Using sightings groups/apps - good or bad?

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Your opinions on 'sightings' face book pages please

Unread post by Graham_5000 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark »

I think this type of knowledge sharing will only increase as the digital world makes our physical world smaller. :(

I don't mind "live blogging" my sightings and experiences on Facebook, but I do so on my page. Only friends can see it. I wouldn't broadcast to the world on a sightings page.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

KNP 2021 was a blast, so we're going back in 2022!
17 Oct. - Biyamiti
20 Oct. - Satara
23 Oct. - Olifants
26 Oct. - Lower Sabie
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

I tend to be a sloppy facebook user, so I have never posted sightings. I also don't rush after sightings, unless it is wild dogs at the end of the day.

The hassle of traffic jams is unpleasant. I would rather park my car away from everything an enjoy what the moment brings.

Interesting topic Pandl, and I hope you have an absolutely stunning trip to Kruger. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
billyf
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf »

Thats whats great about the Kgalagadi, once north of Twee Rivieren, no internet, no cell, and even no radio reception :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Guinea Pig »

billyf wrote:Thats whats great about the Kgalagadi, once north of Twee Rivieren, no internet, no cell, and even no radio reception :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:thumbs_up: I had to search for my phone when we could at last make contact with the outside world at Twee Rivieren. :lol: Peace and quiet.

On our last visit in Kruger, our guests were MIFFED that there was no cell reception! No matter what we said, they wouldn't listen. I don't know how much they missed because they were constantly looking at their phones, complaining about the lack of reception. :(
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Have you seen this you tube video... very profound. Its gone viral in a big way.

The sad side of social media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

I saw it yesterday at 11 million, it is now 25, 700, +++
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh »

As we enter any park the radio gets switched off as does the phone , We don't take a computer of any sort. Though if we do its just to down load photos we don't have internet access. We switch the phone on briefly every evening ( if we have reception )to SMS the family to let them know we are still around and they will then SMs us if there is any news . takes about 5 minutes.
At home I can never find the mobile phone and the land line hardly ever rings .. usually a wrong number
We go to the parks to relax and that's the way it will stay .
Mouse .. true very true !!
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

I am not a huge FB fan.
I have an account, but rarely check it. Maybe once a month?

But for those that are regulars.....it does seem contrary to the spirit of going to Kruger, or any wild place in SA. Or the world for that matter. Enjoy where you are. You can tell your friends about it when you get home.
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

So my question for all you lovely people please?........(as we are due to visit THIS SATURDAY :dance: :clap: :D for two weeks) is it very selfish of me not to put it on FB when I am there so I can keep sightings to myself :hmz:
In my opinion, no you are not being selfish at all.

Somehow, word does get around when there is a good sighting in the park - by the good 'old fashioned' way of sharing the excitement with passing cars on the road. But nothing beats coming across a sighting 'on one's own' in my opinion.

On our last trip in Feb/March, with the grass and bush so thick and lush, it was not easy to spot much game, and predator sightings were few and far between. There was a pride of lions for a while at the dam on the road between Satara and Orpen. We were stopped and told about them a number of times, even when we were up at Letaba :lol:
- Dalene
isinkwe
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe »

DinkyBird wrote:
Somehow, word does get around when there is a good sighting in the park - by the good 'old fashioned' way of sharing the excitement with passing cars on the road. But nothing beats coming across a sighting 'on one's own' in my opinion.

Image the proper way of Krugerparking

I don't even know how Bookface or what ever it is, works and I have no intention of finding out how it works eitherImage

When I get to the park, 1 SMS to let the family that we arrived safely and, then phone off, radio off, no newspapers,
When I am Krugerparking the world outside the fence does not exist Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:
Porridge

Unread post by Porridge »

Go north, young pandl, go north. Even if you're unfortunate enough to get a signal to post on drekface, it'll take them half a day to get to where you saw your sighting, and then they'll all get fined for leaving late. Poetic justice, I say ...
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

16/08/20 - 23/08/20 Punda
23/08/20 - 30/08/20 Tsendze
RogerFraser

Unread post by RogerFraser »

Having just had the opportunity to get 4 days in the park I have to admit before going I used the sightings pages to get an idea what was being seen and where but once in the park we made our own way and routes I always share sightings with passing cars but had the wind knocked out my sails and will adopt a more selfish attitude in future .
We had spent hours driving our favorite S128 for our favorite cheetahs and on the third day finally found them far off the road .
After some time they started to move towards the road and at the same time some people came down the road .
We explained to them there were cheetah far off on the move but they were in a small car and said they could not see anything so left as they drove off the passed on the sighting to a Thompsons tour jeep and another Guy arrived in a Prado so I shared with him the same information .
At that moment the group came out into the road in-front of us and before I could even move the gent in Prado rushed in-front and due to being so close to the group proceeded to herd them down the road .
Zig Zagging left and right preventing both the Thompsons jeep and myself from getting any view of the group .
By this time the Thompsons tour had radioed in the sighting .
After following the procession for about 2 km I finally managed to get alongside the Prado and was trying to get him to hold back when the Cheetahs darted into the brush .
Mr Prado then just drove off probably rushing to the next sighting .
Then the next Tompsons jeep arrived followed by a concerned person who got run off the road when the Thompsons tour jeep passed them at 70+ km an hour on the dirt .
Moral of the story next time I will keep my mouth shut and certainly not post any sightings online live .
Camping...

Always planning the next trip......
~ Nothing exists for itself alone, but only in relation to other forms of life ~ Charles Darwin
Porridge

Unread post by Porridge »

Mr Fraser speaks truth. Unless I'm dead, the only times you catch me down there are for a misguided forum meet, an SHR Indaba or the Cricket ....
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

16/08/20 - 23/08/20 Punda
23/08/20 - 30/08/20 Tsendze
Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Penny »

Amazing that tourists have no access to cell phone signal but jeep jockeys are still calling in sightings on their radios. We have broken down umpteen times in the park but have had to rely on other tourists going back to camps to send out help to us! It has sometimes been a long hot wait!!!!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN *** HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again
DSouter

Unread post by DSouter »

I thought that you were only allowed to use cell phones in camp therefore latest sightings and facebook are contravening SAN Parks regulations!

I never look at my phone in the park until back in camp and try and keep away from the crowds - I have often had great sighting a little way away from the maddening crowds.

We take great pleasure in finding our own sightings - otherwise it is like cheating on a test. :think: