Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Cantona
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Unread post by Cantona »

Hi Francesco

We often visit Shingwedzi and have always entered the park via Phalaborwa gate and taken a leisurely drive up to Shingwedzi doing game viewing on route. Check-in time is from 14h00 so no rush to get there. I would definitely leave Jhb before the morning traffic though as a delay in traffic could put you under pressure to arrive at Shingwedzi in time depending on which season you have booked. If you leave Jhb at 5am you should reach the park by midday depending on how often you stop (Dullstroom has many nice breakfast places) If you take the H14 up to Mopani and then on to Shingwedzi you will not have to rush.

There are some bad potholes in certain areas between Dullstroom and Origstad at times so drive carefully. If I am not mistaken there are less toll fees on this route compared to the N1. You could also do the N1 and then head East across to Tzaneen and then Phalaborwa.

I have not done the Punda Maria entrance in many years so perhaps others may have a different opinion. Have a wonderful trip! :thumbs_up:
margief

Unread post by margief »

Last time I went in the Punda Gate it was very slow from Toyando as there are a lot of 60K/h through lots of little villages. Drive from Punda to Shingwedzi is not too bad. If coming from Gauteng I would prefer to use Phalaborwa gate. As said if leave about 0500 even going N4 & Dullstroom etc can be in Phalaborwa 1200-1300.
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

If you take the N1 to Polokwane there are 2 alternative routes to Shingwedzi.
Take the R81 - Giyani road as far as Mooketsi where the road splits:
1. turn left to Giyani and Malumuleke and carry on for about 20kms to a T-junction - you are now about 35kms from Punda Maria Gate. From the gate to Shingwedzi is approximately 75kms. The road is in a good condition but does have some speed humps between Malumuleke and the T-junction.
2. carry straight on to Modjajiskloof, Tzaneen, Gravelotte and Phalaborwa. It is about 130kms from Phalaborwa gate to Shingwedzi.

We live north of Pretoria and it is exactly 400kms from our house to Punda Camp using the Giyani route - Shingwedzi is about 475 kms. If we tow our caravan to Shingwedzi, we use the Phalaborwa route and do shopping and sleep over there. It is about about 530 kms from our house on that route.

Happy planning!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

SWEMBAD.JPG

Link to FB post.
aquila non capit muscas
Wildkyker

Unread post by Wildkyker »

Good day everyone

Any news regarding Shingwedzi camp?
All back to normal now?

Swimming pool working and in good order? Are we allowed to use the pool?
CK6PZ? I have booked but have no idea where it is? Camp map released?

Thanx
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Are we allowed to use the pool?
I believe the pools at this stage are closed to guests.
Wildkyker I am afraid I can't seem to find where they list the CK6PZ camping site is located, but as a guess I might assume it would be close to the ablution facilities, but that is a guess.
I just have a topic with some pics of the various camping sites Here

I might be an idea to give the camp a call and find out from them.

tel: +27 (0)13 735 6806/7
Duty Cellphone
cell: 082 889 4376
Take time each day to be with nature
margief

Unread post by margief »

I will be there in November & Have also been allocated a C6PZ site. first I was given a perimeter which I didn't want & asked for an ordinary camp site & was given this one although I am fit. However when I get there will see what it is like . I think there ar only 2 C6PZ campsites. Maybe it's because of reduced occupancy due to Covid Restrictions.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Margief, could you let us know which number it is and its location when you get get back unless Wildkyker finds out earlier.
it would really help and we could add it to the Accommodation topic that I linked to above. 8)
Wishing you a great visit. :thumbs_up:
margief

Unread post by margief »

Ok Elsa will do. I think the Z denotes for disabled so assume near ablutions. Must set a reminder on my phone otherwise I will forget - old age memory!!!!! :)
Wildkyker

Unread post by Wildkyker »

Good morning Elsa and Margief

Yes I have booked a CK6PZ for end October and I think the only explenation is that it is close to the ablutions or it might have a paved spot for the tent to stand on?
In regards to the swimming pool Elsa, are the really still closed? With picnic spots open there must be some sort of normal returning with summer?
And lastly may I ask if there is 50% occupation or is it full capacity yet?

Thanx
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

Hi Wildkyker and Margief

The CK6PZ sites are in front of the main ablution block. As you enter the camping area the ablution block is in front, on your left. You have to pass the block before turning left to the sites. As far as I know, the sites have not been properly demarcated yet - they were not when last there in October last year. If that is still the case - would strongly suggest that you pitch camp in the trees at the side of the ablution block. The 2 CK6PZ sites do not have much shade - 1 has none but "boasts" an electrical connection box more or less in the middle and the other has a solitary tree on the side. Unfortunately both sites are right in front of the laundry and could, therefore, become a bit busy/noisy when people use the washing machines and tumble driers!
Seeing how full Shingwedzi is at the moment - my gut feel says that it is very likely that they are still operating at 50% occupancy. However, no-one can confirm that is the case :twisted:

Have a good journey and enjoy your time in Shingwedzi!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

More info just received from friends who returned from Shingwedzi on Sunday.

1. Swimming pool is open.
2. Stands are numbered but not demarcated - some people camping across 2 stands!!
3. Camp ground was not full during their 10 day stay - they estimated maximum occupancy at 60%.

Hope this helps!
Benjamin Franklin
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Thanks for the further info PNF. :thumbs_up:
I think the camps are gradually phasing in things like pool openings and occupation numbers.
as some pools are open and others not, plus some are having maintenance completed.

But do enjoy your time at this special camp and area. 8)
margief

Unread post by margief »

Thanks PNF for the info. Hopefully when I get there & show I'm not disabled I can choose a site with more shade. I have no idea why they decided I should have a Z site when I asked for an ordinary one but it is too much hassel to change it again.
When I was last in Shingwedzi which was 2 years ago they had numbered & demarcated the sites but that doesn't mean that people pay attention to the demarcation!!!
Hope not too much rain next month.
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

You are right Margief - 2 years ago there were numbers and a sort of demarcation but now......most of the numbers are still visible but the demarcations are mainly covered with sand and dust and therefore no longer visible! Unfortunately the demarcations were mapped out with no consideration as to shade/position of electrical points/braai stands etc etc. One stand even has one of the kitchens taking up most of the space and another has its braai stand in the middle of a road!!! Have also seen some "interesting" make-shift camp sites - one even blocked off access to the Chemical Toilet Disposal area :roll: :shock:
Friends have said that they were given a stand number but couldn't find it anywhere - they ended up calculating roughly where it should be and parked there!
Benjamin Franklin