What to do around Elephants

Moderator: RosemaryH

alf

Unread post by alf »

I'm sure the ellie got the shock of his life and ran like crazy to hide behind a bush :mrgreen:
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman »

Most people are scared of elephants.

I won't mention any names, but on our most recent trip I had a musketeer first asking, then begging then plainly coming down on me like a light tower blown over with TNT to please get the heck away from the elephants browsing next to the road. :lol:

I moved on slowly and stopped so that another very wary musketeer could take a picture of a baby elephant.

Getting bored after a while I decided that it was time for some fun and shouted: "Daar kom sy!!" (There she comes!!) and pretended to be battling to get the car into gear (it was in gear all the time with my foot on the clutch). The first musketeer in the back of the car was caught in two minds as to whether jump out of the car and run for his life or to commit suicide by slitting his throat with his empty beer can.

Whilst the second wary musketeer in the front seat next to me was trying to crawl into the cubbyhole. In his attempt to do so he managed to get the aircon on fullblast with his swinging arms.

It was quite a funny sight.

Jaco V and I had a good chuckle. :lol:

(Oops, I've given away a clue, haven't I? :twisted: Told you vaak boewe I would get you back for the countless mocking I had to undergo for having an angel sitting on my head and for not being allowed to bird properly, you lion hunters!. :twisted: )
Latest lifers (687): Racket-tailed Roller, Mottled Spinetail, Eurasian Curlew, Red Knot, Boulder Chat
Tumble Weed
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tumble Weed »

Why you should be VERY AFRAID of the Kruger ele's :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6L23l2xDGs

I think that ele had a good chuckle to himself!!
RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT »

:lol: :lol: think next stop for people in car was to change underwear. :lol: :lol:
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan »

Matthews most Elephants in Kruger are used to humans(vehicle's) and are quite relaxed and docile, but you do get some ellies who are very irritable and some males during must become aggresive too.

Just be cautious and keep the engine running when at a ellie sighting, untill you and the ellie is confident that nothing will happen... I have been in the middle of some huge breeding herds with litte calf's all over and they were very relaxed with me and then on the other hand back in March the bulls were very irritated(must) and I was charged a couple of times. Read the behaviour and signs and you will be 100%

Duke is known to wander around the area between crocodile bridge and lower sabie...Your best bet would be to drive the s28 gravel road as this is the road he is mostly spotted on....
Mathews

Re: fear of elephants

Unread post by Mathews »

:hmz:

Can anybody tell me how many ellies there +/- in KNP? Always wondered about that. I just spoke to my mum. She said my auntie was just in the Kruger and she thinks there are more ellies then normal? Is that true?
:huh:
The oldbokkie-exkiwi-newwallabey
In Croc Bridge 10 Jan - 14 Jan 2009
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

There are close on 14 000 elephants and the total is steadily increasing and is starting to strain the Krugers ecosystem . Human intervention by way of culling to control the numbers is due to be resumed shortly .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
ice

Unread post by ice »

in another park not managed by SAN we were once sitting in a safari vehicle, being prepped by the guide about the R & R...about 20 m away a young bull was munching away his dinner...nobody really payed attention to him, not even when he started to approach us...however, all of a sudden he was standing sideways to the truck and with one big turn of his head he drilled a whole into the canvas of the vehicle with one of his tusks...luckily nobody was sitting on this specific seat...I still have that encounter somewhere on video
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan »

We want to see that video Ice :shock:
ice

Unread post by ice »

well, why not...I still have a few minutes left before I'm off for work, so here it is, my first video share for this board

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=33tjn1c&s=4

mind you, the conversion from my personal DVD to a wmv file was done in a hurry and this clip also misses a look at the hole in the canvas, a shot we took the following day...last not least, in the future you may see video clips with better quality from me...at that time my own camera was broken and I had to use the more simple device of my wife...nevertheless: enjoy ;-)
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan »

Thank you Ice that was quite funny :lol:
ice

Unread post by ice »

actually, my wife was scared to death - and so were most of the other folks on the vehicle...not so the driver: afterwards he said that yes, he saw the passengers on the ride side of the truck move to the left (away from the elephant) but he thought they did so because they had seen something interesting on this other (left) side, he never thought it was because the elephant was approaching :D
Liesl Da Silva

Unread post by Liesl Da Silva »

My Aunt was also very scared of the elephants though they are her favourire animals. I bought her a cartoon postcard on her first visit showing an ellie sitting on a car and people and cars scattering and it read something like "how the animals control numbers or keep numbers down!" :D

Any way Aunt has been infected quite successfully with the KNP virus and love visiting! :clap:
Prevent extinction!
wildheart
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildheart »

Our Dec '06 visit at Shingwedzi was also a very adventurous one. :lol: We got lost on the Redrocks driving in the wrong direction (the new map-book we bought was wrong) and started running late for gate closing time. After scratching out the old map book and seeing where our mistake was, we started traveling back towards camp. That was when we encountered a whole family of elephants on both sides of the road. Now usually we do not attempt to pass in the middle, but this time we had no choice with the sun going down. :doh:

My SO slowly started driving and the ellies were not impressed. Image A few broke branches while the rest were staring at us. We didn’t know should we give foot or just carry on passing slowly in the middle. Slowly we carried on and as soon as we thought, Ok we are safe, then more ellies appeared on the sides. Image That was when my daughter looked back and saw a huge ellie chasing after us. Trumpetering and flapping ears in a cloud of dust. Again, give foot or carry on slowly with loads of ellies next to us, in front of us and one chasing behind us? Image
Believe it or not we carried on slowly, I think it was more a state of shock that made SO freeze.Image As we passed the last ellies that were in front of us all of us screamed: “DRIVE!!”, the ellie behind us were by this time meters away from our bumper…

Well we made it out safely although we were in shock for days after the ordeal. Image
Since then my SO refuse to pass an ellie on the side of the road, even in the South.
:wink:
richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris »

Those maps can be very misleading! Two years ago I went down a clearly marked loop on the river road south of Letaba. I was faced with a herd either side of the road but since none was actually right on the road side, decided to carry on. Always a bit tense doing this but all was OK. Imagine my feelings when the loop turned out to be a dead end after a kilometer or so, knowing that the herd might still be there. And they were!

Having said that, we should remind new visitors to the Park that, though great care should be taken around elephants, they are nearly always no problem. I can remember very clearly driving out of the Kanniedood hide, stopping to look at a bird, when a friend looked the other side of the car to see an elephant inches from the road, completely indifferent to our presence. Mind you we did not stay long!

Richard