Google Earth - KNP from the SKY!!

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: KNP from the SKY!!

Unread post by johanrebel »

Nungu wrote:I've tried but can't get the landing right... alot more practice needed I think
I've landed (as a passenger) at Pafuri airstrip a number of times. It is not the trickiest of bush strips (try e.g. Leopard Rock for that), but SANParks noise abatement procedures specify a rather complicated let-down with numerous waypoints, followed by a landing in a southerly direction, i.e. on slight downslope (some 10 m in altitude along its 1300 m lenght). Departures should for the same reason be towards the north (SANParks want to minimize noise on their side of the Luvuvhu). Go-arounds are interesting, because you make a bit of a loop around Koorsboomvlei, a hidden gem. Driving along the tar road to the Pafuri border post, or along the Luvuvhu to Crooks' you would never even know it exists, yet it is located right between the two!

Johan
Nungu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: KNP from the SKY!!

Unread post by Nungu »

Thanks for all the good wishes and welcome to all the new faces. I'm glad to see that there are some more people finding this thread and also enjoying it.

As promised, on our "Trek South", here's the next place of interest:

Magamba Waterhole
(GPS: 22°46'08.19”S 31°11'34.38”E)

The Magamba waterhole is just south of the S58 turnoff on the main tar road (H1-7) towards Babalala. Magamba is the Swahili word meaning “shells”. Some sources believe that this refers to tortoise shells. In the Shona language Magamba means “Heroes” but there are no references to indicate that the Shona version gives this waterhole its name.
Have you seen KNP from the SKY yet??

Member No. 15342
-----------------------
African Lynx

Google Maps Street View of KNP

Unread post by African Lynx »

Hi All,

Mods remove this thread if you deem it to be endorsement of a rival product, but I thought I would just bring to the mites attention "Street View" from Google Maps. Its a facility that allows you to view most of the Krugers roads as if you were driving them. I was at Tsitsikamma in December 2009 and my camping site is now on their "Street View" of the camping site.

I was also wondering if anyone had seen anything exciting on the street view pictures? If you have, let us know what and where.

It also gives 1st timers a taste of what is to come for them in the park. A great idea if you ask me!!!
African Lynx

Re: Google Maps Street View of KNP

As of yesterday afternoon I was one of the uninitiated.
Ok, I will try and explain as best as I can.

You need to go to http://maps.google.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Firstly make sure that you have Google Earth loaded onto you pc/laptop.
Make sure that your screen is in "Map" mode, makes it easier to find what you looking for.
Once there zoom into one of the following camps, Skukuza, Lower Sabi, Croc Bridge or Pretoriuskop.
Once you have zoomed in, on the left hand top corner of the MAP screen there should be a zoom scale and above that a little orange man.
Drag the orange man to the map and wherever there is "street view" the roads will turn blue.
When the screen loads you can use the navigation tool in the top left hand corner of the view screen to rotate the view.
Hope this helps.

Enjoy
Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Weltenman »

I found the street view in Google Earth itself, on the left hand side with all the Layers menu's, there is a Street View little yellow man. If you zoom in there will be a camera that you can click, and you will have the street view.

I love it...gonna look for all the places I know now...there goes my afternoon plans... :D
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt »

If you use the UK website then you can do it all on-line without installing Google earth.
http://maps.google.co.uk

Its an amazing achievement what they have done round the world.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
Nungu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nungu »

joshilewis wrote:Has anyone found any animals anywhere yet?

:thumbs_up: Impala at Nkhulu Picnic Spot :dance:
Have you seen KNP from the SKY yet??

Member No. 15342
-----------------------
weesy

Unread post by weesy »

Baboons at Sunset dam
African Lynx

Baboons, impalas and an elephant on the left hand side of the road about midway between CB and LS going towards LS.
madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach »

I was just wondering....as Google Maps Streetview is obviously a commercial application they'd have to comply with the filming and photography rules just like any other commercial photographer/filmmaker. I wonder if they applied for a permit...
African Lynx

I fail to see how they would commercially gain from it, but being Google, i'm sure they had all their ducks in a row before filming.

Besides, SANparks couldn't buy this kind of free advertising and exposure!!
skywalker2251

Unread post by skywalker2251 »

Elephants in the Sabie River...south of Lower Sabie about a km before the S28 turnoff.
Shutterbug

What can you find on Google Street View in the KNP

Unread post by Shutterbug »

I was cruising through the Kruger on Google Maps Street View (yes I miss KNP that much) and found this fender bender between Sunset Dam and Lower Sabi and to top it off the guys actually thought it was ok to get out their vehicles and "chat" about the accident :roll: has anyone else seen anything weird and wonderful or interesting on the Google Street View in KNP?

EDIT: Oops, sorry, there is a similar thread "Google Maps Street View of KNP"

Last edited by Shutterbug on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The earth has a circumference of 40 075 km and I have to travel 17 141 km to get to the Kruger, that's just not right :tongue:
winnydpu

Unread post by winnydpu »

There is a great sighting on S114 1.5km or so north of the road to the Hamilton memorial. A pack of hyena with a dead giraffe right at the side of the road. A white van is parked looking at them.

I have found a number of zebra, elephant, kudu and of course impala all over the portion of the park they have mapped to date. It appears to me that the animals are reacting to the Google car. When you move along the route you can see the impala and kudu turn and run- they seem much more skittish than they would be to a normal car.
winnydpu

Unread post by winnydpu »

RUMURUTI wrote:winnydpu, haven't managed to find your sighting. Can you give us the coordinates?

Here is the link (not sure why I didn't do this in the first place!):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-25. ... 9,,0,10.91"