MATTHYS

Re: ELANDSBERG CAMP STATE

Unread post by MATTHYS »

I will ask for an update, thanks Xmarksthespot :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas
shfish

Unread post by shfish »

xmarksthespot wrote:@shfish - thank you for the advice on car hire. Will investigate the SUV 4x2 option based on this.

@matthys - thank you for following up on the building work. To help all customers it would be really great if sanparks could update their note about construction on the Tankwa accommodation availability page so that everyone knows the current status and can then make an informed decision and plan accordingly. I imagine that if visitors are seeking quiet and solitude and haven't seen this forum post they could be disappointed to turn up and find the building works still going on, with possible associated noise.

xmarksthespot, I suspect Sanparks would lose a lot of business if they had to purposefully advise potential visitors of construction work :? Construction doesn't happen quickly at SANP.
xmarksthespot

Unread post by xmarksthespot »

shfish wrote:xmarksthespot, I suspect Sanparks would lose a lot of business if they had to purposefully advise potential visitors of construction work :? Construction doesn't happen quickly at SANP.

@shfish, the point I am making is that I think the best policy would be for Sanparks communications to be accurate, honest and up to date. This, of course, is a good general rule in most circumstances, not just for Sanparks. I am a very regular visitor to South Africa from the UK and a huge supporter of the National Parks. I appreciate that their many beautiful remote locations are a blessing, but also a curse when it comes to building projects for example. Hence work does not always go to schedule. I accept that. As with most things however, it's how you deal with changes to plan, and communicate these changes, that makes the difference to those who might be affected.

I was planning to make my first visit to Tankwa next month (Feb 2017). However, it isn't helpful to currently have an out of date message on the Tankwa website saying "construction going on and due to complete in Nov 2016". Neither would it be helpful - as I think you imply @shfish - to say nothing, for fear of losing business. Saying nothing will mislead by creating false expectations and is definitely not a good practice for a business in the hospitality industry. In fact, much more business would be lost as a consequence.

I need to hire a vehicle when I visit South Africa. Tankwa requires at least an SUV, so I would have to pay more to hire a vehicle to get there and around but it would have felt worth it for the silence, solitude and stars. But if I had incurred the extra expense and turned up to find building works for up to 9 hours a day, 6 days a week, and not been forewarned, I would have been disappointed.... at best.

Although the advertised Tankwa email address rejected when I used it, thanks to the helpful folk at reservations I managed to track down the Tankwa duty manager by email. In her prompt reply to me today (24-Jan-17) she very helpfully writes:

"It is possible to drive in Tankwa with a sedan, but generally not advisable. You will need something with high ground clearance, and good all terrain tyres! The new cottages at Elandsberg are not completed, and the builders work from around 8h00 – 17h00 from Monday to Saturday. I hope this makes your planning a bit easier ".

I hope there are others - like me - who find her update extremely helpful and can make an informed decision. And I look forward to such helpful info appearing online, hopefully with some sort of revised anticipated end date in due course.
papop

Unread post by papop »

Thanks for update about Elandsberg's construction. I'll however be there in Feb, (15-16)) and hope to enjoy the place even so! Workers are not working after sunset, and the stars will be there with the silence as well.
Tankwa is a not easy place to include in a trip, as it is in the middle of nowhere. And a week around Cape Town was a good opportunity for us.
I have checked availabilities on our coming dates, and the park accommodations seem to be empty of guests!
I'll give a feed back about the camp on my return back home.
The great feeling to come back home every time I am in South Africa
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Thanks for the feedback/update, Xmarksthespot :gflower:

papop wrote:I'll give a feed back about the camp on my return back home.

Enjoy the silence and the stars :D and looking forward to your feedback, Papop.
aquila non capit muscas
shfish

Unread post by shfish »

Hi xmarksthespot

Please don't get me wrong.......I'm totally in agreement with your last post. I'm simply saying that Sanparks seems to think that it's fine to remain silent in these circumstances.
xmarksthespot

Unread post by xmarksthespot »

@shfish - thank you for explaining your view.

To be fair, SANPARKS weren't actually completely silent - given that they took the helpful and proactive step to put a notice on the website page for Elandsberg saying that there is construction work in progress. All they are "guilty" of is not following through by keeping this information up to date.

We have decided to give Elandsberg and Tankwa a miss this time round purely because of the construction work, but we will no doubt get there some time in the future as we really enjoy our visits to South Africa and its parks.
papop

Unread post by papop »

As promise, here is my feed-back from Elandsberg !
We stayed there for two nights (15-16 Feb) and we were the only guest!
Tankwa is on my advice, one of the jewel of South Africa, more and more than I was expecting...Peaceful, wild, immense...
The camp is just amazing. The view from the cottage has no limits and the colors of the landscape are changing all along the day.
We stayed in the family unit, which must be the most requested one as it is the only one. The unit is very well maintained and clean. Of course, walls under the paraffin lamps are a bit blackened, the floor is polished by the years, some doors are a bit hard to open... But this little house is full of charm and gets a deep soul.
Bedding is perfect, linen very comfortable and you get plenty clean and large towels as well as additional pillows and blankets. The freezer was so well working that we got a frozen bottle of wine!
The plunge pull was clean and we enjoyed it. (only a few bees and a lot of birds around).
Showering with the door open facing immensity was a must and candlelight dinner under the stars was magic and brings more solitude to this place.

Concerning the new units under construction, they are all almost completed and workers don't make any noise during the day as they are working inside. We visited one the new units. They look very similar to the old ones. the kitchen looks a bit bigger and there is electricity and fans .

And to finish, a special thank to the staff and rangers who are really friendly and helpful. We got stuck in a river bend, hopefully about 2 km from the camp, so we walked back to the camp, where we asked assistance to the workers. They didn't manage to move our cars out of the sand, so they informed the rangers at the reception that is about 20 km from the camp.
At 9:00 PM, the rangers came to meet us to reassure us that they'd be back next morning to help us. And they did.

If I get the chance to come back to Tankwa, I'll definitely ask for one of the old units!
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time there :D , thank you very much for the feed back, Papop :gflower:
Another :gflower: for the Tankwa staff and rangers.
aquila non capit muscas
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

I agree with you Matthys, great feedback!!

Thanks you for taking the time to share this with us papop :gflower: :gflower: I will pass your comments on to all concerned.

:thumbs_up: to Tankwa staff and rangers!!
Rose
papop

Unread post by papop »

Always happy to share great moments in SANParks! And sorry for my kitchen English :)
Gilbertr14

Location Tanqua G\house (FA8)

Unread post by Gilbertr14 »

Hello

Can anyone give me the exact location of this?
MATTHYS

Re: Location Tanqua G\house (FA8)

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Hello and please see Bush Baptist's 8) BB's maiden trip to Tanqua and the info in
this post , Gilbertr14.
aquila non capit muscas
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Tankwa Karoo NP/Elandsberg Cottages

Unread post by lion queen »

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Tankwa Karoo NP/Elandsberg Cottages