How did your love for Kruger start?

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: How did your love for Kruger start?

Unread post by bert »

Being 8
Waking up in Pretoriuskop and standing outside in my shorts during Easter watching the
mist disolve.
And the first drive hearing the zebra's and seeing them having playfull fights, kicking up a dust storm .
So my addiction started at a young age.
And being a bit older so my appreciated for Kruger keeps growing :thumbs_up:
Walloceros

Unread post by Walloceros »

Awesome reading! Evident that all it takes is to go there, Kruger will do the rest!

Myself? Went there more than half a century ago...
Why are the animals always on the webcams when I'm not?
jacks

Unread post by jacks »

Hi Forumites

Have been reading for ages but when I saw this topic I had to add my two cents worth . . . and so I have finally joined!

We immigrated from England in 1966 when I was eight and my father decided to tour S.A. in a Kombi .I remember sleeping outside Numbi gate and being second in at the gate in the morning We took the Numbi loop and almost immediately saw a pride of eight lions. . .I was hooked for life. Unfortunately, my father didn't feel the same way and my next visit was some 13 years later.

After that I was a regular visitor and ended up marrying a ranger and being fortunate enough to live there for six years. My son was born whilst I was living there and in turn is an addict ( and so is his girlfriend)

Will be there in two weeks time.
naomi

Unread post by naomi »

My love for KNP began as a child - through my parents. My father started going in the early 60's. He also became one of the first few Honorary Rangers for KNP. One of the rules was that you visit often - which suited my dad of course :lol: any excuse to go again and again. My dad would stop to watch a certain animal and then tell me all about the life of this animal (even the dung beetle). Camp life in those days were where friendships were formed. I just loved going from then on with them of course, as it was a time where I learned more about animals which I already had a love for. In my younger years I remember seeing the big tuskers (ou 'aftand') as we called him. Lions at Leeupan and surrounds were sometimes so many one got tired of seeing them. Impalas herds were so big - one could not tell where the herd starts and ends. Lots of zebra and blou wildebeest as well as baboons and giraffe were seen. Nowadays it is a far cry from those days. If you see 10 or 20 impala in a herd - it's a lot. When my parents passed, I have kept going and 'introduced' Kruger to my kids who now insist we go every year. They too love it. I'm hoping to be healthy and strong enough to still take my grand children. They live overseas but one day - I will also 'introduce' them to Kruger.
Wildlover

Unread post by Wildlover »

I was There from1 year old and then we moved to Nelspruit and ever sinc for 5years i went there 1 a month. I moved to joburg in grade 6 and only been there 1 avter that.
GRM all the way! We do it for the greater cause!
Dupacc
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dupacc »

How did my love for Kruger start?

Before my father passed away in 1973, he used to tell us stories about Jock of the Bushveld, animals and the Lowveld. Whenever we would visit family in the Lowveld, he would ask me to describe to him what I saw (my father was blind). After my dad passed away, we could not afford to visit the Lowveld and it was only when I started working in 1986 that we could go back to the places of precious childhood memories. Naturally the visits to the Lowveld then started to include visits to KNP and today KNP is very special to me.
It is where I find peace. It is where I look and see the things I described to my father so long ago. Where I take my family to be close to them in the same way as I was close to my dad. It is where I hear God speaking to me.

And whenever my office here in Gauteng becomes too small, there is always the forum and the webcam... :) :)
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria
EMMANUEL

Unread post by EMMANUEL »

Hello,

I am french and I have always dreamt to go to the Kruger park. In 2008, i had an amazing opportunity to be a safari guide in a private reserve near Hoedspruit. It was the experience of my life, and i could go in Kruger park twice a week. I have been nearly everywhere in the park and when i am there i feel at home. I have read South African Eden from Stevenson-Hamilton and took a passion to write the history of safari ( in french, but you can translate with google if you want to know more : [uhttp://afriquesauvage.canalblog.com/[/u]
After that wonderful experience, i went to Namibia for a month and half (10 000 km on self-drive), then in Kenya and Uganda for a 3 months safari (9000 km on self-drive).
After more than 30 parks and reserves visited, Kruger is still very special to me. I am going to discover South Africa and Botswana in two weeks, and i am curious to see if i will have the same excitement that i felt when i was in Kruger for the first time : to me, this park is undoubtedly the most interesting for game-drive in Africa with Etosha, Queen Elizabeth, Amboseli and Buffalo Springs/Samburu

Emmanuel
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

My So, Goggapot introduced me to the Kruger seven years ago. We’ve been going ever since only missed one year while she was pregnant with our daughter. She is now coming with this weekend, the 24 – 27 April. Our son of 5 can’t wait for Saturday morning.
My So can remember the kettles and big fires.
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies »

Lovely posts, thank you all :clap: Well, I grew up in a family that are all bush and camp lovers so when everybody headed for the coast during the December holidays we packed our camping gear and headed for Kommandodrift on the Vaal river where we spent 4 weeks camping.

But June/July was "wildtuin tyd" In those days there were no internet and all the modern stuff where you could make a booking. One had to fill in a form called "Application for Accommodation" and post that to the Parks Board in Pretoria. Every day my father went to the post box to see whether there was any news from the Board and when a letter eventually arrived, my father sounded as if he had discovered a pot of gold.

That same evening the planning started. Old maps were dusted off and routes planned. My mother started making lists of everything that we needed for the trip and worked out menu's for every day. With no TV in those years, evenings was spent looking at old photo albums with Kruger pictures and listening to a LP (before the 8 track tapes) which we bought in Kruger, I think was called "Klanke van die Bosveld" on which were recorded typical bushveld sounds. It started with the francolins early in the morning and took you through the day ending with the scops owl. I still have the LP record but no player.

Then a week before it was baking time. From buttermilk rusks to ginger cookies, from coffee cookies to hertzogies and everything was packed in a "koekblik", no tupperware in those days.

My mother was a Kruger fanatic and if she lived during the forum years, she would have been a Legendary VR. We never ever planned a trip without her, in fact the first time I went to Kruger without her was after she passed away when I turned 40.

Oh how I miss those years.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

louis dreyer wrote:My So can remember the kettles and big fires.

Those fires were big & hot - the picnic site attendants used to bring the coals to your braai site , if collecting coals yourself one felt suntanned thereafter .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
Sprocky

Unread post by Sprocky »

BTW :whistle:

Mine started when I did a school trip as a youngster in Std 4. When we went through the gate my love for KNP was born. :thumbs_up:
forestgump
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by forestgump »

When I was a toddler, I would visit Matopos, Zim, where a love of the bush was installed. Holidays were often spent on a lowveld farm bordering the Limpopo river . The mopani and baobab bushveld , were a place to wander around all day.
My first few trips to KNP , with parents , were to Punda Maria and Shingwedzi.
I only discovered the rest of the park when I left school.
12th to 18th Dec 2015 Berg n Dal
18th to 27th Dec Punda Maria
mposthumus

Unread post by mposthumus »

Rooies wrote:But June/July was "wildtuin tyd" In those days there were no internet and all the modern stuff where you could make a booking. One had to fill in a form called "Application for Accommodation" and post that to the Parks Board in Pretoria. Every day my father went to the post box to see whether there was any news from the Board and when a letter eventually arrived, my father sounded as if he had discovered a pot of gold.

I remember too. :D And you were not allowed to stay for more than 10 days at a time. :( Up until today I still remember our mailbox number and its for no other reason but checking the box several times a day for that confirmation letter!

Rooies wrote:listening to a LP (before the 8 track tapes) which we bought in Kruger, I think was called "Klanke van die Bosveld" on which were recorded typical bushveld sounds. It started with the francolins early in the morning and took you through the day ending with the scops owl. I still have the LP record but no player.

I'm sure, as with old slides/photos, one should be able to put it on a CD?! Maybe if you enquire at Top CD? We had the same LP but unfortunately I don't know what happend to it!!

Rooies wrote:Then a week before it was baking time. From buttermilk rusks to ginger cookies, from coffee cookies to hertzogies and everything was packed in a "koekblik", no tupperware in those days.

And the home made biltong and droe wors that was stacked in two pillowcases kept aside specially for this purpose.

Rooies wrote:My mother was a Kruger fanatic and if she lived during the forum years, she would have been a Legendary VR.

No doubt about that Rooies!! And realise how blessed we were, and still are!! :pray:

Thanks for sharing! :clap: :clap:
Mel@nie

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)
jomardl

Unread post by jomardl »

When I was in primary school, we lived in the US. I was obsessed with the idea of home and collected scores of books about Africa and wildlife. I convinced my father to take us to Kruger on holiday in 1985. I was ten years old and it was the greatest week of my life.

I only returned to Kruger again in 2007. Can't believe it took me so long. From now on I am aiming for every year.
Kruger 22 - 28 October
Kgalagadi 13 - 20 April 2012
smartiepants

Unread post by smartiepants »

My love for the park - started when my brother moved to SA from England, about 30+ years ago. My SO and I first started visiting him in Joburg - in about 1987. We managed to visit a number of times - over the next 20 years, and so began the fascination with our beloved Kruger.

We are lucky enough now, to live in this amazing country ourselves, and are able to make the journey - about 3 times a year. With every trip - we grow to love it more, and consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to visit this amazing destination, as often as we do. If we were closer - we would love nothing more, than to make the trip, more often. Maybe one day......

Next visit - in just over 3 weeks, and counting.

Smartiepants