Bontebok NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Lennie Senior

Re: BONTEBOK

Unread post by Lennie Senior »

Hi Stoffel

No, the road is only tarred from the entrance gate to the Reception office. From the Reception office to the camp site is a gravel road, about the same distance as from the old Reception office to the camp site. I guess the distance from the new entrance gate to the new Reception office is 2km tar and then another 5km gravel road the camp site.

Len
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks »

Lennie Senior wrote:No, the road is only tarred from the entrance gate to the Reception office.

Thank goodness for that! Having a tar road all the way to the camp :roll: would be a HUGE mistake IMO and would very much detract from the simple and rustic appeal of this lovely park. I suppose a tar road makes travel easier with a caravan, but I'd hope that most visitors would far prefer the gravel roads. IMO a tar road would only encourage speeding, which would have an adverse impact for those of us who enjoy birding and plantlife. Bontebok is one of the few places where I've been able to sit and watch small birds without traffic inevitably whizzing by and putting the bird(s) to flight :twisted: :roll:

Why is it that in so many parks drivers don't even bother to slow when a stopped car is obviously looking at something?!? :roll: :twisted:
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Munchkin »

:thumbs_up: I support Arks on the gravel travel option - please Bontebok NP - don't tar any more than is necessary - with apologies to those with caravans etc....!
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Bontebok »

Hi there

The following is the response from Carli Venter, Park Manager at Bontebok National Park.

"Unfortunately we have encountered unforeseen delays in the actual commissioning of our new entrance gate and access road, it relates to the use of our new proposed turnoff from the N2. We are currently investigating various options and alternatives. As sad as it is, we must be realistic about the matter and acknowledge that we will not be opening the new entrance gate in 2010. Also as a point of clarity, only the section from the new gate to the new reception (approximately 600 meters) is tarred, as well as a tricky down hill section to Die Stroom (also approximately 500 meters), the gravel road between the rest camp and the new entrance (which was damaged during the 2008 flood) was upgraded last year.

We have in the meantime budgeted for some further repair and upgrade work on the gravel road between the existing reception building and the rest camp, we hope to have this done prior to our peak summer months. I can also mention that the existing gravel road between the N2 and the Park is relatively well maintained in recent months, with the provincial roads’ grader making a few visits.

Our upgraded day visitors area (Die Stroom) and new Conference room (at our new reception building) will in the meantime be available for groups to rent shortly. In such cases we will accommodate these groups by granting them access via the new gate – this will minimize their traveling time through the park to the venue significantly. Die Stroom should be able to comfortable seat 30 people on the wooden deck, with use of the built in braai and fully equipped kitchen as further rental options – it is ideal for birthday parties, year end functions, etc. The conference facility can seat 25 – 40 people (depending on seating configuration) and will also have a fully equipped kitchen."
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

Dear All

The following is the response from Carli Venter, Park Manager at Bontebok:

"Unfortunately we have encountered unforeseen delays in the actual commissioning of our new entrance gate and access road, it relates to the use of our new proposed turnoff from the N2. We are currently investigating various options and alternatives. As sad as it is, we must be realistic about the matter and acknowledge that we will not be opening the new entrance gate in 2010. Also as a point of clarity, only the section from the new gate to the new reception (approximately 600 meters) is tarred, as well as a tricky down hill section to Die Stroom (also approximately 500 meters), the gravel road between the rest camp and the new entrance (which was damaged during the 2008 flood) was upgraded last year.

We have in the meantime budgeted for some further repair and upgrade work on the gravel road between the existing reception building and the rest camp, we hope to have this done prior to our peak summer months. I can also mention that the existing gravel road between the N2 and the Park is relatively well maintained in recent months, with the provincial roads’ grader making a few visits.

Our upgraded day visitors area (Die Stroom) and new Conference room (at our new reception building) will in the meantime be available for groups to rent shortly. In such cases we will accommodate these groups by granting them access via the new gate – this will minimize their traveling time through the park to the venue significantly. Die Stroom should be able to comfortable seat 30 people on the wooden deck, with use of the built in braai and fully equipped kitchen as further rental options – it is ideal for birthday parties, year end functions, etc. The conference facility can seat 25 – 40 people (depending on seating configuration) and will also have a fully equipped kitchen.
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

Soon :wink:

Our Aloe Ferox are starting to bloom - within a few weeks the spectacle of orange-red flowers against our blue sky, framed by the Breede River and Langeberg Mountains await visitors to this special piece of paradise. Never Fear - our winters are quite bearable (Some even call this our "Secret Season") :whistle:
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

What is Green; Blue; Orange? :?

The sight of Aloe Ferox in full bloom against the backdrop of the green grass of Langelsieskraal and the blue winter sky! :lol:

No where else will you be able to see it like this (And then there is still the Beautiful Breede River to boot ...)

Soon the whole Aloe Hill will be ablaze with its namesake flower.

Come, Take pictures and leave with lovely memories :cam:
Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta »

This is what I call publicity, that could convince me :wink: Unfortunately it is a bit far to come and spend a week end :wall: It must be a wonderful spectacle :D
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

Micetta

To describe the beauty of this small park - words are not nearly enough! You have to be here to experience the magic of this small Wonderland :)

It have a special quality about it. :whistle:
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

Don't tell anyone :wink:

Aloe time in Bontebok is driving birds! It almost look as if their whole life is one big feeding frenzy! :roll:

You must see it to believe it!
Bontebok
Guru
Guru

The Park is absolutely beautiful at present; Lots of flowers, birds displaying and the first Bontebok calves arriving!
doedsie

Unread post by doedsie »

Was in Bontebok this weekend. Camp was very full but what a pleasure! It really is a wonderful getaway. Very sorry I did not take at least on more day's leave! Too late now. Missed the aloes of course, but one can't have it all.
jacquespienaar

Unread post by jacquespienaar »

Hi all

We are going to camp at Bontebok for the first time from 16-19 December and I can't wait after reading all the nice reports. Could someone tell me how far the sites with electricity are from the ones without electricity. I'm thinking of getting some family to join us but I took the last electricity site for the Friday.

Jacques
Jacques Pienaar
http://campingwithusinsouthafrica.wordpress.com/
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Hi Jacques,

I just spoke to the lady at Bontebok's reception (028 514 2735) and she says that campsites 1-20 are those with electricity and from 21 onwards are those without. So, not faraway :D .

Happy camping :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

AFAIR JP, the ones with electricity are on the 'outside' of the ring road around the campsite and the ones without are on the 'inside', so with a bit of luck your tribe could park opposite you.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle