hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by hilda » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 pm

Dear Birders,
Please take note that this topic is regularly “cleaned” by moving the posts of a specific bird that has been positively ID-ed to the specific bird topic for all to use when trying to ID their bird sightings, and also to read all the interesting discussions about the birds while ID-ing them.
Should it be impossible for anybody to give a positive ID for a bird for some reason or another, it will be taken out, because it serves no purpose.
Go to Index to Birds Index to Birds and find the topic of the bird you are looking for.
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by hilda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 am

Johan van Rensburg, or any of our other bird experts, could you kindly answer Tessa G's question below? :D

Tessa G wrote:

Someone might like to answer this for me....

I have an old Newmans Birds of Kruger National Park and now the Roberts Birds of Kruger National Park and notice how many of the birds names have changed. To this novice, some of the names are so confusing....some Plovers are still Plovers, but others are now Lapwings! Also I saw a photo taken by Johan van Rensburg on his Balule Bash 2014 of a 'Wattled Flycatcher' - in my old book - but notice that it is now called a Black Throated Wattle Eye!!! :wall: Never heard of a Wattle Eye before. Sorry for rambling, but am curious as to why these re-naming, re-classifications have happened.
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:57 am

Hi Tessa (and Hilda).

The name changes happened in order to comply to international bird name standards.

As far as older books go. Lots have changed since their publications. More bird species were added, distribution maps were updated and even the text were revised. In extreme cases there have been splitting and lumping of species too. So all in all, it is definitely worth the money to buy yourself a latest edition. Or alternatively, you can always ask Father Christmas for one. :D

Alternatively, if you don't want a new book. You can always just familiarize yourself with the latest names here:

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by umtali1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 am

wildtuinman wrote:Hi Tessa (and Hilda).

The name changes happened in order to comply to international bird name standards.

As far as older books go. Lots have changed since their publications. More bird species were added, distribution maps were updated and even the text were revised. In extreme cases there have been splitting and lumping of species too. So all in all, it is definitely worth the money to buy yourself a latest edition. Or alternatively, you can always ask Father Christmas for one. :D

Alternatively, if you don't want a new book. You can always just familiarize yourself with the latest names here:

:thumbs_up: Hilda and Tessa G for raising this issue as it's all very confusing to us novices. :wall:
Thanks to Wildtuinman for the answer...........obvious I suppose :?
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm

wildtuinman wrote:Hi Tessa (and Hilda).

As far as older books go. Lots have changed since their publications. More bird species were added, distribution maps were updated and even the text were revised. In extreme cases there have been splitting and lumping of species too. So all in all, it is definitely worth the money to buy yourself a latest edition. Or alternatively, you can always ask Father Christmas for one.

Thank you for the explanation Wildtuinman! I hope Tessa G reads here soon! :clap: :clap:

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks Wildtuinman for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. I have had a long chat to Father Christmas and I believe one could be coming my way, in the big red sack! :dance:

I have bookmarked 'Index to Birds' which I am referring to a lot, until my new book arrives on Christmas Day :D

Thanks for your help with this Hilda.

Well we will just have to work a little harder at our quizzes I suppose Umtali 1 :lol:
Current TR: The Awakening of a Parched Kruger - Tessa & Dave Dec 2016/17
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 Days with Tessa & Dave - From Head to Tail DEC 2015

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:17 am

One can always look at the bird apps as well instead of buying a book. The benefit of this of course is that you will always have a handy source in your pocket no matter where you go and you have the calls of the birds as well. Very helpful indeed!
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 am

addictedToBirds wrote:
inyanga30 wrote:Someone needs to invent a photographic book only with male, female, juveniles, chicks, and eggs. Should be quite a small tome!

There is quite a good website which generally covers all phases. It is http://www.birdpics.co.za

I thought I'd share this with all birders. Thank you addictedToBirds! :thumbs_up:

gatita
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gatita » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:22 am

Seen in KTP on 24.11.2015 and 25.11.2015. Are all these lark-like buntings?

1. Grootkolk

2. Cubitje quap

3. Nossob

and this one a south african cliff swallow?

finally November 2016 has arrived :D

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:12 pm

This one has me puzzled :hmz: It looks to me like an ant-eating chat, but I saw it along Darling Hills Road, which I would have thought was out of range -- but then, birdies don't read field guides! Seen in late December 2015.

RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:46 am

gatita wrote:Seen in KTP on 24.11.2015 and 25.11.2015. Are all these lark-like buntings?

1. Grootkolk

2. Cubitje quap

3. Nossob

I think the birds seen at Grootkolk could be buntings, the bird at Cubitje quap maybe, but the black collar on the bird at Nossob has me confused.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 am

Saw this bird at Rietvlei yesterday - initially I thought it was a female or immature Wattled starling, but I am not sure, seems to reddish brown for a starling. Any ideas?

IMG_1186xxx.jpg

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:19 pm

A few more than I need some ID help for ...

1. Is this perhaps a little stint? Seen at Stranfontein (Cape Town) in late November 2014 -- and very far away, so much cropped

2. Is this a nonbreeding wattled starling? Seen in my garden in Darling in early December 2014

3. A warbler of some sort, but no idea which ... seen on the dam at the bottom of my garden in Darling in late December 2014

RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Arks, I also have warbler photos from yesterday - when I think of trying to ID them, I just want to shoot myself in the head. Afraid I cannot help you there.

Your little stint possibility - the legs look yellow, does a little stint not have dark legs? How big was it? I know there is a rather big size difference, but is it not perhaps a ruff? I may be complete wrong, but then I would also have learnt something.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Good question, Karin :hmz: Here's another photo of the same bird with a pied avocet. I suppose that it could be a ruff, but don't they have more orange legs?

And I totally agree with you about warblers being head bangers! :roll:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”