Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Boslaaitie

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Unread post by Boslaaitie »

Good evening

Does somebody know when the official camping map is going to be released?
Would love to request a site for next year june.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Boslaaitjie, I am sure as soon as the map is released we will be sure to let you all have it here! :thumbs_up:
Take time each day to be with nature
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

I have a question regarding the BD3 units (marked BD5 on map).

Obviously they all have 3 single beds. Do they all have the pull-down bed (we won't be using it)? Which unit numbers have the stairs with an extra bed up on the gallery?? My granddaughter likes the look of that!! I remember them having the stairs, but wonder which ones still have them.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

None of them have the upstairs loft any more Hippotragus, they have all been converted into BD3's with the pull down bed option.
The map has not been updated yet.
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

Thanks, Elsa.

I did rather suspect that. We will just use the 3 single beds and leave the drop-down bed alone.
kellyee21

Unread post by kellyee21 »

I was just wondering if anyone has an update on the camping situation at Shingwedzi? I know when they first started demarcating the sites, there were some issues. Is it better now? I am going in May and the camping is sold out while I am there. I have a CK6PV site booked. I am hoping it is not going to be a hassle to get the perimeter site that I reserved. Is there some control on whether or not people are on the correct site type? Do you still pick your own site from the correct type once you arrive or are you assigned a site? Thanks for any input.
margief

Unread post by margief »

I was there in November & the campsite was very quiet so it is difficult to say but we didn't see any sign of monitoring that the correct campsite type was taken. I think it could be a problem at busy times. We were told to park where we liked!!!!

The campsite has been divided into a lot of sites & there doesn't really seem to be much logic in some numbering. I would hope at busy times that sites are allocated.

Sorry can't be of more help
mary312

Unread post by mary312 »

Any further clarification on the new sites and their numbering and monitoring? It would be rather annoying to pay for a perimeter site and then find they are all taken! Thanks!
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Mary, I have not yet seen an official camping map but did get the following response to a similar query in the past.

Visitors should note that they need to check in at reception prior to setting up camp as they are at risk to be moved from a perimeter site to a normal site if they did not pre-book accordingly.

If you read from This Post there are some good descriptions of the various sites and where they are situated plus a map from Google Earth that the one member did.
Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tobieo »

I have just made contact with Shingwedzi regarding the allocation of perimeter campsites like Tsendze but was informed it is still a first come basis. They further admitted that non perimeter campers take perimeter sites and it is a huge problem. Surely they can develop a system to address this problem e.g. simple sign to be displayed on your vehicle dashboard perimeter or normal camp site or something similar. Perhaps just walking through and asking to see reservation. A few campers forced to break up camp and move should spread the message quickly.

If not prepared to find a solution, then do not offer the perimeter at a higher rate and let it then be a free for all on fist come basis........
May 11 to 25 2020 KNP (Shingwedzi, Satara and LS) :wall: (Covid stopped)
July 2020 :wall: (Covid stopped)
Aug and Sep KNP, holding thumbs
Nov KTP holding thumbs :whistle:
Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tobieo »

Elsa wrote:If I had booked and paid for a perimeter site and arrived to find none available I would certainly go straight to reception where I'm sure it would be rectified even if those in the incorrect sites were made to break camp and move to a correct site.

So would I but I was informed they can not guarantee. Why not just a system that works?
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

This is the official response received from Shingwedzi camp and I thank them for that.

Guests who are booked in the campsite are given camping stickers that indicate whether they have a view site or not.
The only thing we are not doing is to allocate site numbers but guests with a view site can choose any site on the perimeter and guests without a view site are also informed not to camp at the fence.
Supervisors and Duty Managers monitor the campsite a few times a day to make sure people are booked where they are supposed to.
We have issues with guests who go and pitch tents before checking in but that is resolved locally
Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tobieo »

Thank you Elsa, it is just a pity that when I contacted them they did not tell me that.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Yes, but at least we now have the official stance on the procedure for this. :thumbs_up:
Francesco

Unread post by Francesco »

Driving from Johannesburg to Shingwedzi is it better to enter KNP at Phalaborwa or Punda Maria Gate? thanks for your help.