WILD CARD RENEWAL

Everything you need to know about the Wild Card program.

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

okie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wildcard renewal problems

Unread post by okie »

I find it quite perplexing that one should so often see how people have problems in either obtaining membership of wildcard or to renew it , or to receive the card after applying for a new one. And that the same type of problems keep on recurring :doh:

I am also currently experiencing problems in renewing my wildcard . My card expired on 23rd March and when I go online to renew it , firstly I have to login , and then confirm all my details ( they have not changed ) . But one of the compulsory fields to complete is my passport number - this despite having verified and reverified my SA identity number . Then I am required to enter my partners ID number , but every time I submit it , somehow , somewhere it does not match with some unknown number somewhere on file :doh:

And the whole darn thing freezes up , and I have to start up all over again .

You know , last year , I had similar problems to renew my wildcard , and in the end , I just ignored the whole shambles , and purchased a new card without any further problems .

So , my question : Is that what we have to do every time when the wildcard expires ?
That is , should one then just buy a new one - seems rather stupid to me :doh:
But , if that needs to be done , so be it of course :hmz:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Wildcard renewal problems ? Better to buy a new one ....

Unread post by mizzbee »

forestgump wrote:I renewed mine when we checked in at Skukuza (KNP). Was very quick and a lot less frustrating than doing it online!

That is okay if you are going into the KNP. My card needs renewing and I want to use it at some of the Ezemvelo reserves before my Kruger visit in August. Can one renew one's card at one of the participating members?.
I also want to add two more children to my card.
I hope I am not going to experience further complications. :cry:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
okie

Unread post by okie »

I can only shake my head and also :wall:

This weekend , we went to Tankwa National Park , and , because my wildcard had expired , asked the nice ladies at reception to renew my card .

First of all , apparently the number of my wildcard was not valid , and the computer kept on rejecting it .
Then , the computer program " hung -up " .
After about 20 minutes , and many abortive attempts , I was eventually asked to pay the fee - R570 for a " all-clusters couple card " .
Got my receipt and hunky-dory , I should receive my usual confirmation by e.mail , which I got today , on my return home .

Guess what ?

It appears that a NEW CARD , with NEW NUMBER is to be issued , and some time in the future ( we know it takes forever :doh: ) , I will receive my new card in the post ----- This , all according to the e.mail received .

Does anyone at Sanparks Wildcard desk actually understand and know what they are doing :hmz:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
Scottm

Unread post by Scottm »

And what with the current level of postal theft and the ongoing postal strike, you should get your card about three days after it expires :dance:

I have found that the easiest method of attaining the benefits of a wild card is to apply for a new card on my annual pilgrimage to the Kruger, and keeping the paperwork in the cubby of my car, should I ever need the use of it at an alternate park during the year.
Things worked out well for me this time around. I did receive my card a few months before expiry. :clap:
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!
mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by mizzbee »

I gave up trying to renew my card and just bought a new one on line. I have my confirmation letter and hopefully I will receive my new card within 30 days from application as stated. :hmz:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
kwabo0802

Unread post by kwabo0802 »

enrico wrote:From the posts here it appears there is a world of difference between online and face to face.

My own experience of personally renewing my wildcard at the Knysna Sanparks office has been very good.
This was my second renewal.
Went from a single to a couples card without a hassle and even kept the same card and number.
All completed within a few minutes and my confirmation letter was in my inbox the same morning.

No help to those who cannot visit a Sanparks office themselves and I sympathise with your frustrations.

Go figure :hmz:

We are also experiencing problems renewing our wildcard. It is a good idea to renew when entering a park. Does anybody know if this can be done at Mapungubwe??? Buying a new one online still does not give us a card in time, and the confirmation is only valid for 30 days????????
saraf

Unread post by saraf »

You should be able to renew at Mapungubwe.

You should also be able to renew online, I'm not sure why you think you won't have time as if you are renewing you won't get a new one anyway.

I will check again the process for renewing online.
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

I have just renewed our Wild Card online, and updated our details. :thumbs_up:
Also bought a new one for our son. :dance:
All done in 10 minutes.................simple. :clap:

Now we really are ready to fly south!!! :dance: :dance:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller »

tent dweller wrote:We renewed our Wildcard over the telephone. We called 086 146 9453. We gave them our card number and then we gave them our credit card details and it was done. :shock: :shock:

Riaanf31, why don't you try what we did? :hmz:
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

We renewed ours in May at Marakele. When we checked last week on the website - it was not renewed! 1 e-mail and 1 phone call later............it got fixed. Would have expected that a renewal at a SANPark reception would have automatically been updated on the Wild Card website but apparently not............
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
Kenvil

Re: WILD CARD RENEWAL

Unread post by Kenvil »

i have renewed my card twice and to date not received a new card. Are wild cards still been issued?

Ken Viljoen.
saraf

Unread post by saraf »

Hi Ken,

You will only ever get one card now, regardless of how many times you renew. The card is personalised with your name.

If you did not get a card when you originally bought it (many people didn't, I know) please contact Wild Card (contact details can be found here) and they can arrange for a card to be sent. Many cards that were issued got returned because they could not be delivered.
HiltonP
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HiltonP »

saraf... Why do SANParks continue with the printing of Wildcards?

They serve no purpose whatsoever since the staff at the gate now use our printed letters and membership numbers.

I visited seven National Parks last year and none of them had working card readers. All the staff did was punch in our membership number on their keyboards and the computer told them whether we were registered and paid up.

Far better to save money and use it for something more useful, like saving the rhinos!... :)
saraf

Re: Need passport number to renew Wildcard

Unread post by saraf »

As far as I am aware as a South African citizen you have to provide either your SA ID number or your passport number.

I will pass your query onto the technical people to see if there is an error in the system.
kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Need passport number to renew Wildcard

Unread post by kite »

I had the same problem and had to supply my passport number to proceed.
When the website asked for partner's passport number, I did not have it to hand and decided to give up on renewal. At that stage I managed to proceed without his number!
Wildcard got renewed!