South African Meets 2010

Eagle Owl

South African Meets 2010

Unread post by Eagle Owl »

Thanks Inyati and SO for a lovely braai at your place on Saturday. We really had a good time chit chatting on anything and everything. All the experiences that was shared was hilarious. We should really make a point of getting together in the Krugerpark as well. :thumbs_up: And you make a lovely couple. :wink:

The attendees at the braai was: Aqua5 :shock: I already love her to bits!
Cracked :hmz: apparently she was part of
the Ratpack.
Wild Dreamer and SO :evil: WD made me eat Jag
Eagle Owl and SO :| being ourselves
Snowzee via cell phone.... :mrgreen:
Inyati's parents :) don't talk rugby around them!! :whistle:

Obviousely one thing every one had in common was loving the bush and the animals which made this braai one huge success.

Thanx again Inyati and SO. :thumbs_up:
Wild Dreamer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Pond Watch Mini Meet in Boksburg

Unread post by Wild Dreamer »

It was really very, very enjoyable! It was hard to go when evening fell.
The food was topclass, including the BILTONG!
The participants _ well, where in the world do you get such nice people like a bunch of nature lovers thrown together?!
Eish, it was good! SO enjoyed himself to pieces!
Thank you, Inyati and InyatiSO! You are the excellent host and hostess, and you have a lovely place!
Aqua, Cracked, Eagle Owl and all the others, SO's and what not, and Snow Zee per cell, thanks for a memorable day!
Eagle Owl

Unread post by Eagle Owl »

Ok, so here are the pics. We will not post who's who though. Maybe every one can have a guess and the one that is correct with all will win a weekend with expenses paid in...Lower Sabie... :hmz:

Just kidding!

DANKBAAR
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DANKBAAR »

Dunk her a few times in Satara pond, that green liquid is great for anything and everything. In no time she'll be back to her young self again.

I have no idea how any of you look but I'm going to try. Please tell me where I totally lost it.

1. Inyati & SO
2. Eagle Eye & SO
3. Eagle Eye, Inyati's mother, Wild Dreamer, Aqua 5
4. Aqua 5
5. Wild Dreamer's SO and Inyati's father

If I'm wrong I do apologize. :redface:
SPRINGBOK AND PROTEA SUPPORTER FOR EVER
pantera leo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Gauteng, Rietvlei Meet September 2010

Unread post by pantera leo »

Hi everyone, I'm in Gauteng for the first two weeks of September and thought it would be really great to see a couple of Mites while in the vicinity.

I'm not sure about the dates yet but where thinking of a day in any of the 3-5 Sep or 10-12 Sep weekends at Rietvlei.
Hope to see plenty of you all there.

Would love to have some input here, thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!! :thumbs_up:
Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng, Rietvlei Meet September 2010

Unread post by Mads »

I am in!! I know Rietvlei very well. Any info needed, ask me please!! Birding is quite good!! Although it is winter we counted 90 species at Rietvlei 2 weeks ago!! Look out for the cheetahs, buffalo, oh yes you can also go on a tour to the lion camp.

I have another suggestion.. If we get 10 people to go on the night drive we could get a lapa and kuier untill late that night. I will find out tomorrow the tariffs and if the night drive for that evening is still available... Let me know what you think...

Night drives could in clude aardvark, aardwolf, brown hyena, serval, porcupine, marsh owl, grass owl, etc.
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther
Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mads »

Hi Guys!!

Sorry that I have not answered you!! Unfortunately Rietvlei has only 2 vehicles. :wall: but lets see who we can get on. The one vehicle is slightly bigger than the other.

Okay so we have:

JenB 3 px
WendyA 1 px
Vlakvarkvrou 3 px
Wishforlions 3 px
Bushmom 2 px
Steamtrainfan 2 px
Johan N 6 px
MM 1 px

Sorry Mellory!! :( If you dont mind that it is so late and there are more mites... I can do another trip after 8... Let me know... or otherwise we can book another date??? Let me know.
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther
Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mads »

Shi! We hope to see you there.... :pray:

Thanks WendyA and MM!

I have the whole day available... I am not sure if there are some of the Mites that would like to make it a day visit to Rietvlei.

This is a suggestion:That means we go in with our own cars (maybe we can share a few cars) early morning, do some birding, wildlife and photographic moments... (the buff is normally out early morning) then go and have brunch....and kuier, after brunch we can maybe do a lion camp tour (R40pp), and then we can braai and do the night drive.

For those that cannot make the whole day how does that sound?? :hmz:

The lion tour is just an idee and can move... or be removed... or some can do it and others can go for a drive... It is the best is to do it first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon... other wise they do what lions do best..... :doh:

Every thing is flexible and let me know... what are your ideas... :thumbs_up:
Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mads »

Hi there!!

It seems less than 2 weeks away from our meet!! Things are finally coming together! :mrgreen:

Any one is more to welcome to join, even if you just pitch up!! :thumbs_up: Kathy SA you are more than welcome!

Chirinda it seems that there are a few of our mad people that will start the morning at 05:30. :huh: Then we will have brunch together at 11:00 at the picnic area. Then we will kuier and by 16:00 we will pack up and move to the lapa for those that booked the night drive... So the day is really flexible...

It seems that most people would like to bring their own side dishes for the braai and also for the brunch.

If you feel like bringing more than for yourself... you are welcome! We will make a table for those extras...

I am looking forward to see you all!! :cam:
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB »

Hi all ye meeters and greeters!
It was great meeting you all! :dance: Sorry about the ones we missed but duty was calling loudly all day.

Thanx Mads for arranging things so well, you are truly a :littleangel: ! Another thanx to the guides on "our" vehicle! :clap:
Beeeeg thanx to Tskududu and co who made sure we returned to a lovely warm fire after the drive! :clap:

Thanx to MM and her wish list! :dance:
We saw cheetah, serval, porcupine, many rabbits and many jackals. :D
So there.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: are in order! :lol:

Last but not least: Thanx to everyone for making this meet, particularly all the newer members! It was great putting a face behind a name. :thumbs_up:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Flutterby »

Some more pics.

Mads at the lion enclosure

WendyA, Valkvarkvrou, my Dad

Bokkiebird & Bush Brat

Holigan & Bush Brat with Mads at the back

Mads & Mellory
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

I am back with some very sore legs. I did a run at the zoo this morning.

Firstly a very big thank you to Panthera Leo for his organising. My only sadness and it is a big sadness, is that I missed you. :cry: :cry: I was stuck on the Ben Schoeman at Allandale for almost 2 hours. I cannot express what a disappointment that was. I will have to travel for a Bloemfontein meet to make up. :thumbs_up:

Because of the traffic jam, there was another delay trying to find a shop en route selling Panado for the subsequent migraine. :shock:

Another thank you is to Mads :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
What a star. Mads, you made us all feel so at home. I loved the night drive and thank you soooooooo much for arranging the Cheetah, Serval.. I knew you could, and Porcupine. The first time I have seen Porcupine.

Next time see if you can find us a Puffie to go with the Serval :wink:

I was also soooo grateful for the Reedbuck, Eland, Hartebeest, Zebbies, Jackal... lots of Jackal, Steenbokkies, Duikertjies, all 700 Blesbok, Springbok.. Springbok spinging nogal... and the many, many flying dinguses.. we even had barking dogs 8)

Thank you also for organising the most perfect moon with Venus, or was it Saturn :hmz: rising.

I loved seeing all the old faces... figuratively old, of course.. and how wonderful to see some new mites join with such enthusiasm.

Lovely to see Sue again and hear about how her life is going.

I am just sorry that I arrived as many were leaving. :(
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Mellory
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mellory »

We got off to a rather cold over cast start and were rewarded with a herd of buffalo and a very very tiny calf they appear to be a lot smallet than the KNP buffs and their horns are also thinner and pointier my daughter says they are probably forest buffs?

We also saw the *** mom dad and calf my sister who came with us cried bitterly to see them dehorned it is very distressing to see but we know it is for their safety terrible that the poaching that is so rife has resulted in us having to resort to these measures to protect them!!!

jungle jenny

Unread post by jungle jenny »

Thank you Mads for a wonderful event yesterday. As I am a fairly new member it was nice to meet the people behind the user names.

MM I just loved your chair!!!! If you don't mind...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: .

I should have stayed longer!!!!!
Last edited by jungle jenny on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jungle jenny

Unread post by jungle jenny »