Golden Gate: Rhebok Hiking Trail

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate Park / rhebok hiking trail advice

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld »

The maps on the last 2 links from Son Godin are the map that we used, didn't have any problems with it (besides straying off the path now and then, which isn't too hard when there's plenty of ice lying around and the trail markers are white blazes)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

20, 21 Sep 2019: Berg-en-Dal
22, 23 Sep 2019: Skukuza

July 2020: Kgalagadi :D
mcmurdo

Unread post by mcmurdo »

dear all, sorry it took us a while to reply.

here is the absurd map that we got from the park reception http://picpaste.com/faulty_maps_rhebok_trail.jpg i hope the link works and i apologize for the bad quality. the picture was taken using an old mobile phone. on that map the rhebok trail seems to be only on the northern side of the road which cuts across the park. according to the map one must never cross the road, but stay on one side only. also, if one were to follow this map the trail even splits and needs to be walked back a bit on the start of the second day. (the lady at reception even marked the alleged hut with a cross using a pen - on the wrong site of the road and several kilometers away from where the hut actually is). to sum it up: that map is entirely ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

thank you for all your comments and responses!
Last edited by Elsa on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Map link no longer available
Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld »

Not sure why you got that map, that's the day hikes map - no wonder you were confused. Well done for getting the trail done with just that!

Check Son Godin's post above for images of the proper Rhebok map
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

20, 21 Sep 2019: Berg-en-Dal
22, 23 Sep 2019: Skukuza

July 2020: Kgalagadi :D
Jonkers

Ribbok/Rhebok trail Golden Gate

Unread post by Jonkers »

Question from my daughter:

I see there is an older tread about the Ribbok/Rhebok trail in Golden Gate National Park. Has someone done the trail more recently than 2013?
After speaking to someone at Golden Gate on the phone, he assured me I don’t need to book the trail in advance as long as I have a booking for somewhere in the park, but on the Sanparks website they are adamant you pre-book as the number of beds at the overnight hut is limited (which makes sense). I’ve also tried emailing, but no response. We’re planning to stay in Glen Reenen Camp site for 3 nights and would like to do the trail on the middle night, so we could also just book the day we arrive, but given that it is a long-weekend I want to make sure as we’re coming from far.
Any comments/tips/suggestions from a recent experience would be welcome

Thanks
Jonkers

Re: Ribbok/Rhebok trail Golden Gate

Unread post by Jonkers »

On behalf of my daughter:

To answer my own question…
You can book in advance via central reservations or via Golden Gate (although every time we tried to do that, the system was down). I would advise you to book in advance, as it seems the trail and hut are often booked out by hiking clubs.

Just some extra info on the hut itself. It was in a good condition and clean (with toilet paper and the classic sanpark hand soap supplied), but we unfortunately had no water. A sanparks truck did deliver water to the empty yoyo tank at about 5 or 6 in the afternoon, but this only lasted for one or two toilet flushes – which isn’t a lot if you’re sharing the hut with 8 people.
However, the hut is close to a stream, so we were able to get water there. I’m sure it was drinkable as is, but we added purifying drops just in case. The rest of the group had little gas-stoves so they just boiled the water before drinking.
There are two toilets, one shower (donkey style – but there were upright loose bricks on the shower floor so don’t think it intended to be used) so we just freshened up in the stream again. There are three different rooms with bunk beds (for six people each – all 18 beds had matrasses) and a kitchen-room. The kitchen has a sink and a little furnace, which some tried to get going but didn’t really work.
There is a fire place outside (wood supplied), which is at a great height for braaiing but not really designed to spread warmth afterwards, so we all ended up snug in our sleeping bags at 7pm.

The trail is wonderful, although it’s easy to get lost on eland-highways that look like trails and markings aren’t always as clear – especially because the map from Sanparks isn’t that helpful.
I found this website handy: https://solitaryecology.com/golden-gate ... bok-trail/ especially if you have a gps watch or other electronic toy the KML file may be useful.
We didn’t, so ended up getting lost, but still enjoyed ourselves!
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Thanks for the feedback Jonkers, sure it will be very useful for future reference. :clap:
Take time each day to be with nature
Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers »

pleasure Elsa

https://youtu.be/XyS1OmFEQNY

short video of the hut
willemspie

Can I hike the Rhebok trail solo ?

Unread post by willemspie »

I'm coming alone from Europe. I'm looking for trails that I'm a!lowed to hike solo.
What about the Rhebok trail in the Golden Gate NP ?
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Can I hike the Rhebok trail solo ?

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

A very warm welcome to you willemspie. :gflower:

The Rhebok trail is a reasonably pleasant trail with not too many difficulties. I am sure that you should be fine if you take all the necessary precautions. Be sure to notify someone when you leave and your expected time back.

Enjoy.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

Hi willemspie and welcome to the forums.

Here is some additional information by another member who has also done the trail, which might be of interest to you.

Thanks MM :gflower:
Rose
willemspie

How can I book the Rhebok trail ?

Unread post by willemspie »

On the SANParks website, I don't see any option to book the Rhebok trail. How can I book it from Europe (I don't really want to do it by phone) ?
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

willemspie enquire by emailing [email protected] :thumbs_up:
Rose