Skip to Content

Field Guide to the Historical Sites of Kruger NP - R Hopkins

See what other forumites recommend you should read
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)

Field Guide to the Historical Sites of Kruger NP - R Hopkins

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Wild card featured this book on their websites recently wild card which looked like a very interesting read and handy book when visiting Kruger.

I managed to obtain a copy which arrived yesterday and started reading last night. Well, if have read books of Kol J Stevenson-Hamilton, Harry Wolhuter, etc then their books made reference to some interesting places which are now historical sites (i.e. Harry Wolhuter and the lion challenge). This book elaborates on what one reads on the plaques and gives context with detailed information.

The book contains over 60 sites from the north, central and southern sections of Kruger contained in a 188 pager with lovely photos and section maps where one can see these sites. What makes this book different to other Kruger books is that it is , as I quote the author "the history in the Kruger as opposed to the history of the Kruger National Park" . So it a summary of the historical sites and the story behind what one reads on the inscriptions/plaques when visiting these sites.

Reading the first few chapters, it seems to be an excellent addition to a Kruger collection and a practical guide when visiting the area enriching the experience with knowledge of the past.

With only 10 days to go to our next Kruger visit, a real toss up of what to read i.e. this book or continue with Gamerangers on the life of Harry Kirkman. :hmz:
Current: Table Mountain's mood today; Jul'16 ADDO NP
Finalised: Dec'15 Mokala ; Kruger; Golden Gate; Karoo; Sep'15 Bontebok; Jul'15 Agulhas; Aug'15 West Coast; Dec'14 Kruger; Jun'16 MZNP
Future: Jul'16 Storms river & Wildernis NP

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)

Re: Field Guide to the Historical Stes of Kruger NP - R Hopk

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 am

yoda, I cannot say, but you can contact Ron Hopkins on windowalertsa@gmail.com for more detail. :hmz:

Meandering Mouse, I agree and definitely a great book to have if you love the history and make it comes alive when visiting with the information at hand. :thumbs_up:

Grantmissy, definitely worth the while...I am enjoy reading it now and now on the significance of Baobab hill...fascinating events that took place in the early years. :D
Current: Table Mountain's mood today; Jul'16 ADDO NP
Finalised: Dec'15 Mokala ; Kruger; Golden Gate; Karoo; Sep'15 Bontebok; Jul'15 Agulhas; Aug'15 West Coast; Dec'14 Kruger; Jun'16 MZNP
Future: Jul'16 Storms river & Wildernis NP

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Field guide to the historical sites of Kruger National Park

Unread post by Rooies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:08 pm

It appears to be a new book about Kruger. I quote;

"As its title suggests, the book is meant to be to be used as a field guide.It is based on the 60 identified historical sites and the text is designed to compliment the information plaques. Some of the people and events described here are well known, such as Harry Wolhuter's run-in with two lions and Colonel Stevenson-Hamilton's contribution to Kruger. But there is a cast of pioneers, rogues, leaders and heroes that will be new to many Kruger visitors. The book is self-published and contain black-and-white images, many of which give a fascinating glimpse into a world that is long gone."

This may be a useful addition to anyone's shelves.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Field guide to the historical sites of Kruger National P

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:32 pm

I bought my copy when I was in Kruger last December.
Very interesting

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Field Guide to the Historical Sites of the Kruger National Park. Ron Hopkins

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:23 am

What a delight to have stumbled across this book in the Skukuza shop.

I love history and try to find as much information on the history of Kruger as possible.

Many authors struggle with what to leave out and become tedious with detail. This is not the case with Ron Hopkins. His style is clear, entertaining and filled with information that brings the early saints and sinners of the lowveld to life.

Ron Hopkins places the historical sites in a broader social and political context, making this a well researched and fascinating book.

The book is self published and there were few copies left in the shop. The email contact details are windowalertsa@gmail.com.
The ISBN 978-0-620-57800-4.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Field Guide to the Historical Sites of the Kruger National Park. Ron Hopkins

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 am

MM this book sounds like a must have for me. Thank you. This sounds 8) :

Meandering Mouse wrote:His style is clear, entertaining and filled with information that brings the early saints and sinners of the lowveld to life.

:thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “Bookshelf”