Logic behind Lettering and Numbering the Roads?

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Elsa

Re: Logic behind Lettering and Numbering the Roads?

Unread post by Elsa »

The H is from the word Hoof, which is Afrikaans for Main and I would guess S is secondary.
Not sure on the numbering part, but again guess they might have been in order they were built or as close to it.
Sure some of them were renumbered over the years.
Take time each day to be with nature
granny

Unread post by granny »

I always thought it meant H: Hard Road(tar) and S: sand road
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Elsa is spot on there.

Granny, it does work out that way for most roads, but not all of them.

The roads give a sense of the history of the development of the Park as the roads were given numbers as they were built. The road numbers might not give geographical logic, but it does give a develomental and historical sense of Kruger.

It also explains why some H roads, for instance the Voortrekker road are now in essense S roads and some S roads, such as the S1 (tarred road from Phabeni gate) are now pretty much H roads. That sounds Irish :roll:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
ice

Unread post by ice »

thanks for the explanations - I am a fan of history, too but I still think the roads should at least be re-numbered...if I read about about a new den found next to S xyz I usually struggle to find it on the map, unless of course it is well known road like the S100 or the S128
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I agree, Ice. It can be very confusing, particularly with the higher numbers.

Generaly roads S1 - 30 are southern Park.
Roads S33-S41 are central.
Roads S44-S58 is Mopani area.
Then beyond Punda is another world. This is S60-S64.

Beyond that is pot luck. Take your choice. S65 comes right down south again.
okie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie »

ice wrote:thanks for the explanations - I am a fan of history, .........

Please spare a thought for us old-timers who grew up with those names , and we had to learn to remember where they are . :doh:

Sounds very much like changing the names of towns , cities , and streets all over the country , just for the sake of changing :whistle:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I like the idea of using some of the older names. The Voortrekker road is of course pretty well known, but many of the roads do have names relating to their history or geography.

Some of the other known routes.

S1 Doispan road
S3 Albasini road

if I look at my Prime Origins guide, most roads have alternate names already.

S39 Timbavati River Road
S48 Tzendze loop
S63 Luvuvhu river loop.

and.. and.. and.. I cannot see one road that does not have a descriptive name. I think that we tend to be a bit lazy ourselves when writing. There is the expectation that others naturaly understand. This is not always the case.

There are groups and even apps that give indications of sightings. It should be standard there to give another description of location.
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Logical sequence

Unread post by Grantmissy »

I guess for a first time visitor to Kruger a map is essential as to recommend driving on all those H’s and S’s could be a bit confusing without a good map. Most of our favourite roads we just drive because we know them, some of the good one’s where we always have good sightings we have written our own names on the Kruger Map that we use.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

I still get a bit confused by the order of the H/S roads.

Especially when reading the Forum and I don't have a map with me. Someone says they saw a Leopard on the S65 (for eg). Is that South , Central, North?? :doh:

Would seem more logical for the Southern Section roads for eg to be S1 to S50. Central S51 to S100 and Northwern S101 to S150. By way of an example :hmz:
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

H= Hoofpad = Main Road.
S=Sekondere pad = Secondary Road.

In the early days all the roads were Sandpad (gravel)and just had a number allocated to it.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized *** and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.
Tieroog

Numbering of S-roads

Unread post by Tieroog »

I am sure someone has already asked this, but I can't find such topic. So here is my question: what's with the random numbers of the S-roads? They don't seem to follow a logical order?
Kgalagadi and Namibia next ...

:)
wachinda

Re: Origin of the Kruger dirt roads

Unread post by wachinda »

So much history in Kruger . Each dirt road has a unique story to tell. Sad that many of these stories have been lost over time. The 4x4 routes and lesser know dirt roads give one such a feeling of aloneness with nature .we try and avoid dirt roads wher at all possible except where longer distances between kamp needs to be covered
Berg-en-dal 18 October 2013
Satara 19-21 October 2013
Olifants 21-22 October
Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013
Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Joep Stevens »

Dear All,

Indeed a great topic started by DotDan more than 5 years ago with good comments from all. There is a fair amount of literature available on the origin of tourist roads in books such as "Neem uit die Verlede" by Dr U de V Pienaar 1990 recently translated to "Cameo from the Past" and also DR SCJ Joubert's 3 volume "The Kruger National Park - A history". Essentially creation of roads was influenced by various issues since the start of the Park. These include:

1. The Selati Railway certainly resulted in the creation of Skukuza (previously Sabi Bridge) and Crocodile Bridge and as a result the roads leading to these.
2. The old trade routes, such as what is referred to today as Voortrekker Road (H2-2), being the old trade route to Maputo (then Delagoa Bay).
3. The Recruitment stations in existence in the Park for black labour from Mocambique for SA mines played a cardinal role in many access roads. These stations were formalised in the early 1900's by TEBA (The Employment Bureau of Africa) previously WNLA (Witwatersrand Native Labour Association) and there were facilities at Pafuri, Makhuba's Location (now known as Letaba) and Isweni (now known as Nwanetsi). The Punda Maria Pafuri road for example runs more or less on the route and road built at that time for the transport on busses of recruits from Pafuri to the railway station at Soekmekaar.
4. Location of ranger stations. In most cases camps were created where rangers posts were in operation and ultimately as motorised transport became normal for visitors, the road networks were built connecting these to one another, the access gates and then to provide visitors with roads for game viewing.

Indeed, a lovely topic, and thanks to all for contributions.

Thank you.

JOEP STEVENS
General Manager: Tourism Operations
saraf

Unread post by saraf »

Thanks for the info Joep.

Are there are roads in the north that were used by the old ivory trail? I know Baobab Hill was a landmark on a route but does that trail still exist?
4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The big question IS....

Unread post by 4O4-5O4 »

I have a bottle of Amarula Cream up for grabs to the first person who can explain how the numbering of the Kruger roads came about (eg. the S113 joins the S23; the S130 joins the S137). This tells me that there is no sequential pattern or logic in the numbering system of the roads or am I mistaken?

It would be great if someone could explain how this road numbering system came about ...