a year ago I think.
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB »

Sharifa wrote:
barryels wrote: because moderators does not have the luxury to ignore posts that is against the rules, or participate in discussions of sensitive topics.

Hi barryels, hope you are well. I have to disagree with you on two points. Mods do get involved in discussions on sensitive topics. Look here. Duke Ellieton, bert and JenB were all Mods at the time.

Moderators are still members of this forum and have the right to participate in the normal way. I'm not aware of any mods rule which expects mods to not participate.

It is different when active moderating is required tho.

Referring to a hot topic like the Cycle Challenge debate which you might well remember.
Mods all held different views which were or were not the same as the general forum opinion but still they all put personal feelings aside and moderated according to the rules, even if someone absolutely echoed ones personal opinion, the forum rules had to be applied, equally across the board.

Mods often take flack for not moderating according to personal opinion but that comes with the territory and requirement of a thick skin.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark »

I think Sharifa's call to have the rules applied fairly is a perfect compliment to barryels call for civility and community. One cannot thrive without the other.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

KNP 2021 was a blast, so we're going back in 2022!
17 Oct. - Biyamiti
20 Oct. - Satara
23 Oct. - Olifants
26 Oct. - Lower Sabie
Hawk
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hawk »

granny wrote:Not just pertaining to this issue, but to many others it seems to me that the Moderators and Admin on this forum spend most of their time sitting on the fence.

Moderating anything must surely mean keeping any action, debate or discussion within reasonable bounds for the sake of fairness and balance. Also to add information to a discussion which might help in this regard. Failure to do this runs the risk of the above quoted statement.

This can also result from a need to protect less assertive members from very one sided and sometimes very dominant members. A lot of members dont feel confident or comfortable airing their views in the sensitive topics. I think we should always keep in mind that the majority of members on this forum do not involve themselves in these topics, and not always because they are not interested, but perhaps because it can be very intimidating. They are mostly the people who keep this forum going. They supply the bulk of the content, the knowledge, the shared experiences, the fun etc.
Verba volant scripta manent
Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa »

Hawk wrote:
This can also result from a need to protect less assertive members from very one sided and sometimes very dominant members.

Works both ways :wink:

Look here
Hawk
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hawk »

Sharifa wrote:
Hawk wrote:
This can also result from a need to protect less assertive members from very one sided and sometimes very dominant members.

Works both ways :wink:

Look here

Yes, I agree it applies to all of us.
Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa »

I take my hat off to you :gflower:

We were once friends, no reason why we cannot be so again :D
Hawk
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hawk »

Sharifa, I dont allow differences in honest and open debate to affect my friendships. I try hard not to offend others here. I'm sure I fail at times, as we all do. Every time one takes part in debate there is potential for offence. It's the nature of human beings, but as the old saying goes "It's better to to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" (better still though to have won :) )

Something that does help keep me in check though is the hard fact that the written word, if kept is indisputable, but it does seem a shame that so many words recorded on this forum are written in a spirit of conflict and argument. It is such a waste of time, effort and resources.

So to respond to your post, My friendship with you has not changed.

I'm very concious of the fact that we are way off topic here with our personal chat, so if this get's removed I can't complain.
Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa »

:thumbs_up:
barryels
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by barryels »

Sharifa wrote:

I also know that it is in our nature to use everything in our power to proof our point and even use the Constitution if confronted in any way.

Agree that the rules must not be ignored, just applied fairly.

Secondly, the constitution is the supreme law of the land. Have a look at the bottom of the link to the rules you posted. it says:

South African legislation and its provisions, e.g. the constitution and the bill of rights prevails on this website.

This statement was not there a year ago I think.

Noted :thumbs_up:
Always be humble and never think you are better than anyone else...
For dust you are; and into dust you shall return
Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten »

Just checked the new Sanparks Tuskers thread...

Thank you to Sanparks for waking up at last!
It looks good and positive.
I see IDing of elephant sightings on a regular basis by RosemaryH
Please don't let it die as in the past...
Would be nice if everybody could make peace, including Sanparks and Aat, so everybody could benefit from this part of Kruger that is so dear to many of us.
Looking forward to seeing a few tuskers in July myself!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

:D Friedrich :thumbs_up:

I wish you a great trip in July and may you "meet" some good tuskers.
Rose
100ponder
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by 100ponder »

Under the locked thread of BIG TUSKERS Barryels requested contributers to that thread to advise if they agree to their contributions being transferred to "new environments".

Following is my PM reply to him :-

Hello Barry,

As per your request repeated below - I do not want you to transfer any of my contributions on the BIG TUSKERS thread to any new "environment" on the SANPARKS forums.

All I can do is to request that you reinstate the BIG TUSKERS thread unaltered.

Regards,

Gerrie

All please note my appeal to reinstate the BIG TUSKERS thread as it was. . . . .

Gerrie.
anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie »

As per your request, I don't want you to transfer any of my contributions on the BIG TUSKERS thread to any new "environment" on the SANPARKS forums.

I think they are in their place, where they have always been. Without the determination of Aat, I probably would not send these pictures, he gave me the love of elephants.

All I would like, is to find again the BIG TUSKERS thread like it was........ :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

Kgalagadi lover… for ever :k