What to do around Elephants

Moderator: RosemaryH

Tumble Weed
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: fear of elephants

Unread post by Tumble Weed »

Mmmh - dead ends and eles are not a good mix!

Especially if you're on the wrong side of the dead end! :big_eyes:
Tumble Weed
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tumble Weed »

I've had the odd grumpie ele down south. Had one charge us south of Satara as I was doing a 3-point turn to get a photo. The car was facing into a bush and I was just about to reverse when the ele charged.

Needless to say I went through the bush :shock: :lol:
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

I have heard from various bushwise KNP rangers that if you are first at a certain location , the elephants will generally avoid you .
These guys came up close to our campsite on the Crocodile river last Tuesday morning where I had the priviledge of camping with current and ex trails rangers at the Wilderness trails 30th anniversary event .
I was photographing them earlier away from the tents and vehicles suddenly some of them appeared around a bush from the "wrong" side and sauntered up close , seemingly unpeterbed by me . Had I have been alone I would have been petrified !
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
Mathews

Unread post by Mathews »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What more can I say then WWWOOOOOWWWW!!!!

This is amazing. I am wondering how I would have felt if I was there. I am sure I will look like this :shock: and this :shock: . As all know that had a browse through this topic is that I am @@##$%%% scared of the ellies, but even though I am scared i am also amazed by their beauty and their presense.

These are truely the most amazing pictures that I have seen. Well done.

OOOHHHH! And some interesting information on the 4th of October the battle at Kruger (from the vid on you tube) is being broadcasted on National geographic here in Australia. It is whole analyses of the whole battle with the lions and buff's and croc. I can not wait to see it. This weekend there is no time for sport on TV, hubby will have to wait!
The oldbokkie-exkiwi-newwallabey
In Croc Bridge 10 Jan - 14 Jan 2009
Zorro

Re: Fear of elephants

Unread post by Zorro »

Hallo to All....

I was just over 1 year old when I was introduced to the Kruger... And since never stopped going.... Yeah, the Ellies.... if you don't have some fear, you most probably don't have respect either for the silent giants... I can tell many a story of many a Ellie... but today I will share the one of last year.... Unfortunately I need to give some background....

We left early for Phabeni Gate.... Me, Dad and Mom..... Driving enjoying "our" piece of heaven.... The chat in car was about The Ozzie Crocodile Hunter who passed away the week earlier while doing what he loved so much (Irvin)... so the three of us deciced if we have to die, we would love doing it in "our" bush... Not tragically, just silently passing away next to a waterhole... you understand what I mean.....

We saw the youngster Ellie on the left, and immediately started looking for the family, as he was much to young to be alone... passed the Ellie slowly... and then all hell broke loose.... As if in Jurassic Park the bushes started moving from the right, about 100m infront of us.... They stopped in the middle of the road..Mommy and the elder two siblings... now juvenile is behind us... not good... never come between Mommy and her babies.....!!!!! Mommy gives one load Elle command, in such away that the 3 uf us are not uttering a word... The Volvo becomes to small for us as we bundle togeter in the middle....Juvenile responds instantly!!!!.... My poor elderly dad is listening to commands from two histerical women, we ended up completely of the road, youngster charging ears flat, trunk straignt ahead and trumpeting back to Mommy... He passed our now bush Volve within 1 meter from us.... In total shock, still not knowing what we did wrong, as we are seasoned travellers to the Kruger, the nerves turned into much relieved laughs.... and as the small group reunited infront of us... who passes... about 20m behind them.... a beautiful lioness...

Everything is starting to make sense to us now, so we assume their paths must have crossed.... We are in the clear laughing because, just there we actually thought we could die the way we would love to.... but the best was yet to come, as the Ellies rushed off into the bush we drove to find the lioness... and yes, there they were, yes THEY....she started calling them and they appeared out of nowhere.. 2 cubs.... so both the mothers were rushing towards their babies.....

Bottom line, we've been going there for years.... seen plenty Ellies, but never, never let you guard down.... Nature is unpredictable... Have respect, and you will enjoy the Mighty One's....

Greetings,
Zorro
Lower Sabi 24-26th April 2010 & BND 30th April - 1 May 2010
Mathews

Unread post by Mathews »

That is what my fear is... the unknown.

They look so peaceful at one moment and then all hell can break loose.

Anyway there have been very good information given to me in the topic, so I am sure that I will be alot more calm when I come across them.

he-he I told hubby to read this info over and over, so that he knows what to do with the ellies, but he said that if I put on my mouse suite they wount come near us!! :twisted:
The oldbokkie-exkiwi-newwallabey
In Croc Bridge 10 Jan - 14 Jan 2009
Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 »

Hi Mathews!

I'm am scared like hell of the big buggers! We've had a few mock charges, but nothing serious, probably because I never allow time to stick around and see if it's going to turn real! hehehehe

Don't go to Shingwedzi if you're so scared of them. We were there in June and it was horrible! The bush is so dense that 80% of the time we were surrounded by them and didn't even know it untill the tree nxt to us started going down and I hit the gass.... I was a nervous reck and beer was all that kept me at bay, hehehehehe!!

Here's a video you should watch, so glad it's not me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6L23l2xDGs

And this one, I would have been out of there in a heartbeat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFjAfGKhT30

Just enjoy your holiday and keep your eyes peeled, I saw a lot more lions when I was keeping watch for the ellies behind the bush, hehehehe!

Have a safe journey! :dance:
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...
Peter Betts

Unread post by Peter Betts »

Reading the last 2 posts from Australia about "hitting the gazz" and "getting out of there fast " .. in the presence of cheeky ellies

That is the last thing you do. When around ellies...Switch Off and look...they will soon get very bored with you as you are not doing what they want and you are showing them who is in charge as that is exactly what they want you to do and that is play on your "fear". The problem is you wheel spin away in a cloud of dust and noisy engine revs and you leave a wound up and excited elephant waiting for innocent Mr Joe Soap and his family who then have to deal with this unnecessarily excited ellie. The ellies at Shingwedzi are mostly bulls alone or in smallish bachelor groups and as such are just fine. You should rather warn your friend of the breeding herds along the Lower Sabie/Skukuza double highway. You always see broken rear lights and the odd number plate lying in the road where a herd had crossed earlier and a stroppy teenager had turned and faced the stream of cars and shook his head to mock them. Only to have the front parkers reverse like mad into folk behind...thats why I avoid that road like the plague not because of harmless elephants but to avoid the idiots that watch them or are stopped by ellies in their endless search for lions/leopards in that area.

Hope that helps Maddie88 and Mathews..go and enjoy Kruger in the knowledge that an Ellie is as harmless as an excited Koala Bear :D
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

I agree with that . Elephants and many other wild animals are used to the peace of the wilderness and elephants in particular seem to be easily upset by man or machine made noise , radiator cooling fans , or the booming noise of a car exhaust which is probably heard at a louder volume by them than man hears them at .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 »

I rather avoid ellies as much as I can, unless they are down below or I know I can get out of there in a flash without disturbing them, just in case.
One one occasion we went to Kruger, we were a combi full of people and after a very quite days drive, we reached a drinking hole and decided to pul over to watch all the animals drink (wildebeest and zebra and impala ect). Switched off the engine, stopped in the shade and made a nice cup of coffee taking in the scene on the left. Gran turned around to her right to find a massive elephant bull standing half a metre away from the combi (we could touch it) with his legs crossed smelling our coffee and staring at us! My heart stopped and dad very casually started the car and drove off very slow, as not to upset the huge animal. I think thats where my fear for them started!

Gorgeous animals they are and I do enjoy them very much, but from a safe distance.... :D

Thanks for all the tips guys and Mathews, ENJOY YOUR TRIP! Only a month to go or so.... :D
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...
Aniki

Unread post by Aniki »

We were driving from Skukuza early one morning going to Tshokwane still very early so nobody were there when I needed to go to the bathroom (funny the entrance always facing the bush.)

Going around the corner Elephant!!!!!!! lucky his back was towards me. I was sort of running/walking to the car so scared that he might hear me.

My husband had a grin on his face I could see when I told him it was a elephant because he knows my fear for elephants.

Okay quess what next day same time same place elephant again. But this time my husband went with me and this time the elephant was facing us.

I must say he was very calm maybee didn't even know we were there. But I was very very sure of him being there.
Elsa

Re: Elephant

Unread post by Elsa »

This ellie seen on the S1 Doispane Road in Feb this year with a huge rip in his ear.

ImageLarge
Take time each day to be with nature
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Elephant

Unread post by DuQues »

Ambush!

Thea123

Ellie Encounters!

Unread post by Thea123 »

We will be in Kruger in 10 days from our home in San Diego California.
I've watched the you tube videos and read all I can, but I need clear directions on what to do in our compact rental car if a disgruntled elephant charges.
What I have come up with is to keep our distance, watch if an ellie looks irritated, and if so back up before he charges.
Is this an okay strategy?
Also if we are in a charge situation, what should we do? :slap:
I would be so inclined to back up.
It seems from the you tube videos that lots of out of country tourists have no idea what they are doing....that of course will be us!! :redface:
Help would be appreciated.
Oh, and what side of the car to I tie the yellow ribbon?

Thea123
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Ellie Charges

Unread post by Goggo EJ »

Yellow ribbon on driver's door mirror!

Giving ellies space is wise.
Don't get in the middle of a herd if you can help it - if you do and cannot escape then best stay still, windows closed, engine off.

Try to avoid the reverse-chase scenario.
If an ellie is 'chasing' then rather turn round, go a different route, or wait a while back down the road out of sight of ellie and then move forward again.
Hopefully ellie will have moved off.

Enjoy your trip.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!