Old photos of Kruger

Moderator: Crested Val

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Old photos of Kruger

Unread post by Rooies »

I don't think that it will be a problem. Just mention the author, publisher and other detail. After all you will be posting the photos on their own website and, you are not making money out of it. I would love to see the photos.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: As long as you quote the relevant acknowledgements for the source and authors, it should be perfectly okay to post pics. Unless there is a specific clause in the book to the contrary, which seldom is the case.

Looking very forward to these delightful old pics ... :dance: :dance:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by steamtrainfan »

Okey dokey here goes. I just cannot resist attaching these photos as for us "ou toppies" like myself they are an absolute treasure to behold. I can so remember these days as a 6 year old being totally fascinated by the camps, the guard with his spear at the gates, the fires burning from which you would go and fetch coal to cook your meal, the cars - sans airconditioning - that could fit a whole family of 5 in with ease and great comfort and so I could go on. My only hope is that the younger generation also enjoy looking back at they the way our beloved Kruger Park was.

These photos are from a book entitled " 60 years Kruger Park" and published by The National Park Board of Trustees of the Union of South Africa, Pretoria in 1958. The book was compiled by R L Labuschagne Liason Officer of the National Parks Board. The photographs are by W F Schack Photographer of the National Parks Board.

NUMBI GATE - ONE OF SIX ENTRANCES INTO THE PARK.
scan0049 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

THE PONTOON ACROSS THE OLIFANTS RIVER.

scan0054 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

VISITORS VIEWING THE ELEPHANTS AT THE LETABA REST CAMP.
scan0053 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

scan0055 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

THIS PICTURE HAS NO CAPTION BUT I THINK IT IS SKUKUZA RESTAURANT.
scan0056 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

PRETORIUSKOP REST CAMP
scan0057 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

PAFURI PICNIC SPOT
scan0058 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis »

:clap:
The photo of the ellie at Letaba brings back wonderful memories. I know exactly where that photo was taken. I remember those palm trees very well.
Did we really think the flimsy fence will protect us from a charging ellie. :huh:

Most of you (not you young ones :whistle: ) will remember the entrance to Letaba Camp when it was still a dirt road - the dip before the gate, the resident ellie used to hang around there chasing after VW Beetles, possibly the same one on the photo..

Thank you for posting steamtrainfan!
:clap:
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

Notice the wood fire at the day visitors section ?

That disappeared soon after 1985 , in fact when I was there for 10 days in August 1985 the road builders with their bulldozers could be heard approaching ...
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a fantastic find. Some more old photos of Kruger. Unfortunately I had not marked or labelled these photos at all but they were in an album with other photos from 1966 so I shall assume these are from +-1966. Please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to know.

This sign was very famous and I think the most photographed. Now if my memory serves me correctly it was on the Skukuza/Lower Sabie Road. But, if you look at the road in the back ground it is sand. Was this road a sand road in 1966?
scan0105 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

This look like it could be Skukuza Camp.
scan0106 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

This is Skukuza for sure as one can see the very famous clock tower.

scan0103 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Also, if memory serves me correctly, this was period of a major drought and we can remember seeing dead impala all over the show. I think after this we never visited the Kruger again until we moved to Nelspruit in 1980.

More photos later.
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The old entrance, and my personal favourite camp entrance at the time, but also with sand road.
scan0104 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Not sure what camp this was.
scan0107 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

I was very proud of this photo at the time as it had a lion and an impala.
scan0102 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Thats all for now. Maybe I can scratch up some more.
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD »

Hugh, such nice pics ... Thank you. I remember a trip to Satara in July 1980 where we stayed in those mobile homes. They were on the east side of the camp (and the back door opened up to a view of the old rubbish dump).
That last pic could only be Nkuhlu.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh »

Guessed correctly That picnic spot hasn't changed too much In those days it still had that old boiler thingy that warmed the water .and if you wanted to braai a nice big spadefull of coals was brought to you !!
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD »

And the heat from the morning fire was most welcome on nippy winter mornings. I wish to correct myself re the old Satara mobile homes, they were on the west side of the camp (I forgot the sun set in the west back then :wink: )

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
okie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie »

Bennievis wrote:@stf - I agree... what a beautiful little Alfa!

@ Livingstone,
Lovely photo of Mlondozi, last time I was there was in July 2010, it was chock'n block full of water.
(wonder how far that ellie on your photo is by now)

When we saw Mlondozi in September 1970 , there was only a small puddle of water , and a lonely ellie having a mud-bath . But the best was the hundreds of animals - impalas , zebras , wildebeest - coming down to drink , slowly approaching , approaching , then suddenly scattering and running away , before turning around , approaching again . Certainly a sight to see , and I will always remember :D
Nowadays , it contains a lot of water , and animals do not gather like that anymore - a pity :huh:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

Bat wrote:And another one from 1968 - the Kruger Tablets!

They just don't know how to paint cars these days, Bat: Kruger Tablets never looked more colourful! :lol: :clap:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
Pooh Bear
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pooh Bear »

Calling all Kruger Park “oldies”

The Midrand Region of the SANParks Honorary Rangers produced a 2011 calendar of “Kruger Park Memories” and it proved to be a highly successful fundraising project. We are now hard at work on the 2012 calendar but would like to include you, the loyal Kruger Park visitors….

Each month features an old picture and a bit of history about it. For the 2012 calendar we would like YOU to submit your personal memories and we will choose the 12 best photos and descriptions.

Please scan and email your photos to [email protected] . They need not be high resolution at this stage – when we have chosen the best photos we will contact the relevant parties and request originals or high res. attachments.

Please supply your name, address and phone number as well as the story behind each photo. Closing date is the end of May 2011. There is no limit to the number of photos you can submit, but please note SANParks may request that the photos be added to their archives.

Happy memories!
Midrand Region
SANParks Honorary Rangers
issi

Unread post by issi »

Hi Forumites,
My eyes are burning, read the whole thread, excellent!
I must say looking at some of the old photos... I think our mother all shopped at OK.
I recognise the clothes!
Please.. just a minute silence for our parents taking 5 children to Kruger.
Last edited by issi on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elzet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Elzet »

Spaniel wrote:Thanks for all the postings Forumites! A great thread and brings back the memories. I remember the old beds and matresses; the enamel wash basin and jug and the enamel chamber pot :whistle:

The enamel wash basin, jug and chamber pot ('koos') can still be found in Balule's chalets, Spaniel. :lol: :wink:

And of course, not all camps have electricity like stated above. Some of them still operate with gas.
“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t.” - Harvey MacKay