South African Meets 2011

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Spring meet at the cradle and special guests

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

So do I Salamanda :( but you are always welcome to pop in if you are in the area.

Here is my house.

close to this river.

We were listening to a Fish Eagle again while we sipped our tea. It is a birders delight.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: BB meets BB in CT - why not you also?

Unread post by Crested Val »

Anyone able to get there would be very welcome!!! :thumbs_up:
Or failing that, a quick meet at the airport when we arrive!! :dance:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

We had the pleasure of seeing MM's place, and my breath was removed time after time as I gasped at the beauty within which she lives! It was like driving entirely out of the city and being in the middle of a nature reserve; then I find out that it is indeed in the middle of a nature conservancy. How fantastic!

Seeing it in winter was lovely in itself, so I can only image what spring and summer will yield. Yet, I know that my imagination cannot do the place justice. Having the meet in September is a perfect time, with the summer birds arriving and the little animals spreading their wings, so to speak. The Crocodile River, and most especially the Jukskei, is delightful and lush, already now, and the nocturnal life in the area is phenomenal, especially considering MM's so close to the city.

Go along and support her at the meet - you will have a wonderful time! :D :D :D
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks OWN :thumbs_up:

This is the concervancy entrance, about 5kms from my house.

the road leading to "home".

and then, there are the special guests :hmz: a very active forum member and SO.
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Eagle Owl, it takes me 20 minutes to reach Harties on the Malibongwe road, that is the road going to Brits.

Hugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yesterday my daughter came for lunch. We then went for a walk seeing many different kinds of Bushchickens. My dogs picked up a Hare's scent and put up a good chase. Fortunately they did not catch it.

Later we sat drinking tea on my "stoep".

We saw, LBJ's
many Weavers
Pin tailed Wydah growing a tail
Crested Barbet
Black Collared Barbet
Indian Mynah.... only one
Brown Hooded Kingfisher
Buchells Coucal
Hadeha
Shrikes, many Shrikes
Go Away Birds

This morning I took my dogs for their morning walk as the sun was rising. It is my favourite time in Kruger, smelling the fresh morning, the clarity of the sweet bird song.. the sense of a new day, the promise of life...

Suddenly I heard a call of a Black Backed Jackal cut the air. It was less than 30 metres.. in the next door reserve. The air was then filled with the sound of Jackals answering the call through the valley. I got goosebumps.

This is the route of my morning walk next to the neighbouring reserve.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

GP 8) I look forward to that.

Elsa, I am looking forward to seeing my special guests. I know that a certain guest would love to see some forum faces from the G'teng area.

I took this photo before my :cam: went onto the unknown yonder. I thought at the time, "I am so looking forward to Spring, when the birds start nesting again". I can now see how so many birds at my bird feeder are turning into little yellow jobs that will soon be rebuilding.

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meet Crested Val in Melkbos

Unread post by p@m »

Crested Val arrives in Cape Town on Spring Day -- Sept 1st :lol:

They are here for one night only before they start their journey to KTP via WCNP.

How about meeting them for supper at the Silver Bay Spur in Melkbos ? About 6.30ish for 7.

Please let me know how many of you will be able to make it as I need to book :thumbs_up:
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Meet Crested Val in Melkbos

Unread post by Crested Val »

Really very excited to be meeting all you lovely peeps!!!
1 sleep till we leave home!!!!
1 sleep on the plane!!!
Then we will be back in our beloved South Africa!!! :dance:

Perhaps I'd better leave Richard at the guest house if he's going to be the only man!!! :whistle:
Only kidding!!! :thumbs_up:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thank you Anne Marie :D

I notice that this resident has returned, though the dam is very black and almost empty at the moment. I do hope that we get some rain.

A couple of days ago I saw an African Sacred Ibis close to this spot on my late afternoon walk with the dogs.
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Val and SO are here safe and sound! It was good to have a lovely chat with them.

Matthys, Val asked if you saw her waving like mad from the air as they flew over? She says for some reason the pilot refused to loop the plane :roll:
- Dalene
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Great time was had!

Nice to see some old forum friends and some new ones.

Crested Val & SO seemed to have a good time.

The rest of us did!
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scouter »

Lovely to meet Crested Val and her SO in person at long last after "meeting" so many times on the Forum :gflower: and to catch up again with other old friends .... Thank you p@m for organising this meet for us - it was a super evening ( despite the hurricane raging outside as we tried to leave :big_eyes: )

Wishing you a WONDERFUL trip CV and lots of special Kalahari sightings :thumbs_up:

Thanks from Socuter, SO and Elf ...
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...
Caracal
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal »

Caracal brought her camera

Caracal always has a camera stashed away somewhere :lol: but whether she remembers to use it or not is another story !!! :roll:

And last night I was no better than at any other meet !!!! :redface:

But first of all thanks to P@m for organising the meet :gflower: Also great to see you both again..pity we did not get to chat too much !!!
To Val and Richard..it was really super to meet you... :clap: :clap: and boy oh boy am I envious of your travels that you are about to embark on. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I do hope that the weather brightens up for you. Also a huge big thank you for taking my "Sanparks" baby blanket up to the KTP for me. :clap: :clap: I call it my "Sanparks" blanket because most of it was crocheted while visiting a SANPark. :D Safe travels further and I do hope that you have many a wonderful sighting in the KTP...I am sure you will enjoy your visit thoroughly. :)

To Scouter and family..thank you so much for the lift there...I am so pleased that I was not behind that wheel on the way home :shock: The fact that Scouter's SO almost took us home via the N1 is besides the point !!!! :wink:

To BB and Linda...great to see you both again and thanks for doing the sums. :thumbs_up:

And last but not least...to Rookie...also great to see you again...enjoy your upcoming trips !!!!

Actually there was a bit of animal behaviour...there seems to be live entertainment at the Spur nowadays....the staff treated us their version of a "line dance"

Down at the opposite end of the table I noticed Scouter and family having a good chinwag with BB and SO..it could only be about the upcoming Forum 4x4 trail in KTP. They were so lucky that they were sitting far away from me ..I could very well have told them to "shut up"....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: makes me say things like that sometimes :redface: Oh well..I am sure they are all going to have a wonderful time !!! :thumbs_up:

And of course all good things come to an end ........sometimes quite a pricy end but BB under the watchful eye of his SO :thumbs_up: did the sums.( thx Elf for the photo)

And as Scouter mentioned....the weather was putrid to say the least.
The wind was really obnoxious and the heavens opened just before we left ......

Well Cape Town might not be known for it's perfect weather....but something it is known for is that us CT 'mites" sure know how to get together and have a bit of fun..... :dance: :dance: :dance:
p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by p@m »

Thanks to Val and Richard for giving us an excuse to have a gettogether :thumbs_up:

And many thanks to the mites that braved the weather to get there. That part wasn't too bad -- only heavy rain and wind. But the gale and deluge which delayed our departure was something else :big_eyes:

Great pic of it Caracal :thumbs_up: Not the weather to be driving in.

Val and Richard -- enjoy the rest of your trip -- am quite sure you will -- and we wish you many fantastic sightings in KTP :thumbs_up:
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hugh arrives on Friday.

this is where she is staying and this is where I would love her to meet some mites.

it is about 10 minutes from Lanseria, so not at the end of the world at all.